Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:29:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Supplementary question Bavarian Cuirassiers  (Read 1618 times)

Offline nickthegreek

• Bookworm
Supplementary question Bavarian Cuirassiers
« on: February 13, 2020, 08:47:28 AM »
As a supplementary question to my Ebor Horse Grenadiers.
I’m likely to invest in some Ebor German Cuirassiers to be used as Bavarians.
Reading through the resources, each cuirassier regiment looked to have three squadrons each. So building each regiment as 3x 6 figures per squadron, my question comes down how many guidons should I field without having 3 command figures per squadron? I see that each regiment had a colonel colour plus additional colours.
Would it make sense for the 1st squadron to have 2 guidons and the other squadron none?
Or one guidon per squadron but only the trumpeter and Officer in the 1st squadron.
I know first world problems.......

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Re: Supplementary question Bavarian Cuirassiers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 01:46:00 PM »
Yeah, it's a 'problem' also encountered in other armies.  My first question would be: Do your rules have the whole regiment acting as a single tactical unit?  Or are they running around as individual squadrons?  If they're all acting as one unit I'd just have one or two guidons in the 1st squadron.  If they're tactically independent I'd have one guidon per squadron.

My Prussian SYW army only has one guidon per regiment of 16 figures - partly because more than one looks a little excessive but mainly because Old Glory only gave you two guidon-bearers in a pack of 31 figures (the 31st figure was a Garde du Korps eagle-bearer)…  :( 

When I did a load of 1806 Napoleonic Prussians in 'The Grand Manner' at 1:20 ratio I did each regiment with two guidons.

Is it possible to squeeze an extra figure on the base to add extra guidons?  In game terms it won't count as an extra figure, but will look good... I've done this with Napoleonic and ACW infantry where they had more than one colour per regiment.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 11:05:31 AM »
Nick - If this is the WSS period, then Bavarian cuirassier regiments had SIX squadrons each, with over 900 all ranks per regiment.  However, they were sometimes split up into more manageable "wings" in order to equalise battle lines.  Here is some more detailed information on the three, later four, regiments including colours (I would suggest you bookmark this site, as it is very useful for all aspects of the Bavarian Army)-

http://wssbavarians.blogspot.com/2018/08/cavalry-of-bavarian-army-at-start-of.html
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline nickthegreek

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 07:15:37 PM »
Thank you all for your informative responses.
I’ve gone for an initial 72 figures from Ebor to get me started.
3 x 18 Cuirassiers (I can always increase later)
3x 6 Garde squadrons.

That will probably take me a few months to complete (along with every other project).

Offline 1ngram

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 11:08:25 AM »
What about the Bavarian Army later in the 18thCentury, in the WAS etc.  Where can I find information on them, regiments, uniforms, flags etc.?

And who makes figures for them in 28mm?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 12:48:27 PM by 1ngram »

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 11:04:07 AM »
What about the Bavarian Army later in the 18thCentury, in the WAS etc.  Where can I find information on them, regiments, uniforms, flags etc.?

And who makes figures for them in 28mm?

There is a small amount of information on Kronosaf: http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Bavarian_Army

They appear to mainly have followed Austrian fashions in uniform cut so I would not hesitate to use Austrian figures but painted in the blue of Bavaria.