Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:22:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CLASH in Normandy  (Read 1931 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
CLASH in Normandy
« on: February 04, 2020, 01:24:53 AM »
Now that we are getting into fulfilling the Kickstarter for CLASH of Spears and that the backers have their pdf rules, I get to start playtesting dark ages again. We had done some playtesting early on but when we went into full ancients playtest mode dark ages was put on hold.

Well now the draft lists are available to players. These are early versions are sure to change a lot over playtesting for balance and research reasons.. but they are still fun to play..

This is a game we did about two weeks ago with a force of Vikings fighting a Norman patrol...

see the report in pictures below or follow this link the gallery :  http://www.thewargamespot.com/clash-in-normandy/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: CLASH in Normandy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 09:18:04 AM »
Nice looking game and a great graphic read  8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »
Looks like a nice sized game :)
So when you say playtesting Dark Ages, will you be producing a Dark Ages version of the rules, or will your core ancient rules serve for the whole period through to early medieval?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 11:41:35 AM »
Looks like a nice sized game :)
So when you say playtesting Dark Ages, will you be producing a Dark Ages version of the rules, or will your core ancient rules serve for the whole period through to early medieval?

Actually that's a really interesting question. Given the nature of Medieval retinues, how they were recruited and vis a vis fought together, it might be an idea to introduce some rules to reflect this?

If you're interested in delving into it more there is a great set of articles on this very subject in Hobilar 103 and 104, the Lance and Longbow Society journal that is available from this link:

https://lanceandlongbow.com/shop.php

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 01:40:16 PM »
The core rules are the same but the lists will have to incorporate the characteristic elements of they medieval/early medieval warfare.. An obvious example would be medieval cavalry being very different from ancient cavalry , but there will be other aspects..

We already have the early playtest version of the rules and hope to gather playtesting info from the extended player base since our playtest process is much more open than those of other game authors...

But even at this stage the game feels different from when you play ancients, and it is fun to switch settings like this...

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »
Actually that's a really interesting question. Given the nature of Medieval retinues, how they were recruited and vis a vis fought together, it might be an idea to introduce some rules to reflect this?

If you're interested in delving into it more there is a great set of articles on this very subject in Hobilar 103 and 104, the Lance and Longbow Society journal that is available from this link:

https://lanceandlongbow.com/shop.php

fantastic.. I’ll dive into them !

are those in the collected articles in pdf offered ?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 01:45:08 PM by seldon »

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 03:17:27 PM »
Great looking game. I'm very interested in this. I was sorely tempted by Clash before but I don't think I can resist this. Curious, what mat did you use it looks very good?
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
fantastic.. I’ll dive into them !

are those in the collected articles in pdf offered ?

No, the pdf's just go up to issue 50 but seeing as we're now over issue 100 there might be a CD in the making, I honestly don't know but I can certainly ask.

If you're in a hurry try the email link and ask for copies of issues 103 and 104. If you explain what they're for I'm sure they will oblige. The articles are titled The Treatment in Wargames of the Retinue in Medieval Armies, Mike Horah. I'm sure the author would be thrilled.  8)

BTW, if you're interested in Medieval Warfare then the issues 1-50 pdf is excellent.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 07:13:49 PM »
So, explain a bit to me..

1)  the 1-50 pdf , I'm getting.. I love reading everything I find..

2) those issue you mention.. what is the normal way of getting them ?  I don't need special treatment.. I'm happy to acquire them the regular way, specially if it helps the publication..

thanks !
Francisco

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 07:17:32 PM »
So, explain a bit to me..

1)  the 1-50 pdf , I'm getting.. I love reading everything I find..

2) those issue you mention.. what is the normal way of getting them ?  I don't need special treatment.. I'm happy to acquire them the regular way, specially if it helps the publication..

thanks !
Francisco

OK, the normal way of getting the journal is by buying a years subscription. I would ask for it to be backdated or it will start from now. That's why I was pointing out that you needed to ask for those issues of the mag :)

You can do that here:
https://lanceandlongbow.com/subscription.php

Let me know if you need anything else Franciso.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 04:00:36 PM »
Great looking game. I'm very interested in this. I was sorely tempted by Clash before but I don't think I can resist this. Curious, what mat did you use it looks very good?

Cigar Box Mat :)

Very nice mat, you don’t see it in the pic but the fabric is so soft that we had many hills underneath breaking the topography.. just for aesthetics.. they were gentle hills

Online wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »
I really am looking forward to the the dark ages version. I really liked what i saw with the ancient version but I do 15mm ancients and big battles, no intrest in starting another skirmish porject. However, I and my club have lots of Dark age figures and would love this. Currently we use pig wars, an ok game but lacks something.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 12:26:47 PM »
This does look interesting - looking forward to seeing more.

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 05:50:47 PM »
Wow, great AAR! I'm already interested in Clash of Spears as a way for me to paint and play some ancients, but a Dark Age supplement would be a great excuse to get back to work on my Normans. Incidentally, is there a place where I can purchase the existing rule book? Searching on google only returns the closed Kickstarter page and a few blog results highlighting the game. I'd like to read over the rules and see if it looks like something I could get my friends into. If it's not being distributed yet then I suppose I'll have to wait.