Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:18:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ghosts of the Shadow-Grave  (Read 21895 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Professor O's Ghost of Shadow-Grave
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2020, 11:49:33 AM »
proper green goblins. Stan (Lee) would be happy. Excellent.

going back to your board - yes, really do love that look:

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »
pic:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:55:23 AM by Bloggard »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2020, 11:55:10 AM »
I do like the limited colour scheme it's nice to see blue on goblins.
Just a little after thought on your hills.If you do manage to find the time to add to them. You might want to consider doors/cave entrances that slot over the side wall of your hills.(stops people asking how you get in and doesn't impact on the modular nature of your work.)

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2020, 12:26:59 PM »
@Bloggard: thanks man! I've never been able to paint goblins a different color! It's just engraved in my mind ... goblins be green. I actually did a 50 50 mix of Vallejo flat green and flat earth for that skin tone, shaded by adding black and highlighted by adding flat skintone and then white.

@tin shed gamer: thanks for the comment! I did limit myself to only Vallejo flat colors for these. Flat blue, green, yellow, red. Always mixed with either flat brown or flat earth to make them more earthy! And black and white of course ... and some metal colors ... 8)

I think I know exactly what you mean for the doors. If you look at my very first post on pictures 4 and 5 those walls have door shaped insets that slide out. I think I'll make the same using crooked staff publishing cavern doors (they are on his cave tile set I think) for the hills.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Re: Professor O's Ghost of Shadow-Grave (greenskins p.5)
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2020, 12:29:44 PM »
Ok it's been over a week! I've been trying to DIY some 'contrast' paints as I continue painting Gobs.

So I spread all of my inks and washes on a piece of paper to see what they really look like and then the idea is to use the washes (citadel and army painter) as a base and mix them with inks to strengthen them before applying. I prepared the models for the inks with 1) grey primer, 2) Earthshade Wash, 3) white drybrush before applying the inkwashy contrasts.

From left to right: vallejo game color red, violet, blue, green, yellow, skin wash INKS. Model color Smoke, Wood grain, Natural woodgrain.
The washes are: Nuln oil, Reickland fleshshade, agrax earthshade, Army painter, soft tone, green, blue, purple and red.

And a couple of pictures of 8 new goblins. It's not as clean as the last 5 but to be honest at arms length they kinda of look better ... the ones from the last batch look a bit dark on the table in comparison and were much more work!

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Re: Professor O's Ghost of Shadow-Grave (DIY contrasts? p.6)
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2020, 12:46:26 PM »
And, my friend came buy with his Gnols, we managed to fight through the entire "The Beacon Towers" mission in one go!

It was an absolute BLOODBATH!
He came with a warhound and a savage, I came with an archer and a raptor. (we counted pets as half a companion otherwise we'd be limited to 3). In the first scenario for the bridge guards everyone was out of action except my ranger by the end of turn 6 I think. I ended up running around to the camp, kept winning fights without damaging so I pushed off and ran away until I got into their camp and picked up the scroll. And I promptly fail the roll to benefit from it ... total 18Xp on that one and rolled a 1 for my raptor's injury roll ... RIP

The picture is of a Man at Arms that showed up end of turn 1, tried to get away across the ford. He then held it for 2 turns against 2 Gnoll fighters but went down after killing one of them.

The bottom level of Tor Varden went great nothing much to note.

The upper level of Tor Varden was much like the Bridge Guard. Everyone died except my friend's Ranger ... We'd found a two handed Elemental weapon and some herbs to boost damage so the plan was to send in the Savage with that equipped to try to murder the evil knight, but on his first attempt the knight nonchalantly crushed his skull with a backhand blow (20) urgh ... And we rolled a 2 on his survival roll ... he had 4 progression points :'( AAAARGGGG

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Re: Professor O's Ghost of Shadow-Grave (RaiNyDay)
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2020, 03:44:24 PM »
rAInYdAY pictures, been a while! Lacked the motivation.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2020, 07:24:30 PM »
crikey - missed those goblins - they're great  :-*

so those were done with your modded contrast paints? Look to have worked a treat.

* and your quote: "the ones from the last batch look a bit dark on the table in comparison and were much more work!"

this is the thing, isn't it?
Contrast paints and inky washes etc, really can 'work' at table-top distance etc.
I think a sad truth is that some of the exquisitely 'properly' painted figures you see around in pics etc (and in my collection - losing the exquisite bit!) do look a bit ... dull in that context.

from what I can see, you're really nailing it re: paintjobs.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:58:12 AM by Bloggard »

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »

* and your quote: "the ones from the last batch look a bit dark on the table in comparison and were much more work!"

this is the thing, isn't it?
Contrast paints and inky washes etc, really can 'work' at table-top distance etc.
I think a sad truth is that some of the exquisitely 'properly' painted figures you see around in pics etc (and in my collection - losing the exquisite bit!) do look a bit ... dull in that context.

from what I can see, you're really nailing it re: paintjobs.

Thanks Bloggard! really appreciate the very thoughtful comment! Yes those goblins were painted almost completely with washes reinforced with inks and I'm glad you like them! I'm slowly learning that the context is more important than the 'quality' of the paint job. Nobody can actually see the detail that miniature photography shows ...

Here's a little scene with some of crooked staff publishing's latest little paper-craft dungeon terrain I made yesterday:

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uM5xjsfMhE

Always forget to link things ... it's a high quality video tutorial as usual and he deserves more views ^.^

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:00:57 AM by scatterbrains »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2020, 10:25:09 AM »
amazing - from the pics I wouldn't know they were paper!

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2020, 03:36:51 AM »
Here's a few pictures from last couple weeks.

GW's Kislev teasers have given me an urge to make some Tundra terrain ... so I made a couple of hills. I bought the grass tufts but the flocking and snow are homemade ^.^.

Assembled and based some Deus Vult Fireforge miniatures for a similarly themed warband. Probably for Frostgrave (there's a tracker metal miniature in there too)

Making some papercraft dungeon stackers using cardboard and some printable dungeon tile textures from crooked staff. Working on some 2 and 3 inch wide ones and might double the number of 1 inch wide ones sometime.

And finally making a cardboard building with some leftover boxes (italians make good shaving products) and going to use that project to do 30 minutes per day I think.

Could not spread myself thinner ...

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
Ghosts of Shadow-Grave
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2020, 01:27:49 AM »
Some progress on the 'proraso' village building. Nice deck for an archer to lay an ambush from and some egg carton stonework.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Ghosts of the Shadow-Grave
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2020, 10:02:06 AM »
More great stuff all 'round SB.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2020, 08:47:13 AM »
Thank you BG,

Finished stonework on lower part, added more planks and some windows on the tall part.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2020, 03:47:14 PM »
Meanwhile, on the other side of the house: