Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:17:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689486
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: hello this is my introduction, and about getting into 15mm dicetales  (Read 883 times)

Offline Dicetales

• Student
Hello I'm Mark Im Dice Tales on youtube and a word press blog and here
guess this is kinda gonna be an im a wargamer post..

I started out with fighting fantasy books then heroquest then D&D2nd ed then Boardgames and in recent years wargames infinity(competitively) then guildball, starwars legion,  then killteam and warcry and a bit of x-wing

lockdown has had me explore solo and coops and scratch build some 15mm scifi and fantasy bits and bobs for
rangers of shadow deep
Dragon Rampant
Hardwired and the Nightwatch 
ES Call to arms

and some systems i've read but not played Zona alfa, Advance song and blades, 5 Parsecs..sellwords and spell slingers, 4 against darkness and solo rpg Ironsworn
im sure there are some ive missed...

i'm from the northwest uk how do find players for 15mm as the bigger games are so dominant?

its the competitive part that got me playing games just because you where guaranteed an opponent and a day of games   even if i wasn't competitively focused, i dont think i'm a min maxer more a i like that unit it fits my story kinda guy..

The Nightwatch had me get 12s of thing goblins, orcs, archers  and now i have 2 tidy 15mm Dragon rampant armies orc and human . mostly Deamonworld Blighthaven and smattering of alternative armies stuff

and i also have a more skirmish set of scifi minis from groundzero games and Starbreach rules on the way ...

im wondering what the next step up from Dragon rampant ?  been looking at KoW, warlords of  erehwen ,  oath mark,,,, thud and blunder..

im hoping the smaller scale will enable me to get games in at family gatherings with nieces and brothers, where the larger scale was to much to collect for both sides and transport and table space!

think thats my download for now.. so Hello!

Offline boneio

• Scientist
Re: hello this is my introduction, and about getting into 15mm dicetales
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 02:29:19 PM »
Hi and welcome!

Looking forward to your updates. 15mm is a lovely scale. I've so far only painted 28mm but I've got plenty of 15mm in the 'lead pile'.

As regards finding games, I struggled until I met some folk through a Facebook group who turned out to be local, and they've become firm friends. We play everything, but not competitively. Dragon Rampant is a favourite, as is Rangers of Shadow Deep.
So, if you need players aside from roping in family, I'd take a look for local wargame clubs. Clubs are probably a bit 'flavour of the month' but you can likely make friends there and it only takes finding a few people who like fantasy games and aren't fussy over rules, and suddenly you'll have more people and games than you have time to play them  lol

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »
Greetings Mark.

Welcome aboard you will definitely find similar hobbyists and projects to yours here. I’m a massive fan of 15mm (WW2/sci-fi and hopefully fantasy at some point in the future).

In terms of bigger game I’ve played erewhon and thud, would say thud is more of a (excellent and fun) skirmish game than a massed rank thing. T&B would sit better alongside ES CtA and Rangers as a game that will allow you to game smaller party or warband adventures ( It’s very flexible and would allow you to use your own world/backstory easily).

Erewhon is a simple but fun game of massed battle that is easy to grasp and gives a good game, it’s also quite open as you can spec up your units once you’ve found a type/role that best fits what you’re trying to represent (there are lots of army lists available so there might be a named one that fits perfectly with your force) through small additions - equipment etc. It’s well worth checking out.

I haven’t played Oathsworn but have read it thoroughly and think the only bit I like is the kingdom generator system (which is similar to one my favourite opponent and I had made and used for a while) which is available for free without buying the rulebook. It’s not amazing (as some overexcited gamers would have you believe it is) but is a good idea and gives you a very accessible framework to make a land and force that is yours. From reading the rules I wasn’t taken with the game itself due to lack of options and a pretty, basic generic game (IMHO). The lack of content and the stream of upcoming add-ons make me think to wait to see a compendium when it’s finally finished. It might be different in play but I wasn’t convinced, the art is lovely though (and depicts beautiful swirling skirmishes - something I’d prefer). None of this means it might not be something you’d like just not particularly to my taste (looking online I might be the only person  :))

Apologies for the wall of text, welcome to the LAF,
Stay safe and well,
BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 12:11:36 PM »
Hello I'm Mark Im Dice Tales on youtube and a word press blog and here
guess this is kinda gonna be an im a wargamer post..

i'm from the northwest uk how do find players for 15mm as the bigger games are so dominant?

Whereabouts in the Northwest are you?

Offline Dicetales

• Student
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 11:23:33 PM »
Manchester.. i already frequent element steamforge and less then I like fanboy 3 eccles bolton wigan and Preston clubs