Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:54:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Small scale Skirmish rules for Romans in Britain Any Suggestions please?  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: Small scale Skirmish rules for Romans in Britain Any Suggestions please?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 04:47:18 AM »
Heroes need to be metal! Not namby pamby plastic. 
Now, be a man and buy metal (or plastic if you really want) lol

For a slightly larger "skirmish" can Mortal Gods be adapted?

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 02:41:50 PM »
You could give a try to "Open Combat" : a few characteristic and abilities, simple mecanisms, the game is designed for skirmishes in pre-gun powder era.
You only need 5-10 miniatures and a 2'x2' battlefield.

Indeed.. Open Combat is simple and fun..

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 06:44:10 PM »
It was only this morning I remembered I have a box of Warlord Early Imperial Romans that were free for taking out a subscription for Miniature Wargames and were given to me by the subscriber who had no use for them. So there's the rank and file! Some metal officers etc would be the way forward I think. Anyone got a preference for a Briton/Celt figure line?

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 09:05:03 PM »
Old Glory Celts have a lot of variety. But you may not need such numbers.

Wargames Foundry Celts are nice.

WargamesFoundry EI Romans are the same height as the Warlord ones (as long as they are the Foundry Perry EIR and NOT the Foundry Steve Salah EIR which are several mm taller).

Warlord Celts are okay.  Victrix are nice. These two are plastics (Warlord also makes metal command). Foundry and Old Glory are lead.

Crusader and Blacktree Design are a couple of others.  Relic and Renegade are another two. 

I would check ebay seeing as though you are in England.  You will find a lot more listings on there than we would here in the colonies.  Check prices first for new so you know you are getting a deal from the ebay listings.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:27:11 PM by wmyers »

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2020, 06:44:39 PM »
Once again, many thanks for all the input and suggestions it's very much appreciated. I'll make sure I get some progress reports posted.
cheers
Johnny Boy

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2020, 02:37:48 AM »
The original post asked about rules for small scale skirmishes.  For about 12 Romans.

If you look at another post in this 'Age of Myths, Gods and Empires' forum section, you will see a thread entitle 'Warhammer Ancient Battles - Chariot Wars'.

The Original Poster there is using the Games Workshop Warhammer 'Mordheim'.  I think this may be just what you are looking for. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordheim

Here are some home-brewed rules based on Mordheim:

http://whfbnarratives.blogspot.com/p/mordheim-rulebook-compendium-edinburgh.html

If you use your favourite search engine and search for the rules I am sure you can find some pdf versions of original rules.