Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:29:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689606
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Burgundian Wars by Seehase & Ollesch...  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
The Burgundian Wars by Seehase & Ollesch...
« on: February 19, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »
Anyone have Hagen Seehase and Detlef Ollesch's The Burgundian Wars? Based on the few pages previewed, the English translation of German 2017 title looks okay, but what of the content? I like the photos of re-enactors, but are there any drawings?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: The Burgundian Wars by Seehase & Ollesch...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 07:35:41 PM »
Anyone have Hagen Seehase and Detlef Ollesch's The Burgundian Wars? Based on the few pages previewed, the English translation of German 2017 title looks okay, but what of the content? I like the photos of re-enactors, but are there any drawings?

Hi mate,

Most of thye books are available as downloads on their site- just scroll down the page and there you have it, if not all, then most of the book.

Just save as a Jpeg or whatever you prefer :) (for academic research of course :) )

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 01:11:14 AM »
Hi mate,

Most of thye books are available as downloads on their site- just scroll down the page and there you have it, if not all, then most of the book.

Just save as a Jpeg or whatever you prefer :) (for academic research of course :) )
Are you referring to the publisher's website or some other place? :? I notice they have the English version of  Hussite Warfare!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:21:31 AM »
Are you referring to the publisher's website or some other place? :? I notice they have the English version of  Hussite Warfare!

If you go here:

https://zeughausverlag.de/category/heere-waffen/

Look to the right of the page and there's a list of books- pick the one you want- scroll down and there are pages (samples?) you can save to jpeg.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 12:13:43 PM »
I've got the English version and read it over the summer.
It depends on what you are after and what your existing knowledge of the wars is.

If you want a sound introduction and information on the campaign and battles, then its fine. However, it really didn't give me any more information than I had from reading Vaughan's Charles the Bold. Also some of the translation is poor in places, which a decent copy-reader should have picked up.
Nothing new in terms of illustrations and I'd also seen most of the re-enactment pics before too.

Was hoping for more...
Hope that helps, Simon.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 01:03:42 PM »
I've got the English version and read it over the summer.
It depends on what you are after and what your existing knowledge of the wars is.

If you want a sound introduction and information on the campaign and battles, then its fine. However, it really didn't give me any more information than I had from reading Vaughan's Charles the Bold. Also some of the translation is poor in places, which a decent copy-reader should have picked up.
Nothing new in terms of illustrations and I'd also seen most of the re-enactment pics before too.

Was hoping for more...
Hope that helps, Simon.

I didn't even bother reading it! Basically I just oggles the pics. on their site.

I didn't realise that there was an English version of the book Simon. But as you say, nothing that a bit of research can outdo.

Condotierre, have you got The Burgundian Army of Charles the Bold BY Armand Pacou, Pat McGill  & Rod Erskine Riddell?

It's packed with heraldic information and has a decent history of Charles the Bold Ordinances and his run in with the Swiss.

I expect you already have a copy but if not it's available from the Lance and Longbow Society here:
https://lanceandlongbow.com/shop.php