Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)  (Read 27078 times)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2020, 08:22:51 AM »
You need Nick Briggs to narrate this.

That would be perfect! Mr Briggs, Let me know if you are reading this and I will PM you the full manuscript (you can have a free plastic tank to convert too - a Cyber-SHODDY would be great to see!) .

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2020, 08:51:39 PM »
OK, I need to see these painted up...  :D
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 01:44:21 PM »
"The new SPGs have been disembarked, Sir, and should all be in the workshop by nightfall".
"Nightfall, Major?" The Colonel frowned. He had hoped to inspect the new vehicles before lunch so to have the afternoon free to indulge his passion for birdwatching. The base was on the migratory route for the several unusual species and the lesser-spotted Catachan Flamingo was due to pass through any day.  "The workshop is only across the parade ground from the landing platform!"
"Yes, Sir.  A number of the vehicles appear to have issues with their engines. And the remainder have problems with their driveshafts. The Servitors are using Mechanicus Rhinos to tow them, but the Rhinos are struggling. The new vehicles are surprisingly heavy, Sir."
"Surprisingly?"
"Well, we thought they might be a bit lighter, Sir, given the thinness of the armour..."
"Hmm, sounds like a job for Sergeant Wilson and the other Ogryns. Remember during the retreat from New Paradise 4387(b)(viii), they lifted up that Land Raider and tipped it into the ditch to clear the road."
"I remember that, Sir. That Ultramarine Lieutenant inside was rather put out."
"Bloody silly place to try to fight a battle if you ask me" sniffed the Colonel. "Did he ever write that letter of complaint he threatened to?"
"No, Sir. None of the rearguard made it off".
"Ha! Told you so! Anyway, put Sergeant Wilson on the job, he will speed it up."
"I had thought of that, Sir, but he says he's done his back in".
The Colonel sighed. It was becoming clear that today was not going to involve Flamingos.
"There is one other thing, Sir."
"Yes?"
"The factory finish camouflage, it's, well... rather archaic. I have checked and it is regulation, but it is not one I ever have seen any regiment use. Disruptive Pattern RTB07."
The Colonel's eyes suddenly seemed very distant.  "Ah, the good old Necromundan Tiger Stripe. I remember my first platoon..." His voice tailed off.
"Shall I order them repainted in our standard Martian Spaghetti Ambush to match the Basilisks, Sir?"
There was a pause, as the Colonel seemed lost in his thoughts. Finally, he spoke. "Let's keep them as they are, for old times' sake."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:48:24 PM by Bearwoodman »

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
Here is a work in progress photo. I am in no way an AFV modeller so apologies for the quality of the paint job - hopefully you can see the effect I am aiming for.

I need to paint the stowage next including some rucksacks. What colour are Imperial Guard bergens? Black to match their flak jackets? Brown to match their pouches? Grey to match their battledress?

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2020, 08:57:35 PM »
Oh, that's cracking.. looking forward to seeing this finished.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2020, 09:26:45 PM »
Cheers Shahbahraz, glad you like it so far! I will crack on!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 09:52:41 PM »
That looks brill! Would actually suit Quar very well 8)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 07:57:21 AM »
That looks brill! Would actually suit Quar very well 8)

Thanks Blackwolf! Although... I dont know what Quar is! I googled "Quar 40k" and I am no wiser.  I played 40k in the 1990s and then more recently the latest edition with my son and his friends so there are big gaps in my knowledge!

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 09:08:02 AM »
Marvellous thread - very uplifting in these crappy times.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 10:34:21 AM »
I love this thread! I must find my old tanks now! I also can't wait to see what else you have in store.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2020, 07:52:08 PM »
Thanks Blackwolf! Although... I dont know what Quar is! I googled "Quar 40k" and I am no wiser.  I played 40k in the 1990s and then more recently the latest edition with my son and his friends so there are big gaps in my knowledge!
Hey mate,Google Quar Zombiesmith,that should see you right :)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 04:39:01 PM »
That's lovely , very impressive!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2020, 12:38:40 PM »
Muzfish4 - thank you for your comment, that means a lot. Glad you are enjoying it!

Beefcake - cheers! Look forward to seeing your tanks too!

Blackwood - thanks, I see what you mean!

Vodkafan - thanks, although it is really just a big bodge so far.

Matters are progressing.

40,000 years in the future, the S.H.O.D.D.Y. Tank/SPG Variant Design Committee  is working through its agenda...

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2020, 12:46:49 PM »
“So, Team, we are agreed on riveted plates of face-hardened plasti-papier mache for the armour on the casement. Great job on sourcing that, Vivienne, and yes noted on the need for waterproof paint, Andy.  Now on to item... 194. Ah, yes: Armament. Our customers will expect a S.H.O.D.D.Y. SPG to pack a punch. What have you got for us, Phil?”

“Thanks Sarah. Well, my team looked at what was market norm for vehicle mounted heavy support capabilities and stepped through a number of options with the aim of identifying a solution that really raises the benchmark for the sector.”

“Excellent, Phil. What did you come up with? Demolisher Cannon?”

“Er, not a Demolisher, Sarah, the chassis could not take the weight.”

“Ah, so some kind of Plasma Gun?”

“We trialled those, but they played havoc with the electrics. Dave in Testing still cannot get Prototype 13’s wipers to work when the radio is on.”

“Hmm, Earthshaker then?”

“Couldn’t get the licence. Ever since they won the Basilisk contract those guys have been acting as if they were something special. Our application to become an “Official Earthshaker(TM) Brand Partner” was declined, if you can believe it. No, we have had to look outside the envelope on this one, but we think we have found something that will really push the boat up the flagpole. A weapon system designed to be simple yet destructive.”

“Go on, Phil.”

"It is called the Projector, Engineers, (Non-Laser) Incendiary Device.  It uses an ingenious coiled spring mechanism to deploy a variety of munition types.  An approach first used with... a certain amount of success during a war on Terra in the mid 20th Century.”

“Interesting name. I always thought “Demolisher” and “Earthshaker” sound like they are trying a bit too hard. Performance wise, how does it compare to the other options we’ve discussed?”

“Er, well, the manufacturers claim that 84% accuracy was achieved during the Purifying of Forest World Tango 7(b).”

“That sounds good! What was the target?”

“It was a forest, Sarah.”

“I see. What about destructive power?”

“Very good apparently, particularly against saplings. And the unit price is just 10% of the Demolisher.”

“10%! I think we have the G to go with our S and P! Great work Phil! Now, item 195: Promotional Key Ring Designs. Take it away Steve...”

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »
The business end of a P.E.N.L.I.D.

Other angles:

And deployed to some far flung jungle outpost:

I want 100% focus tonight, lads. If we win the Battalion Darts again that's three in a row and we keep the trophy.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:05:12 PM by Bearwoodman »