Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:00:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)  (Read 27076 times)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2020, 01:17:13 AM »
Warren Abox - thank you for the compliment, I am glad you like it!

This project staggers on - here is a glimpse of the current work in progress:

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2020, 01:18:38 AM »
"Sarge, Sarge, come quick! Something's wrong with the Shoddy!"

"Don't worry lad, I know all about the dent in the turret. I caught the lads from C Company playing Netball in the shed again. They said it was cold outside! I said it's a tough game and if a little chill puts you off then maybe its not the sport for you! Or perhaps just wear something under those little skirts! Anyway, you know that Twitchy Shortchanged, the "star" sniper from their Ratling Platoon, well he fancies himself as a bit of a hot shot. Before I turfed them out he bet he could drop the ball through the Commander's hatch while standing next to the coffee machine. Of course he missed! The ball bounced just in front of the cupola and made a dent in he turret roof. He might be a crack shot with a las-rifle but there is no way he is getting picked as Goal Attack for the Regimental Team!"

"But Sarge..!"

"No need to fret, the armour is so thin all you need to do is sit in the Loader's seat and push up firmly with both hands and you'll pop it out. It'll look as good as new."

"Sarge, no, it's not that..."

"I hope you are not going to complain about the Boiling Vessel making every cuppa taste vaguely of camomile! I'm afraid that is a well known design fault. You just have to grit your teeth and take it like a soldier"

"No Sarge, it's even worse..."

"Those new track pins! They've snapped, haven't they!  Private Walker sourced them for me. They were expensive, but he claimed they were genuine Adeptus Mechanicus surplus. I pointed out the packaging labelled them as Administratum Issue, "Clips, Large, Paper, for the use of", but he swore that they were dual purpose."

"No, Sarge. I mean, yes, actually they have snapped, but that's not what I meant, Sarge, it's something else, something really strange."

"What then?"

"It seems to be, er, growing tentacles!"

"What? I'll take a look!"

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2020, 06:00:56 PM »
(Snip)   I have had a go at adding some interior detail to the vehicle but sadly I do not have any Squats to crew it.

You do if you replace 2nd ed plastic Gretchen heads with Dwarf heads, and their guns with mortar shells . . . Just saying.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2020, 06:55:47 PM »
Oooh! No! Leave the heads on, add ridiculous Santa-style beards (plastic Beastmen hair spares?) for the real S.H.O.D.D.Y solution to the new, Tyranid caused, Squat shortage! Hired Gretchen to crew the Mole Mortars would be much cheaper than the rare, in demand Squats!

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2020, 08:50:11 PM »
I agree with both of you, Moriaty.  The suggestions are truely in the S.H.O.D.D.Y. spirit (S.H.O.D.D.Y. does not do genetic engineering but if it did it would probably be the best genetic engineering company in the Imperium). The only flaw in your plan to resolve my unfortunate lack of Squats is that I don't have any 2nd edition plastic gretchen either.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2020, 09:31:31 PM »
I do . . .

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2020, 08:02:18 AM »
So, do you want me to send two ‘likely lads’ to volunteer for the programme, or do the conversion work myself and then send them?

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2020, 08:59:24 AM »
A generous offer! So as not to compromise your artistic vision (something S.H.O.D.D.Y. would never do) I suggest you carry out the "enhancements". I will then do my best to do justice to your work by painting them up in the (as yet unconfirmed*) uniform of the relevant SPAMM battery. I will PM you.

*although all tank commanders who think they are really tough wear something pink.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2020, 09:16:56 AM »
No problem, will get on it. Intend replacing one Gretchen gun with a part ‘shell’, part wood screw arrangement as per the squat figure. The other Gretchen I envision removing the right hand part of the gun (adding a ‘poking’ finger to the hand) and rotating the left hand part 45 degrees (adding buttons) to make a control unit. I’ll drill out the barrel end in case you decide to add an aerial or cable connection.

The Gretchen have a German ‘coal scuttle helmet’ vibe going on, which is ironic given your inclination to include pink in the colour scheme, and the Wehrmacht pink piping for panzer troops :x)

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2020, 10:03:05 AM »
That sounds great, thank you!

The Gretchen have a German ‘coal scuttle helmet’ vibe going on, which is ironic given your inclination to include pink in the colour scheme, and the Wehrmacht pink piping for panzer troops :x)

Yes that sounds appropriate! In fact when I made the comment I had in mind the chap being mocked on the cover of Too Fat Lardies "What a Tanker" rules.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2020, 09:59:38 PM »
I love this thread to bits.

And so we have... well... bits. ;D

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2020, 12:35:13 PM »
I love this thread to bits.

And so we have... well... bits. ;D

"When you think deeply about it at a philosophical level what are tanks if not a collection of bits? Oh, and bobs, of course. Mustn't forget the bobs!"

- Nigel Voidsplainer (during his brief tenure as Head of Thought Leadership, SHODDY Industries)

On the subject of Bobs and Tanks there are rumours that the SHODDY design team has obtained plans for a mighty armoured vehicle which, according to the listing on the online auction site from where they were acquired, ruled battlefields on Terra prior to the Dark Age of Technology. These ancient drawings had been thought lost but have miraculously surfaced in humanity's darkest hour. What innovations these plans will reveal and what inspiration they will spur can only at this stage be guessed, but the news of this discovery will no doubt prevent the unsleeping enemies of humanity from resting easy in their beds!

https://militaryhistorynow.com/2013/11/05/tanks-for-nothing-new-zealands-regrettable-ww2-era-fighting-machine/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 02:18:05 PM by Bearwoodman »

Offline chickenbane

• Scientist
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2020, 01:53:19 PM »
Can't wait to see the next version.
Paraquat Welcomes Careful Drivers a sort of narrative blog.

Slag Valley Bullett in the grim darkness of the far future, there is a newspaper.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2020, 07:50:58 PM »
Ah! Yes, the records are fragmentary but it appears to be some sort of early Chapter Chaplain tank? It's clearly referred to as the "Bobs Temple" tank.

Offline Snowdogs

• Bookworm
« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2020, 02:51:19 PM »
I have just read through the entire thread and been suitably impressed and not just a little surprised with what you have managed to do so far. As someone looking for cheap 40k proxies for an upcoming AM project, I do hope you carry on and provide me with lots more inspiration. ;)