Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:22:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686459
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) Whiteout The Arctic survival miniatures game  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
(Commercial) Whiteout The Arctic survival miniatures game
« on: January 24, 2020, 10:40:10 AM »
Following a successful kickstarter and delivery to backers, Whiteout, the game of Arctic survival is launched today as a retail product line which includes a full colour 90 page A4 rulebook together with an extensive line of miniatures, vehicles and terrain for gaming in the Arctic.

Whiteout is a solo/co-op miniatures game set in the Arctic wastes.
 It is a game of survival whilst trying to achieve your government’s nefarious aims.   You are challenged with completing your mission while both the enemy and the environment try their best to kill you.
Unlike many miniatures games it is not played against an opponent, but against the game’s system itself. The games can either be played solo or with a group of like-minded individuals. However, when playing with others, you are all on the same side working together as a team in order to overcome the hazards and dangers that the game system throws against you.

The gameplay for Whiteout follows a simple format. It is based on two sets of card decks: Terrain and Encounter.
 To begin, a plain terrain tile is placed in one corner of the table. Characters are placed on the terrain tile.
 To move into a new terrain tile, a character needs to move to the tile edge. At this point a Terrain Card is drawn. A terrain tile is added to the table that matches the card drawn. An Encounter Card is drawn and placed face down on the new terrain tile. When this tile is entered, the Encounter Card is turned over and must be resolved. This procedure continues until the mission criteria is fulfilled or all party members have perished in the snow.

The mission is broken down into days separated by overnight camps. These may be forced by Encounter Cards or you may choose to camp early in order to recover lost Endurance or Sanity.
 There is also an Equipment Deck. Each character is able to carry up to four ‘hands worth’ of equipment. Equipment is chosen at the start of the mission according to the mission briefing. Equipment may be ‘Lost’ or ‘Banished’, or new equipment found, during Encounters.

Website Link:http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Whiteout
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 09:54:33 AM by Elk101 »
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: (commercial) Whiteout The Arctic survival miniatures game
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 09:03:19 AM »
Interesting.

Does the rulebook:
https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Products/%22Whiteout%20Rules%22
come with the terrain and encounter cards?

How large are the terrain tiles?

I hope you will be at Salute.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: (commercial) Whiteout The Arctic survival miniatures game
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:10:46 AM »
Terrain tiles are 12"x12" or 10"X10" but it doesn't really matter.  Visibility is limited to the length of one tile edge anyway. 

The system works with dedicated cards or just 3 packs of playing cards but it flows better with the correct cards as there is less referring to tables. 

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
Re: (Commercial) Whiteout The Arctic survival miniatures game
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 11:31:01 AM »
Yes we will be at Salute.
There are 4 options for cards, we have some dedicated card packs available, as Rich says you can use normal playing cards, you can download the free PDF's and print your own from QR code in rulebook, or you can photocopy the card images that are included in the book.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 03:37:20 PM »
Thanks Rich H.

And thanks Chris. Good news about Salute - see you there (I have just started my buy list...).

Offline Tadgie

• Bookworm
  • Too many projects. Too little time.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »
Hi, ok so stop twisting my arm I have ordered the rule book.
Bank manager you can pipe down too coz I don’t care......it’s my overdraft anyway.....
Couldn’t see the cards on the website though???
Are there any gameplay videos about or in the pipeline please?
 :) :) :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:41:00 PM by Tadgie »

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 06:41:44 PM »
I've got a few bits & pieces to add to website on Monday.
I will film a video play through in next couple of weeks, for now there is a good playthrough on my hobby blog @ https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Categories/Hobby_Blog/Whiteout_-_Sattelite_Recovery_mission

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 06:37:13 PM »
Got my copy today, the wife says Ive got to sign it and put it away as an heirloom  lol

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 09:30:47 AM »
Wargames Illustrated have just made a 5 minute You Tube video review of Whiteout.

https://youtu.be/xoL0CuqfufY

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 01:03:51 PM »
Interesting, though only half of the "screen" was displayed on my Chrome browser, the left half if you are interested. Landscape and portrait had no effect.

I will see what it looks like on a real computer.