Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:03:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My cyberpunk/shadowrun/modern fantasy conversions - Goblin technomage 12 April  (Read 4533 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
I'm in a bit of a cyberpunk/modern pulp phase just now. In addition to humans I decided to add a fantasy element, taking things into Shadowrun territory.

I want to keep things as usable as possible in both modern and future settings, so I've not (yet) gone overboard with the cyberpunk elements.

The first figures I changed were ones that I bought to support Goblin Aid back in 2014. I never did anything with the figures and they had actually ended up in my "unlikely to be painted" pile until this project.

I have a bad habit of forgetting to take photos, so the before pic for the first one isn't mine

I removed and replaced the weapons. I cut away the hat and decided to try a mohawk. Reasonably happy about how it turned out

Next up was another pirate with two pistols. He didn't need too much work. I gave him some shoes and swapped out the existing hands and weapons for some from the Wargames Factory Male zombie survivor sprue

Before

After

There are quite a few more to post, so I'll add to the thread as I get the photos processed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:26:12 PM by zemjw »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: My cyberpunk/shadowrun/modern fantasy conversions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 09:27:39 PM »
Nice!
Love to see them painted.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 10:19:49 AM »
Ha, that's a cool project. :D Looking forward to seeing more. You sure aren't the only person with GoblinAid minis on their 'likely not to get painted' pile, so this might help these anonymous people with their woes. ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 11:00:27 AM »
Brill  8)

Love the mohican  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 09:05:02 PM »
Nice!
Love to see them painted.

Thanks :). I am busy painting the mohawk, baseball bat chap and the Orc below, so I'll post pics of them when they're done (I'm not the world's fastest painter  :()

Brill  8)

Love the mohican  :D

Thanks :). My first attempt at the mohican ended up with me just pushing the putty from side to side. I left it as a sort of futuristic shark fin thing, but later realised I could use the fin as a support for an actual mohican

The next one is another Goblin Aid pirate

On him I removed the hat, replaced the pirate pistol with a modern one, added a missing shoe, gave him a shirt and tidied up the bottom of his trousers. The putty/metal transitions don't look nearly as bad in real life, so I'm hopeful that they'll disappear when painted

I'm sure I got the Orc from Heresy, but I can't see it on their site just now. When I saw him pointing, I thought - "there's an ideal location to glue a gun and get some "gangsta" type pose". He needed shoes and I cut away his breastplate and chainmail and turned them into a t-shirt. The gun is really difficult to see in the pictures below. However, as mentioned above, I'm busy painting him just now, so hopefully the painted pictures will be clearer.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 11:12:08 PM »
Very cool  8)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 11:19:16 PM »
Great stuff :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 05:28:57 PM »
Thanks folks  :D

Next up is the last of the Goblin Aid conversions. This figure came with a gyrocopter like attachment that sat on his head. Those parts are in the bits box and I decided to turn him into a mechanic.

The hammer below is an essex one that I filed down to make it square. The wrench is from a set of tools I made and had 3d printed on shapeways. Fun shapeways pricing meant that a sprue with two sets of tools was the same price as a sprue with a single set of tools. However, a sprue with four sets of tools was more than twice as expensive as the two sets of tools o_o

There was a bit of his hat to fill in and hands to add. Hands are still something I panic about, mainly trying to get both of them the same size.

The tool sprue

In addition to conversions I've also been looking at sculpting some figures digitally. Despite having owned zbrush for years, this is probably the most I've ever done with it.

The figure is meant to be a sneaky Goblin hacker doing hacking type stuff. However, he seems more like he's having a virtual waltz with a dopey grin on his face :) I got him printed out and primed his this morning. The figure looks okay, so hopefully he'll paint up without too many problems.

I'm still not sure how I managed to get him off-center on the slotta tab ::)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 08:24:05 PM »
A couple more digital bits.

One of my plans is to do head swaps on some of the Necromunda gangs, to add in elves, orcs etc. I didn't have any half orc heads, so sculpted my own from the base head that comes with zbrush. I created a sprue with some variants and got it printed on shapeways

As a test piece I used a wizkids unpainted merchant that I had picked up.

Image from wizkids' site

I wanted to de-medieval it, so filled in all the gaps on the clothes and trousers. I should probably have cut it away and rebuilt it, but it's not a fun material to work with and this was just a test.

I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it looks okay primed

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 09:01:24 PM »
I picked up the Gretchin box from GW for more conversion fodder.

The figures are quite nice, but have comically large guns and not much clothing. First under the knife was the rifle guy (image from the box set, sadly not my painting :))

I cut away the gun and added shoes

He then got a coat and a new, more sensibly sized sniper rifle

He's primed at the moment and I'm fairly happy with how he turned out :)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 09:08:38 PM »
First of a couple of regular gang members. First picture again from the box art

I cut away the loincloth and grenade, gave him shoes and fixed up him trousers.

A more sensibly sized pistol finished him - although I do regret not replacing the pouch with a holster

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 08:49:17 PM »
second of the regular gang members

He got trousers and a shirt, but at least the figure had shoes :)

Added the gun to finish him off

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 08:54:28 PM »
Another figure I found in my "never paint pile" was an Orc archer - I have no idea who the manufacturer is. I looked at the figure for a while before deciding that I could turn the bow into a staff and make it a wizard/technomage type figure.

Bare figure with bow straightened and paperclip wire showing the shape of the staff

He had a huge quiver full of arrows on his back, which I cut away.

I decided to make him definitely modern/near future, so gave him a tactical vest and a very large gun on his back. The "backstory" is that the piece in his right hand is the bit missing from the staff and is what activates it (archery poses are quite tricky to turn into something else without a huge amount of work, so that was the simplest reason I could come up with for his hand to be in that pose  ;D)

The completed figure

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
I thought I had finished with the Goblins for a while, but realised I didn't have a leader figure. I decided to convert this one to an Indiana Jones type figure

Much cutting away gave me this

Much greenstuff later gives me this. I just need to glue the pistol in his hand and blend it in. I'm not 100% sure about the whip, but I think I get away with it

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Alongside the Goblin I'm converting the Heresy Ogre to a bounty hunter

My first attempt at his tactical vest involved a series of small pouches and some clunky straps

I wasn't really happy with these, so redid the pouches considerably larger (based on the size of the GW Ogryn pouches) and redid the straps as well. I'm still not crazy on the straps, but I think they're better.

I've added a t-shirt, holster and a tracker device on his left wrist

I have a large plastic pistol for his right hand. It's from an action figure that I picked up at some point, so I need to check its plastic will take paint. Other than that, I have to redo his right index finger (it was curled around the axe, but needs to be resting on the pistol), so he's nearly finished.

I have painted the first of the figures, but the pictures didn't turn out great. I'm going to try to get some better lighting on them and see if they look less blurry