Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:19:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Footsore Baron's War Range Released!  (Read 17943 times)

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• Bookworm
Re: Footsore Baron's War Range Released!
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2020, 09:53:22 AM »
I have also asked Mr Hobday if templars and Saracens were possibilities, he said absolutely.  :-*

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2020, 10:37:23 AM »
Going back on a previous question I asked on this thread, how does the armour differ on the barons war minis to what would have been used during the 3rd crusade?

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2020, 10:53:25 AM »
Going back on a previous question I asked on this thread, how does the armour differ on the barons war minis to what would have been used during the 3rd crusade?

The overwhelming majority are perfect. The main question mark is over the arrival of the Great Helm. We have some evidence of partially enclosed helms around the time of the Third Crusade, but no indications of the Great Helm. So the one on the right here is fine, but the one on the left questionable for the Third Crusade: https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/barons-war-range/products/mounted-knights-3

There is also some dispute about kettle helms, such as worn by the two left-hand figures here,
https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/barons-war-range/products/spearmen-2

That said, the data is limited for this period and an absence of evidence is not evidence of an absence. There is evidence for  Great Helms in the early 1200s :D

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2020, 11:05:07 AM »
I have also asked Mr Hobday if templars and Saracens were possibilities, he said absolutely.  :-*

The existing knights miniatures are arguably fine for Templer brother-knights (and the forthcoming sergeants for brother-serjeants). Twelfth-century frescoes in the Templars' church at Cressac-sur-Charente in France, for example, show warriors wearing white surcoats rather than habits (tunics with scapular and cowl) for battle.

Different miniatures might be needed for Hospitallers though, as they may have retained the habit for use on campaign into the thirteenth century.

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2020, 11:24:54 AM »
Cheers Janner much appreciated, it's been a period I've been wanting to get into for a while

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »

This is good to hear.

Steve

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2020, 12:56:55 PM »
The existing knights miniatures are arguably fine for Templer brother-knights (and the forthcoming sergeants for brother-serjeants). Twelfth-century frescoes in the Templars' church at Cressac-sur-Charente in France, for example, show warriors wearing white surcoats rather than habits (tunics with scapular and cowl) for battle.

Different miniatures might be needed for Hospitallers though, as they may have retained the habit for use on campaign into the thirteenth century.

The frescoes show the shields with a red cross on a white background. So for late 12th century / early 13th century templar knights there is no evidence of the black / white shield (with the black above the white)?

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »
The frescoes show the shields with a red cross on a white background. So for late 12th century / early 13th century templar knights there is no evidence of the black / white shield (with the black above the white)?

The Primitive Rule of the Templars states that shields should be uncovered and 'painted' shields was one of St. Bernard's criticisms of secular knights in 'In Praise of the New Knighthood'. The frescoes, however, indicate that was relaxed at some point prior to the Third Crusade.

As far as I know, images of piebald shields all date from the Thirteenth century. Indeed, the Baucent banner was first described by Jacques of Vitry in the 1220s. However, the decision at the cross-taking ceremony near Gisors in Jan 1188 to allocate different coloured crosses to the crusaders of the kings of France and England, and the Count of Flanders may have influenced a change to piebald shields.

The new master of the Templars, Robert IV of Sablé, was a confidant of Richard the Lionheart and the red cross had been allocated to the Capetians. The white cross of the Hospitallers was given to the Angevin contingent, but Master Garnier of Nablus had previously been prior of England and was also close to the new king of England. For this reason I gave my Third Crusade-era Templars piebald shields.

Hope that helps  :)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2020, 05:43:33 PM »
@Janner

Yes, very informative! I also explored you blog and bookmarked it. Your mini's + text about Richard, his retinue and the third crusade will be very helpful when I start painting a third crusade force!

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2020, 08:50:04 AM »
@Janner

Yes, very informative! I also explored you blog and bookmarked it. Your mini's + text about Richard, his retinue and the third crusade will be very helpful when I start painting a third crusade force!

I’d best do an update as I’ve learnt so much since then - thanks for the prod :)

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2020, 06:29:26 PM »
Second KS has started and has already reached the initial funding goal which is good to see.

Steve

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2020, 07:35:55 AM »
Second KS has started and has already reached the initial funding goal which is good to see.

Steve

As a Medieval obsessive with delusions of being an aficionado I am so pleased to see this oft neglected period of Late Medieval Warfare gain so much interest. It's fab  8)

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2020, 09:23:58 AM »
Not a period I knew a great deal about. Discovering this range has prompted me to start reading a bit more about it and it is fascinating.

Steve

Offline Charley Bourne

• Bookworm
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2020, 09:02:25 AM »
Hi folks,

Bit of a random one…

Despite having no particular interest in collecting or gaming this era, I love what Paul Hicks has done with these minis and so I picked up a few to shoehorn into the 1930’s (who wouldn’t dress up in knights armour to get on a motorbike and sidecar and attack a tank?!!!)

Getting to the point - I’ve signed up for the latest Kickstarter. There’s actually only a handful of minis I actually want (need!!!) but to get them I need to buy a few packs which means I’ll have quite a lot left over that I’ll have no need of.

My plan is to sell them on after. Based on your interest in this period what do you think would be the most popular packs that people would be interested in?

I’ll order these specifically rather than guessing what I think will be easiest to sell on when I make up the cost of my order.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Thank you.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »
Surely you don't need to buy any more packs than you want? As you can pledge a £1.00 and then go in and change your pledge to the actual amount of the packs you want to buy.