Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:04:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: All at Sea - New French Builds  (Read 1136 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
All at Sea - New French Builds
« on: February 29, 2020, 07:25:23 AM »
Progress on developing my collection of 1:700th French vessels continues with additions from the French fleet box from Warlord.

The additional personalised stern galleries and figureheads designed for the generic plastic hulls of the third and fifth rates really allows these models to look very individual.

If you would like to know more then just follow the link to JJ's

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2020/02/all-at-sea-on-stocks-in-jjs-dockyard_28.html

JJ
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: All at Sea - New French Builds
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 07:53:45 AM »
Very nice.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 07:58:43 AM »
They look amazing. Superb paint jobs  :-*

I am no expert but when I did Napoleonic naval wargaming in the past, I was told the sails would never be at 90 degrees to the hull as the wind to the front sails would be blocked by the rear sails. They would be angled (all in parallel) to the right or the left. This actually looks better as well?

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 08:07:44 AM »
Hi chaps,

Thank you, glad you like them.

Yes, the 90 degree rule is not an exact science as there would be times when yards would square up but ships crews would look to avoid it. That said, models are a compromise in that the masts and yards are modelled that way for obvious reasons and twiddling them on the hull simply leaves the fighting tops at angles so, rather than cut the yards off and angle them accordingly, you let the eye do some imagining.