Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:09:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)  (Read 27091 times)

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
Re: S.H.O.D.D.Y. 40k (Cheap Sci-Fi Tank)
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2021, 05:02:53 PM »
Think the 25lb Portee takes the biscuit. Can only imagine what the recoil does to the truck axle . . .

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2021, 07:22:18 PM »
I believe elagent and SHODDY don't go together lol ;D :D
Cracking work on this whole thread of madness keep up the SHODDY work :-* :-* :-*
'Elegant', no. 'Elagent', yes, absolutely!  lol lol lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2021, 09:13:50 PM »
"Welcome Commander! There will be time for pleasantries later but as time is short I suggest you immediately deploy your battery over there, just to the south of the Orangery in front of the Walled Garden. You will then have a clear field of fire over the Croquet Lawn."

"Very good, Sir. Er, my orders were rather vague. Will there be a briefing, Sir?"

"A briefing! Whatever for? We didn't bother with briefings during the Necron Awakening! We just mowed them down as they crossed the Tennis Court!"

"We certainly did, Sir, but..."

"And we didn't stand around having briefings when those slippery Harlequin Craftworlders came prancing by! No we did not! We lured them into the ornamental maze and cornered them between cold steel and some sturdy yew shrubs."

"We followed the field manual to the letter, Sir, it is just..."

"And there was certaintly no time for briefings when that Traitor Legion Warhound Titan appeared out of the lake! We simply took cover amongst the topiary until it tripped over the Ha-Ha. You recall that at that point Corporal Mellor managed to wedge the Head Gardener's pruning shears into the Titan's Turbo Laser causing a catastrophic electrical short circuit."

"Yes, Corporal Mellor did do rather well, Sir. "

"Indeed, although I think he now wishes they had been those ones with an insulated rubber grip, poor man."

"I can imagine, Sir. But, Sir, if it is not Necrons, Eldar or Traitors that you need our help with, what is our mission?"

"Have you been living in a cave Commander? As surely every soldier in this system knows, we are due to host the Militarum Regimentos Croquet Championship in one week's time and you can see with your own eyes the size of the molehills on the lawn! Those little blighters are wrecking the playing surface! The honour of the Garrison is at stake and I want you and your men to do your job and stop them!"

"Stop them, Sir?"

"You have Mole Mortars do you not? So shoot moles!"

"You want us to target... small burrowing mammals, Sir?"

"Gadzooks, man, finally the Throne Gelt drops! Now, hurry up and deploy! By the Emperor, that was hard work! I just hope the Commander of the Leman Russ Exterminator Squadron is a bit quicker on the uptake when he arrives. I simply cannot have those mice in the pantry getting their paws on the canapés!"

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2021, 09:26:03 PM »
Very good lol lol lol

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2021, 08:58:00 AM »
The chassis I ordered to start my S.H.O.D.D.Y. Americano Distribution  Branch seem to have cleared customs. So they are maybe three or four business days away. Gonna be heck,  to get those steering columns switched over the left side. I bought three sets of 10.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2021, 10:10:16 AM »
Ooooh. Think there might be one of those ‘Great Disturbance in the Force’ moments coming up :-)

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2021, 05:18:41 AM »
A quick check says my S.H.O.D.D.Y. tanks, all 30 of them, are in Bensenville Illinois which is a regional distribution center for the shipper. So I guess I jumped the gun and I'm still waiting.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2021, 03:33:13 PM »
Hi Bear,

So, having recovered the stock of Valerie Singletons, I have put together a Thudd Gun for the S.H.O.D.D.Y. SPG.

Pictured are the quad gun/mortar, chassis and two, gun shield uprights (all suitably riveted, due to my inner Ork). They should fit into the chassis . . .

Once you PM the address, I’ll consign then to the tender mercies of Royal Mail :-)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 05:30:33 AM by Moriarty »

Offline Cerebus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2021, 08:32:42 PM »
Awesome thread and very inspiring.  I see the basic pattern S.H.O.D.D.Y. is now significantly less than a pound each...

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2021, 08:35:38 AM »
gamer Mac: Glad you liked it!

Palaeomerus: It sounds as though you will be able to field a whole Armoured Brigade!  I am very much looking forward to seeing what you do with them. SHODDY Industries has always been very keen on sub-contracting, franchising, outsourcing and off-planeting where it results in costs being cut and legal liabilities being excluded.

