Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:41:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fistful of Lead - Fantasy playtest  (Read 4379 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Fistful of Lead - Fantasy playtest
« on: February 05, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »
Oshiro Model Terrain, distributor of the Fistful of Lead games, and I got a few games of the Fantasy version of the game tested recently. All terrain and miniatures were provided by Oshiro Model Terrain (in fact the whole board and the buildings were built by him too!).

The first game saw a patrol from a nearby Imperial town come to investigate the fact that a local village had not been heard from in days. They were soon to find that they were not the only ones investigating the silent village as a band of orc raiders under the leadership of Shytbrik the Lucky had already appeared. The scenario was a straightforward hold the field game.

Shytbrik and his men (orcs) had been searching the tower when they heard the clink of armour as the Imperial troops approached. Shytbrik was a cunning orc and didn't want to give himself away too early, at least not until he had a chance to introduce them to his friend Brillo the Bogtroll.

The orcs pass through the village sending their troll up front. Shytbrik and his lieutenant Lazyeye head up to the rockface whilst Pishtosh and his orc archers follow Brillo.

The Imperial troops approach the village. They have a cadre of hard fighting soldiers supported by a group of musketmen.

The troll knocks on a door to see if anyone is home.

The Imperial troops approach cautiously, sending their musketmen down the right flank.

The two forces meet in the middle of the village. Two of the biggest soldiers take on the troll and manage to knock him down, but he won't stay down for long. On the hillside the Imperial captain and Shytbrik take each other on, with the orc proving too strong for the soldier (and too lucky!).

The humans don't last long after this and start to get taken down by the orcs.

The Imperial musketmen run into the village from their position by the river and despite them being the poorest  fighters of the patrol (D8 henchmen) they start inflicting damage on the orc patrol, wounding the troll and several of the other orcs.

The orcs recover, thanks to a very lucky hand of cards. They rush the musketeers, killing the closest and chasing the other two off.

The village is left in the hands of the orcs to loot as they see fit!

The rules were great fun and the fantasy specifics (of which I'm not giving anything away!) worked really well. Spellcasters were used in the next battle which featured Skaven vs the Undead.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:28:37 PM by Elk101 »

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Re: Fistful of Lead - Fantasy playtest
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 11:04:23 PM »
Excellent. Thanks for the report and input on the rules. Terrain and minis great as usual.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:17:52 PM »
Great report. Can't wait to see what the spellcasters do

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 01:11:57 AM »
I'd play any old rules you want on a table like that with minis like those!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 03:56:37 AM »
A beautiful table.   Skaven in the next battle?  Looking forward to seeing that.   Any support for the crazy war machines?
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 06:41:25 AM »
Artillery and war machines have been talked about but given the scale of FfoL could potentially dominate. We'll see, is the best thing to say for now!

What I found with this was that in order to benefit from the orc abilities you had to play aggressively. I also really liked the troll.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 08:42:04 AM »
Great stuff, looking froward to these rules and bringing out my LotR collection again. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 10:53:03 AM »
You could always use powerful items, like Artillery & War machines, as targets/mission objectives.
As in the John Wayne Alamo film, when they sally out to sabotage the Mexican guns.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 11:42:22 AM »
Great stuff, looking froward to these rules and bringing out my LotR collection again. :)

I concur, though I need to paint my LOTR collection  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 03:39:21 PM »
Artillery comes more in on the Big Battle level.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »
I'd play any old rules you want on a table like that with minis like those!

+1 !!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »
Really interesting...you do have my attention, sir! I’m looking for some time for a good set that transports the pulpy tongue in cheek fantasy of the Old World.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 07:37:16 PM »
Great AAR, very useful! The terrain is wonderful.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 07:44:10 PM »
Thanks guys. The fantasy rules are in a very early test phase at the moment but I thoroughly enjoyed the games. The FfoL style very much suited a classic Oldhammer type game. The figures often take on their own characters during play. The troll, for example kept getting knocked down and back up again and finished the game having taken out two of the most powerful Imperials. I'm liking the play decisions that the different species offer, whether playing them or against them.

Offline scatterbrains

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 02:04:28 AM »
Thanks guys. The fantasy rules are in a very early test phase at the moment but I thoroughly enjoyed the games. The FfoL style very much suited a classic Oldhammer type game. The figures often take on their own characters during play. The troll, for example kept getting knocked down and back up again and finished the game having taken out two of the most powerful Imperials. I'm liking the play decisions that the different species offer, whether playing them or against them.

Sounds like fun! Wouldn't want a boring troll!