Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:52:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Russian Alaska  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Raza Decon

• Bookworm
Russian Alaska
« on: February 18, 2020, 12:50:02 AM »
Hello,

I am looking at doing a Russian Alaska project. I have information on the Aleutian "Allies", Orthodox Priests, and what Russian sailors may have looked like in the late 1700s to the mid to late 1800s. I know in the conflicts with the Native Alaskans, the British, Americans and other possible opponents would have lead to other possible Russian groups to assist the "military" fight rivals and defend colonies.

My question is what would have those forces looked like and what would they have been armed with. In some of the art I have found suggests that out side of the Russian military, the common folk still wore tunics and similar dress which way behind the style  the British, French and American average person would have worn at the time. Even though the Russian Military at the time was modernizing would the average person or colonist have access to muskets or pistols. I am sure that the colonist would have had access to Long Knives, Pioneer Swords and Axes. Would they have access to Sabers and similar Siberian weapons? I know that French, British, American and Canadian Forces got assistance from trappers and similar groups, would the Russians have had a similarly attired group that would fit in to the colony's forces?

Does anyone have any pictures that they can share that help me with the appearance of the Russian Alaskan forces and what they may have been armed with?

Thanks,

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Russian Alaska
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 01:30:33 AM »
Don't have any pictures but you might try checking out Fort Ross, a California State Park that used to be a Russian trading fort that was purchased by John Augustus Sutter of Sutter's Fort fame.  However, neither fort was involved in any military action that I'm aware of.  I'm assuming you are going for hypothetical encounters, perhaps?  Don't recall any actual action with the Russians of Alaska versus anybody - though maybe with the indigenous people?

Sutter did acquire the cannons that were at Ross.  Curious to know more about your project.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 02:29:29 AM »
I'm sorry I don't have any images of early Russian civilians in Alaska. You mention British, French, Americans and Canadians as possible opponents for the Russians in Alaska. Did you know that when the Spanish government heard that the Russians were moving south along the west coast of North America, they rushed a garrison north to Nootka Island in 1789 to block any further Russian advance? In fact there was never any conflict between Spain and Russia in North America, the colonist populations of both Russian America and Spanish California were miniscule, mostly missionaries and a few soldiers, and there were no resources for further expansion. But might have been...I have some material on the Spanish Nootka garrison if that is of any interest.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 03:12:44 AM »
There was a whole war between the Russian settlers and the Tlingit Indians, the apotheosis of which was the battle on the Sitka River. Now there is a memorable totem pole in honor of the warriors who died in this battle.
Actually, there were not many Russians in this war - about a hundred people, another 900 Indian warriorss from various tribes fought on the Russian side.
I do not know where the information on this war is in English, but in Russian there is something on my forum.

http://siberia-miniatures.ru/forum/showthread.php?tid=350&fid=10&block=0

There were no Russian troops in Alaska, nor a navy. There were settlers and ships equipped with Russian industrialists. I think that they had traditional Russian clothes. For the image of Russian settlers figures of Russian partisans for 1812 are perfect.

But the Tlingits had a very peculiar appearance ... I think you will not find such figures. However, I saw somewhere their figures in armor, but in 15 mm.

Offline Raza Decon

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 04:25:31 AM »
Paymaster Games have a huge line of Pacific Northwest Tribes models. Most are based on Tlingit and Haida tribes. All of their models are 28mm. Here is a link to the PNW models - https://www.paymastergames.com/pacific-northwest-tribes

I wanted to build a force that could challenge my PNW army. So I was thinking about the Russian Alaska Colony forces.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 04:59:59 AM »
For the Russian colonists, figures from Perry are quite suitable, but some conversion is needed - I think they had plenty of firearms.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 02:27:30 AM »
Somebody did a couple of Tlingit warriors I think. ... they had a few native Americans from various regions, a lot from Central America, some mythological creatures but I cannot recall the name. :?

Edit: This who I am thinking of:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2139148164/going-native-from-out-of-the-mists

Not sure if the few Pacific Northwest mnis would be appropriate for Tlingit fighting the Russians (IIRC, some wore wood armour).

Offline Raza Decon

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 02:55:56 AM »
Somebody did a couple of Tlingit warriors I think. ... they had a few native Americans from various regions, a lot from Central America, some mythological creatures but I cannot recall the name. :?

Edit: This who I am thinking of:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2139148164/going-native-from-out-of-the-mists

Not sure if the few Pacific Northwest mnis would be appropriate for Tlingit fighting the Russians (IIRC, some wore wood armour).

Paymaster Games ran that campaign. They have common troopers, armored veterans, and heavily armored Totem Men. Their is also a huge selection of Heroes and Shaman models.