Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:38:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686549
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gunze Sangyo acrylic paints and Mr Surfacers  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
Gunze Sangyo acrylic paints and Mr Surfacers
« on: January 24, 2020, 08:45:26 PM »
Has anyone used the new-ish acrylic Gunze Sangyo acrylics and knows if they share the same qualities with Tamiya acrylics, namely the possibility to thin either with normal tap water or with manufacturer's own thinner liquid.

And what about the various Mr Surfacers, available in bottle and spray forms - any good for 28mm models with their filler attribute? (Or more oriented towards tanks, planes and large scale figures...?) And what is "Mr Dissolved Putty" - liquid Green stuff or what?

This kind of stuff seems to be all the rage with anime and mecha model crowds, but are not that common here in northern Europe. Any comments on their usability for traditional 28mm wargaming miniatures would be highly valued.

(That a paint called "clear" in Japanese usage is a synonym for Euro-American colourless varnish/lacquer is what I know so far.)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Re: Gunze Sangyo acrylic paints and Mr Surfacers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 02:42:58 PM »
Ma. K. folks seem to love this stuff.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 06:28:31 PM »
Ma. K. folks seem to love this stuff.

What or who is Ma K?

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 06:33:10 PM »
I’ve been using Gunze Sangyo paints for decades.

They are fairly thick out of the bottle, so you are best thinning them down. They are more flexible than most paints (you can paint leather jackets with them and they won’t flake off). Many colours are gloss or semi gloss so you’ll need a matte varnish.

They are very good.

Being water soluble they were very exciting to use after Humbrol and Testors.

The spray primers (mr surfacer) are very good. They do not fill, that I’ve experienced. The larger the number, the finer the particles.  1500 is pretty smooth.

No idea what dissolved putty is.  You’d best use your favourite search engine.

This may help:  http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/tools_techniques_and_reference_materials/f/18/t/114013.aspx

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=263

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemList.php?cId=33
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:49:05 PM by wmyers »

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 10:58:58 AM »
Many thanks for the replies so far. I think ErikB refers into one Machinen Krieger series of Japanese mecha models and associated model figures of ~ 1:20 scale. Wmyers thanks for the detailed info, I'll be checking out the water based paints and Mr Surfacers in some not too distant future.

I use P3 Formula acrylic paints by Privateer Press (think: Citadel paints of the 1980s-1990s) and they're excellent for 28mm figure painting, but can give a bit blotchy results with some of the white or very light colours. Like, you dip the brush tip into the paint pot and it's half dryed up already when you move the brush tip from pot to the model figure, trying to paint eyes and teeth (like the orc face on my avatar picture).  As I have a WH40K Eldar collection in need of paint, with plenty of models that have large, smooth surfaces, I'll check out if the Sangyo acrylics would be of help there.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 11:06:25 AM »
Mr Colour Thinner has become my go-to for both Gunze and Tamiya paints. It's pretty magical stuff tbh (and a fine paint-stripper too if that's what you need :-) ).
I use the Mr Surfacer 500 quite a lot for both vehicle and figure modelling.
Gunze paints are really nice (and good FS matches) but I've found them pretty horrid with water tbh. With dedicated thinner they are pretty much up there with Tamiya for quality and very similar.

Bonus vote goes to Mr Softner and Mr Setter for decals - great stuff and better than Microsol IMO.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 03:21:50 PM »
I believe that microsol is just white vinegar.

And yes, exactly, regarding Ma. K.