Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:50:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: guns for german colonial artillery  (Read 9127 times)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
guns for german colonial artillery
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:51:32 PM »
Tiger miniatures is releasing german schutztruppen artillery crew in slouch hats.

I need to make some  artillery pieces:

.- Now what is your recommendation for a howitzer

thanks for your advise!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:03:59 AM by argsilverson »
argsilverson

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: guns for german colonial artillery
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:03:10 AM »
Hi mate,

Sorry to answer your question with a question...  :D  ... but how do you rate the Tiger Miniatures up alongside the Brigade ones?  I'm looking at buying some of the Tiger stuff as well to fill out my German Colonial army.

Oh... and I was just going to be getting their mountain guns and maybe the Camel Corps...  ::)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:13:56 AM »
1.- mountain gun: it is a small gun. I find it qute.
2.- generally speaking their miniatures are good. I must say that newer figures are better than older ones. (Yes I know that there are some among us that they do not like them)
I have lots of brigade games german colonials mostly infantry and I am happy to mix them with some Tiger miniatures. I have muleteers, askari mountain guns, cavalry and camelry. I believe that the best is their camels and riders.

Besides them I have about 200 greeks for balkan wars and I am now planning to add some more german colonials and greeks (when I get money)

on their plus is that their figures have lot of character!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:22:11 AM »
Thanks!

I just looked over at the Brigade Forums where there is a discussion of German artillery in Africa and it appears that at the start of the War they had 11 Krupp C73 90mm guns.  It was recommended that the Perry Krupp piece from the Sudan War range could fill in quite nicely.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 12:38:07 AM »
Thanks!

I just looked over at the Brigade Forums where there is a discussion of German artillery in Africa and it appears that at the start of the War they had 11 Krupp C73 90mm guns.  It was recommended that the Perry Krupp piece from the Sudan War range could fill in quite nicely.

I'd go with this piece an if you are planning on German South West Africa then you can use the Krupp  77cm 96n/A. This model you can find any where, but I recommend the Battle Honours model.

I've a few spare if you need one for German West Africa. I'll send it to you.

Helen
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:55:26 PM by Helen Bachaus »
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:45:58 AM »
Thanks Helen,
it is supposed to be East Africa with a touch of Pulp (Fiction- you know they survived WW1 and ended as an independent state)

I do not know BH models never seen one!

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 05:00:50 PM »
I just received 3 packs of the Tiger Schutztruppe Cameleers yesterday; they're the first Tiger minis I've ever seen in person.

Unfortunately in my opinion they aren't nearly as good as the Brigade Games figs. Anatomy and proportions are quite poor with grossly long torsos, short stubby arms, and long giraffe-like necks. Detail is fuzzy and the poses are stiff and show no relationship between the rider and his mount (for instance, the figs should at least look like they are holding the reins.) 

The figures don't fit on the camels at all even with bending the legs, and I will have to use putty to hide the air between them and the camel seat.  They might be passable with a good paint job, but I will only use them for things that I suspect Brigade will never produce (like Cameleers.)  Even so, I will probably do some head swaps from the brigade figs or maybe even completely swap out for Brigade riders.  The camels actually aren't too bad themselves.

It's really too bad as Tiger does some German Colonial subjects that I would really love to have done well in my collection. If you have to choose between Tiger and Brigade for basic troops, going with Brigade is a no-brainer.

Steve

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
@axabrax

That is the impression I get looking at the teeny-weenie photo of the German Camel Corps.

Unfortunately, Brigade has left a rather gaping hole by not providing artillery and mounted troops.

Tiger's Askari and German Mountain guns look nice though (as does the German artillery crew), but perhaps I will get the mule mounted troops versus the camel mounted ones.  They seem to be a bit better proportioned.

In no hurry though as I have lots of Brigade figures to do first, so probably won't make a decision until September.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »
A slightly better pic of the camel guys, if it's any help...

I'm afraid I'm not too keen on Tiger Miniatures either. The mounted camel troops are actually among the better ones, and I don't mind them. But I bought some foot troops to use as dismounted versions, and that one chap in my LPL entry above is the only one I finished. The rest are gathering dust on my painting table. They are so horrible I can't bear to do anything more on them.   :(
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »
Wow Plynkes--you've really worked wonders with those figs!  Really shows what a good paint job and some conversion work can accomplish.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 09:05:17 AM »
They appear to have "monkey-arm" syndrome. The mounted ones are less noticeable, but even a great paintjob like this one wouldn't persuade me to buy any.

It's a ahame that HLBS stopped doing their colonial Germans. They are fairly incompatible with Copplestone etc (for purists, at least) but were very nice figures with decent anatomy.

I have a few packs kicking around, but not enough to make up more than one or two GASLIGHT etc 10-man units  :(

Offline Chris Dale

• Assistant
    • German Colonial Uniforms
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:23:50 PM »
it appears that at the start of the War they had 11 Krupp C73 90mm guns.

There's a more full listing of German artillery in the colonies over on the Axis History Forum- http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=107333

Cheers
Chris
German Colonial Uniforms website- www.germancolonialuniforms.co.uk

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 10:41:26 PM »
Askari has a nice Krupp gun available separately.

It's a ahame that HLBS stopped doing their colonial Germans. They are fairly incompatible with Copplestone etc (for purists, at least) but were very nice figures with decent anatomy.
I have a few packs kicking around, but not enough to make up more than one or two GASLIGHT etc 10-man units  :(

I have some as well. About 10 mounted & 10 dismounted I think, possibly 20 of each (it's been so long I just can't remember), that I bought shortly after they were released.  I don't need them if you want to reinforce yours, or perhaps someone else would be interested in both lots.

I'm just sayin'...

Edit:

OK, according to an inventory I just found, it's:

20 German Colonial Schutztruppe in peaked cap
10 German Colonial Mounted Infantry in slouch hat

If there's any interest, I'll list them in the Bazaar of Obscurities.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:47:43 AM by Tommy20 »
-Tommy

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 02:17:09 AM »
How much for the mounted?

Offline brigadegames

• Scientist
    • BrigadeGames.com
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 02:29:29 AM »
How about posting in my forum what you want to see. I am looking to add a bunch of packs to the range but would like to see what interest there would be and for what figures.
Lon Weiss
BrigadeGames
Boot Hill

http://www.BrigadeGames.com

http://www.BrigadeGamesMinis.com

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/brigadegames

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrigadeGames

IG: https://www.instagram.com/BrigadeGames<br /