Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)  (Read 27619 times)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2020, 02:05:01 AM »
Introducing the prototype of the latest SHODDY variant, the Self Propelled Armoured Mole Mortar (SPAMM). I remember mole mortars from back in the day, although I believe they do not currently feature in the 40k rules.  I have had a go at adding some interior detail to the vehicle but sadly I do not have any Squats to crew it.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2020, 08:40:47 AM »
Introducing the prototype of the latest SHODDY variant, the Self Propelled Armoured Mole Mortar (SPAMM). I remember mole mortars from back in the day, although I believe they do not currently feature in the 40k rules.  I have had a go at adding some interior detail to the vehicle but sadly I do not have any Squats to crew it.

Excellent Spamm, Spamm, Spamm, Spamm, Spamm, Spamm, spammyty-spamm! :-* lol lol lol lol
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2020, 12:48:51 AM »
Thanks Storm Wolf. Bloody Vikings.

Hmm, maybe that has given me an idea for the grimdark nickname of this particular artillery unit...

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2020, 12:35:21 PM »
Its a knock off Griffon https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Griffon  lol

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2020, 09:25:40 PM »
Its a knock off Griffon https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Griffon  lol
Only if the mortar was installed upside down.

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2020, 09:37:39 PM »
Nice conversion, does the mole mortar fire through the floor?

Love the track guards, given me more food for thought of VBCW conversions...good man sir!

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2020, 12:37:43 AM »
TheMightyFlip: Yes, it looks as though the vehicles fulfill a similar role, but, as UVS notes, while the Griffon goes up and over, the SPAMM goes down and under (plus the SPAMM is marketed at at lower price point, of course).

Roo: Glad you like it! I look forward to seeing what further armoured innovations the VBCW produces (and I reserve the right to nick all of them for this thread!).

As for the Mole Mortar, I am planning to magnetise it so it can be disembarked and fired from a static fire position or, if required, fired from within the vehicle. I imagine there is a hatch in the floor, or possibly just a hole (the VBCW thread on the new Mongrel "daybomber" demonstrates that floors in military vehicles can be overrated). I imagine that the Imperial Guard, with its renowned regard for the lives of its men, would advise crews near the Front to travel with the mortar in place but the breech removed. In the event that the vehicle hit a mine the blast would be safely channelled up the barrel of the mortar. They would probably barely even notice they had been hit. Almost certainly better protection than actually having continuous armour plate beneath them. That should reassure them. And if they still complain about having a hole in the hull, there is always the Penal Legion.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2020, 12:46:16 AM »
Excellent work Bear :-* The tank is great 8) And precisely what I have done with a Baneblade; made it more real worlď o_o  lol by using realistically  scaled gun barrels, don't change it,it's fab :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2020, 09:21:36 AM »
TheMightyFlip: Yes, it looks as though the vehicles fulfill a similar role, but, as UVS notes, while the Griffon goes up and over, the SPAMM goes down and under (plus the SPAMM is marketed at at lower price point, of course).

Ah I see, had no idea what a mole mortar was, though the name should have given it away  ;D

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »
TheMightyFlip: I had not realised that Mole Mortars had been absent from 40k for so long (I played in the early 90s and now after a long break have played a few games of 8th Edition).  I never had one but Mole Mortars appealed to me because they felt both properly Sci-Fi (they don't exist in real life) but also a little bit ridiculous! For those who don't remember here is some old box artwork featuring a Squat-Crewed Mole Mortar.

The old lead Mole Mortars seem to be available on ebay. The SHODDY version is somewhat larger, as it is intended to be primarily vehicle mounted. Given SHODDY's practice of sourcing the cheapest possible materials available and of taking every possible short cut in the manufacturing process it remains to be seen whether the SHODDY versions will have as long a service life as those originally manufactured by the Squat Engineers Guild.

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2020, 07:03:16 PM »
This is a brilliant thread. Makes me want to buy some shoddy merchandise.
Paraquat Welcomes Careful Drivers a sort of narrative blog.

Slag Valley Bullett in the grim darkness of the far future, there is a newspaper.

Offline OctaviusAce

• Lurker
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2020, 04:47:07 PM »
What a great thread, I love the idea of taking something cheap and nasty and turning it into a presentable model. I really like the mortar version and I am impressed that you are modelling the interior.
I have had a go at myself and here is my version of the SHODDY. It is armed with Supersonic Targeted Anit-tank Weapons System (STRAWs). I hope you like it

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2020, 05:39:18 PM »
Those are great! I love to see imaginative uses of unlikely raw materials.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2020, 06:13:16 PM »
Brilliant!

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2020, 06:24:12 PM »
A whole troop of SHODDY STRAWS! Superb!  I really like what you have done to build up the rear of the vehicles, and the headlights, vision slits, hatches and all the other details really elevate the basic SHODDY chassis. The paint job is great too. I really feel that this variant could be a big success for SHODDY...

Edit: P.S. I am honoured your first post is on this thread - welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 07:06:45 PM by Bearwoodman »