Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691046
  • Total Topics: 118365
  • Online Today: 809
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Attracting blog traffic  (Read 8746 times)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Attracting blog traffic
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2020, 02:18:25 PM »
I have joined a number of Facebook groups and find that the same questions are asked over and over again as there is no way of searching Facebook that I can see.

Facebook is wildly inefficient at conversation. It makes sense since Facebook's audience isn't the people trying to post comments or start discussions but the people placing ads.

It is the prime reason why I loathe the site. Trying to follow threads and search in groups is next to impossible. I could put up with a lot of Facebook's crap if it at least did a good job.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2020, 10:59:42 PM »
Facebook is wildly inefficient at conversation.

You can say that again!! Every time I have asked a serious question specific to a period in the appropriate wargames FB group I've been bombarded by 'likes' and never received a reply but for two occasions and a very paltry reply at that  o_o lol

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 11:15:37 PM »
You can say that again!! Every time I have asked a serious question specific to a period in the appropriate wargames FB group I've been bombarded by 'likes' and never received a reply but for two occasions and a very paltry reply at that  o_o lol

Not just the quantity of responses also that the presentation of the discussions is crap. You need multiple clicks to see all the responses in a thread and the notification system is utter shite.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2020, 09:49:50 AM »
Not just the quantity of responses also that the presentation of the discussions is crap. You need multiple clicks to see all the responses in a thread and the notification system is utter shite.

100%. It's actually confusing even when you make a comment and it sometimes appears out of context in the thread- even if you tag the person who asked the question to give a clear indication that you are addressing them  :o

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2020, 10:14:30 AM »
... the need (on most) for images to be hosted elsewhere ...
Good point on two counts:
[1] The likes of Blogger offer free image hosting and they allow hot linking to fora etc.  Without my personal blogger account I would not be able to post pictures here.
[2] Judging by the number of questions about posting pictures I see in various fora, there are a lot of people who struggle with this especially if cut & paste doesn't work.

... some forums where I first shared my hobby activity have now closed down with the consequent ... loss ... mean I'd rather just post once in a place I can be reasonably certain it'll all be there for some time to come.
Again a good point.  Blogger may not be around for ever but it's got to be more stable than a small hobby forum.  Plus they offer excellent data retrieval pathways in the event of closure (unlike Photobucket).

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
Again a good point.  Blogger may not be around for ever but it's got to be more stable than a small hobby forum.  Plus they offer excellent data retrieval pathways in the event of closure (unlike Photobucket).

It's a relief to know that Martin. It was not pleasant trying to retrieve my pics from Photobucket!

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2020, 06:18:15 PM »
It does sorta defeat the purpose of the blog though :-)

Besides, a blog post can have photo galleries and formatting that the message board won't support. I often post one photo here and my blog might have fice or 6 photos often in a gallery.

The issues this can cause with formatting on many fora, plus the need (on most) for images to be hosted elsewhere means is isn't quite *that* simple in my experience.

This, together with the fact that some forums where I first shared my hobby activity have now closed down with the consequent tragic loss to the hobby of my fascinating insights ( :o) mean I'd rather just post once in a place I can be reasonably certain it'll all be there for some time to come.

Fair points.  :)
I can particularly understand the concern over losing your work should sites end up going down. Stars know I've ended up losing plenty of stuff that way...

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2020, 09:57:41 AM »
I have been blogging for more than 10 years and nearly gave it up after photobucket debacle, paying for the initial hosting until I had stripped out my photos. I originally had six blogs, one for ancients and medieval “Storm and Conquest”, one for 18th centur “Fine and Dandy”, one for my 18th century imagination and the clubs imagination campaigns “Duchy of Skanderburg” ,  one for Napoleonic “Australian Napoleonic Kreigspielers” one for ACW and Sudan “Follow the Plume” and finally a ww2 and modern blog “Kampfgruppe Willow”.

I then decided to focus on two, “Storm and Conquest” and “Kampfgruppe Williw” combining a few articles but predominantly dumping lots of articles and posts. I then paid for google storage and replaced all of the photos I could and dumping articles and bits that were ordinary quality. I now predominantly use my blogs for my own records and SEO searches for our Wargames business, helping push up our google presence.

As for links, I think people are lazy these days and want everything at their finger tips without searching for a answer first, Facebook particularly suffers from the same question regularly, plus the inability to find anything on there is frustrating. I still prefer forums but many are disappearing like blogs, some are still healthy but unless you are doing outstanding work you will hardly get a response. I have been of late commenting on blogs a lot more to get interaction.

I still link back to my Blog from here, Facebook, the Wargamers guild, and TMP. A lot of great information will disappear if blogs disappear.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »
I have been of late commenting on blogs a lot more to get interaction.

Well said Matt. I try to comment on blogs as much as possible. As well as a record of ones wargaming projects blogging should be a fun, participatory recreational activity. It used to be the case that the participatory element was more common. It was and still is a great way to exchange ideas.

That's it. Simple really.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2020, 12:27:28 PM »
...... blogging should be a fun, participatory recreational activity. It used to be the case that the participatory element was more common. It was and still is a great way to exchange ideas.....

I don't see it that way at all.
What is the benefit of a discussion of the quantity and types of vehicles in a given unit, or the banner designs of Knights at a given battle (as examples), if that information is spread out between 5 or 6 different peoples blogs?
A forum based discussion on the same subjects, where the same 5 or 6 people contribute at a single point is a far more valuable resource to the wider community.

Blogging is a very insular, self satisfying activity. I have looked at a few blogs linked from LAF posts as a result of discussion on this thread and see the same limited group of bloggers commenting favourably on each others posts, which is fine and pretty much replicates what is common at most games clubs; a friendly, mutually supportive chat amongst colleagues. However it does little to help involve new people or those outside of the close group.

As forum software became more user friendly it took over from the usenet group/Yahoo group type sites as a way to advocate and support the broadest involvement of people interested in a given topic or subject. Blogging is the exact opposite of that as it seeks to individualise content into peoples own sites rather than sharing it.

I think people who run and use blogs should ask themselves if they are spending the time necessary to write and post that content for their own benefit and enjoyment, or to provide a resource for the wider community.
If the former then great, blogging is working for you, if the latter I would suggest putting that same content on a shared public forum would be more useful.

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2020, 01:44:53 PM »
I have joined a number of Facebook groups and find that the same questions are asked over and over again as there is no way of searching Facebook that I can see.

Facebook Groups have a search box in the column to the left of the posts.  But it's still really difficult to find things. 

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2020, 01:56:47 PM »
I use feedly to keep track of a lot of blogs, but rarely like/visit them directly. I suspect that affects stats as well.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »
If the former then great, blogging is working for you, if the latter I would suggest putting that same content on a shared public forum would be more useful.

You do know that people are allowed to do things for their own enjoyment?

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2020, 02:07:39 PM »
Facebook Groups have a search box in the column to the left of the posts.  But it's still really difficult to find things.

People don't search. Its easier for them to ask a question then spend the time to research something.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2020, 03:43:22 PM »
I think people who run and use blogs should ask themselves if they are spending the time necessary to write and post that content for their own benefit and enjoyment, or to provide a resource for the wider community.

I know that I Blog for my own satisfaction.

Tony