Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686595
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord: Advance Guard  (Read 2594 times)

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
Warlord: Advance Guard
« on: February 07, 2020, 12:38:07 AM »
Greetings All,

I post this in the hope that someone who owns a copy of these rules can answer a few questions for me about some of the mechanics of the game. I'm not very interested in hearing why people do or don't like them, just answers to the following questions:

How many bases are there in a typical heavy infantry unit?

What are the "integrated command and control" rules like?

Are there any special rules for Roman legions… pila, interpenetration, etc.?

Many thanks,
Scott
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Warlord: Advance Guard
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 05:07:17 PM »
Which rules?
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 08:19:58 PM »
Are we talking Hail Caesar? SPQR? From Warlord Games?  Or maybe you mean the boardgames Warlord Advanced Guard as seen here?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/277114/warlord-advanced-guard

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
Wiegraf is correct. As indicated in the thread titler, my query is about the Ancients miniatures rules Warlord: Advance Guard, designed by Trevor Halsall and Richard Harper, and published in 2018 by Partizan Press. According to the advertising blurb, it is an "updated and lighter version of the original, highly successful, Warlord rulebook."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:53:24 PM by A Lot of Gaul »

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 07:36:29 PM »
Were the Warlord rules successful? I think I saw them at two games shows both hosted by their author, never saw or read about them anywhere else?

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 03:40:02 AM »
I suspect the crickets will still be out there with this re-query, but the advert for the rules sounded interesting.  I was wondering whether anyone knows anything about the quality of the rules themselves as well as any backstory as to why they "failed to launch."

The second question is important to me independent of this particular rule set.  I'm in a discussion with a publisher about what sort of things either the publisher or the game author need to address in order to maximize their possibility of success, especially in a crowded market and limited "play money" in the gamer's budget which drives how much they will spend on what.  They will be launching a new set in the near future, but I'm concerned about their approach thus far in preps and marketing plans.

I've seen a lot of rules come (and go), launch and fizzle, launch and seem to gain traction but quickly fade, launch, succeed, but quickly find themselves up against other new and solid competitors.  So I have a number of comments, questions and suggestions to pass along to them, but trying to see if I've missed any.

Thanks.