Moriarty: PM sent - great looking work! Thank you for your generous offer!

Cerebus: Thank you, I do appreciate the feedback! The upfront cost of a basic SHODDY is indeed very reasonable. Sour-faced accountants lacking a romantic soul would probably want to focus on the whole lifetime cost of the vehicles in terms of repairs, running costs, required upgrades and replacing inevitably high losses (indeed I personally have spent considerably more on "bits" to be used on SHODDY variants than I did on the basic tanks) but you wouldn't want to be one of those people would you?

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2021, 08:13:03 PM »
My S.H.O.D.D.Y. s arrived in a big bag and they are the old green army man tanks only not a Pershing/Patton but a sci-fi generic tank with what looks like two electrodes with ceramic insulators on the end for guns which I assume cause a Jacob's Ladder effect when they fire. Or they could be light autocannons, or some kind of shaped charge rocket tube...AKA a bazooka, with some kind of protective gas channel to protect the crew, though they have very long barrels for that so it could be some kind of exotic air pressure driven gun,  maybe magneto driven, a spigot mortar, or just one of those weird "metalstorm" stacked caseless electric-primed bullet things we were hearing about in the 90s.

Anyway lots of plastic tanks in a 28mm useful scale.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2021, 02:11:40 AM »
I ordered some reaper paint for my S.H.O.D.D.Y. mystery project. It could turn out to be a real dog.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »
Picture of original Thudd Gun for reference.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2021, 10:15:54 PM »
Another package of crudely molded plastic vehicles has arrived! 

These tracked missile launchers are smaller than the standard SHODDY Mk 1, and in fact are clearly designed to a completely different scale. There is almost no detail on the front of rear and they appear to be armed with sidewinder air-to-air missiles.

Still, they do have the significant advantage of being very cheap, with a pack of 10 costing me only £5.77 including postage, meaning I could field 50 of these vehicles for the price of a single GW Manticore and still have a few quid left over.

I see potential for these to be converted into small tracked utility vehicles, with an armoured cab for a single driver at the front and a open rear compartment that could be adapted for a variety of uses...

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2021, 10:36:05 PM »
"I can't belive you are cancelling the SHODDY Shrew, Adrian! The Super-Mega-Ridiculously-Impractically-Large-and-Heavy segment of the AFV market is booming at the moment!  This could have been a real winner for the company, and now you are pulling the plug and sending all those Throne Gelts spent on massive drive train development and innovative suspension systems straight down the drain! Plus it took me ages to sellotape all those cardboard boxes together to make that mock-up for when the Deputy Mayor toured the factory!"

"Calm down, Geoff, I said we are parking the project, not cancelling it. It's just that the Board feel we ought to realign the ongoing development projects with our target market strategy and focus on those sectors where we have a competitive advantage. Don't look at me like that, Geoff, I mean we ought to play to our strengths."

"Er...strengths?"

"I mean we need to leverage our existing expertise."

"Um...expertise?"

"Look, Geoff, the point is that the formula for calculating my bonus has been re-worked to give greater weight to the numbers of units sold. I need volume, Geoff, and a flogging a handful of Shrews here and there is not going to cut it, whatever the profit margin. I've got little Tristram's school fees to cover as you know, and Sandra has her heart set on a Tallern Safari this Summer, and that's not a cheap holiday I can tell you!"

"I'll take your word for it, Adrian".

"But don't worry, I have a plan. Here, look at these photos, Geoff.  Do you recognise this vehicle?"

"Hmm, well, it's small, open-topped and tracked. The passengers do not look very comfortable. I don't think I have ever seen it in the service of the Emperor. Is it a Martian Industries prototype?"

"No, Geoff, these pictures are from Terra, In the mid twentieth century. This was the most widely-produced tracked vehicle of its time! Sales were far higher than any gun tank!  It was called a "Carrier" and it saw action in environments from desert to the jungle. Its standard design was adapted to fulfil a wide variety of roles. I want you to to design a 41st Millenium SHODDY equivalent! A Standard Tracked Infantry Carrier."

"OK, so what is the design spec?"

"Let's see: thin armour, weak armament, capacity to transport a small number of infantry in cramped discomfort, average mobility."

"Hmm, any flexibility on the last point?"

"Possibly, yes."

"Then I think we can do it!"

Thus was the SHODDY S.T.I. Carrier conceived.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 02:05:52 AM by Bearwoodman »