Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:03:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Footsore Baron's War Range Released!  (Read 17908 times)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Re: Footsore Baron's War Range Released!
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2020, 08:48:34 PM »
@Atheling, it helps, I think. :-)

Thus I have a wealthly lord that is in service of Baron "X". This wealthy lord has let say 4 household knights. The lord his heraldry is dark red with a white horizontal line. How would his 4 household knights look like, how would his sergeants look like and finally how would his spearmen, archers and etc look like. Timeframe "early 13th century". :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2020, 10:21:22 PM »
If you haven't got a specific reference for the colour of a livery then I'd go with the main colours of the nobles heraldry. This is probably not at all accurate as liveries were not necessarily related to a coat of arms, but, it is good enough given the lack of evidence.

Offline David Cowper

• Assistant
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2020, 10:21:37 AM »
Would this range be also useable for the Second Barons War? Would any developments in armour or weaponry by the time of the second war only really apply to knights?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2020, 10:58:58 AM »
Would this range be also useable for the Second Barons War? Would any developments in armour or weaponry by the time of the second war only really apply to knights?

To be honest the beginnings of the 11th Century is where armour technology started upping it's game, so's to speak.

The most obvious features of a "knight" between the First and Second Baron's War would be the replacement of the Enclosed helmet with the Great Helm that was common by 1240.

Less obvious would be better coats of plates normally but not exclusively covered by the surcoat.

That's just two off the top of my head.

As for the lesser gentry and the plebs? They too would see a growth in their defences but at a lesser rate and probably piecemeal as armour was horrendously expensive. Having said that, a gambeson and some mail was probably universal among most retinues.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 03:24:08 PM by Atheling »

Offline David Cowper

• Assistant
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2020, 12:24:53 PM »
Thank you Atheling.