Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warcaster: Neo-Mechanika or Warmachine in space!  (Read 6927 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Warcaster: Neo-Mechanika or Warmachine in space!
« on: February 20, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »
Just spotted this little tidbit, it seems like privateer press is doing a new game which for all intents and purposes is warmachine in space.

https://home.privateerpress.com/warcaster/

I'll be honest most of the models look somewhat generic to me, far less character than the warmachine factions (even when they just started out) but I do like me a good mecha miniature, and it would seem like this will be a good source of large resin robots going forwards.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
Re: Warcaster: Neo-Mechanika or Warmachine in space!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 12:25:14 PM »
Personally, I like that they're a bit more generic - makes them much more useful for other games ;D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 03:45:11 PM »
Personally, I like that they're a bit more generic - makes them much more useful for other games ;D

Yeah I'm surprised! PP tend to go for the heavy character flavor and style in their designs, but this infantry looks as generic as you can get.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 04:01:52 PM »
Still; Warjacks-in-Space are Mecha, so: cool!  :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 05:58:24 PM »
Cool. Lots of potential cross-uses there. So I'll get some figs for sure, but like WarmHordes, I'll most likely never play their game.

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 07:24:02 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty excited by the news but underwhelmed by their initial offering.  Still, I've been using the existing Warmachine range in SF settings often enough that I reckon they'll give us the good stuff soon enough.

I suppose I'm a little disappointed that it does look like Warmachine in space.  I had hoped they might do a bit more with their Level 7 property, which I think is a bit more of a departure from WMH.  Still, hopeful for the future!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 11:27:39 PM »
There are supposed to be four three factions at the start so we may yet see one That has a central design theme that links them together better than these preview models do.

I do not know if I would necessarily play the game but the models look nice and could fit into any other game easily enough.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 03:37:01 PM by pixelgeek »

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »
I was under the impression that the Warmachine Meta- no longer had much space for WarJacks anymore.

When I heard that i was like....  o_o o_o o_o o_o .....

I look forward to taking a closer look at this range. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 03:42:53 PM »
They could have done better than “space-magic” for the background.
It could have been Warmahordes In Space without being literally “Warmahordes... In Space!”

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 04:42:12 PM »
They could have done better than “space-magic” for the background.
It could have been Warmahordes In Space without being literally “Warmahordes... In Space!”

It feels non-comital atm? It is warmahordes in space, but I'm not seeing any of the iconic species or designs from the setting. Moving Khador into a cold war USSR space program style could be interesting for example. As it stands I literally can't tell the 2 factions in the picture apart.

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 06:02:10 PM »
Yeah, I was rather disappointed with the fluff concept.

But I'm even more disappointed that they're going to Kickstarter for the launch.  Not that I don't understand their reasons.  Mantic does it all the time.  Corvus Belli has just done it.  For the "not small, but not yet medium-sized" wargames enterprise it's the go-to pre-sales platform.  But it does rather mean that little operators like yours truly are chased out of the ability to launch interesting new games when the standards are being set by enterprises with the pockets that can do all the art and design work up front.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 06:17:13 PM »
Yeah, I was rather disappointed with the fluff concept.

But I'm even more disappointed that they're going to Kickstarter for the launch.  Not that I don't understand their reasons.  Mantic does it all the time.  Corvus Belli has just done it.  For the "not small, but not yet medium-sized" wargames enterprise it's the go-to pre-sales platform.  But it does rather mean that little operators like yours truly are chased out of the ability to launch interesting new games when the standards are being set by enterprises with the pockets that can do all the art and design work up front.

Yup, it's understandable but big fish jumping in a pool where once the smaller ones were feeding for once, to stretch the metaphor a bit.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 07:42:04 PM »
It is warmahordes in space

If you watch the videos they have posted they are going out of their way to say that this is not the case. The game is different, there are no equivalent factions in the game and while they have pinched certain terms in the game to make a callback to Warmachine there isn't really a lot similar between the two games.

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 07:58:46 PM »
One thing I *do* like is the "warcaster" concept.  That is, that the warcaster is in an orbital ship, operating and leading the ground forces remotely, thus embedding the player into the game's setting without the "whoops, I died" weakness at the heart of WMH.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 10:11:48 AM »
The yellow ones looks like GW Tau. 40k meets Infinity in the design. Not grabbed by it.