Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rise of the Ottoman Empire  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
Rise of the Ottoman Empire
« on: February 25, 2020, 07:34:03 PM »
A new document drama Rise of the Ottoman Empire on Netflix at the moment looks pretty good thus far.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Rise of the Ottoman Empire
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:54:48 PM »
A new document drama Rise of the Ottoman Empire on Netflix at the moment looks pretty good thus far.

Yeah, from what I have seen of it's not bad. I'm a bit fuzzy on the particulars Ottoman military history, the only book I've read on the subject being the (actually rather excellent) Vlad the Impaler Warhammer Ancient Battles supplement(!), so I found it hard to tell what was dramatic license in places and what was based on fact.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 03:07:34 PM »
ive watched it fully. I dont know much about the subject to be honoust but I've heard sounds that the beginning gives a pretty good account but by the end there supposedly is a bunch of nonesense... No idea if this is true but I liked it ...it was entertaining at least.

Offline jeffreythancock

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 03:56:06 PM »
Did the Turkish SCA furnish the troops?!  ;)

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 10:11:11 AM »
I think it gave a pretty good account with most of the key points covered.
A bit of artistic licence has been used here and there but overall I thought it was great.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 02:02:11 AM »
Did the Turkish SCA furnish the troops?!  ;)
You're not kidding...

Having watched the trailer, I see crap and not just the cheesy Eurotrash gigolo accents and contemporary haircuts. lol

For an event that occurred in the mid 1400s, some of the Romans are in gear from the late 1300s - look at those shields! The women look to be wearing hand-me-downs from the Tudors.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 12:45:54 PM »
You're not kidding...

Having watched the trailer, I see crap and not just the cheesy Eurotrash gigolo accents and contemporary haircuts. lol

For an event that occurred in the mid 1400s, some of the Romans are in gear from the late 1300s - look at those shields! The women look to be wearing hand-me-downs from the Tudors.
best not watch it then

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 04:22:26 PM »
I turned on episode 1 and after a couple of frames a lead character pushed his sword through an extra's breastplate straight through his torso and out of the back of his armour plate, then I turned it off.

Might seem a bit picky, but it really peeves when series like Vikings, GoT, etc seem to think that helmets, armour, and shields were completely irrelevant in medieval warfare.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
I love the subject matter so wanted to enjoy it but struggled a bit with the over the top combat scenes. I agree with Admiral Alder in that I find fight scenes ignoring armor exceedingly frustrating. One hero cutting through swathes of minions alone is tiresome as well.

But since some folks say the show is enjoyable maybe I will pick up where I left off.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/