Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:46:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Bright Cove Creek (ACW)  (Read 2964 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Battle of Bright Cove Creek (ACW)
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 03:33:33 PM »
I'm less taken with the lottery idea having tried a number of games using similar systems (applied, not written in) and it makes for some very quirky games - though I understand and appreciate the goal and the concept.  Perhaps within a tight knit group it can work but, generally, most people want a game where all players feel they have an equal shot at victory (even if that means fighting a last stand where victory is doing better than the historical outcome).  History is the inspiration but a fun game is the goal and for most a reasonable chance at victory is a key ingredient.  At least, that is my take.

An aside regarding Rank and File, I had a bit of an epiphany this morning about those rules - they actually work so well because they create a system where the goal is to defeat the opponents will to fight.  That is how most historical battles are won, not through battles of annihilation - though the latter can work, especially going further back in history.  Also, RF has a great movement option that allows quickly maneuvering into contact which prevents those sad slogs where everyone maneuvers into first contact - and then it is time to pack up and head home.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 05:45:17 PM »
15sAway - agree with you on Rank and File - such a solid, traditional set of battle wargame rules (that probably should get played more).

I downloaded and printed out the basic rules like over ten years ago, and the ACW supplement also, with all its historical Generals ratings.....I guess sometimes we need that shiny object "flash" for motivation, but do realize some things newer aren't always done better (when the flash has worn off).

Today, the scene is also so much more into "skirmish" that the scale of battle gaming has been "tossed".   

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 09:33:48 PM »
I've dabbled in skirmish gaming - and certainly understand the appeal based on fewer figures to paint - but it just doesn't whet my appetite.  It's like having an inadequate appetizer before the meal but no one serves the meal so I walk away hungry.  To each their own. 

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 01:33:12 PM »
It's healthy when they coexist, and I like both, but the industry heavyweight is on 28s (even plastics), and by default that's tapping the skirmish/tournament game formats.

Offline Old Contemptible

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »
Some complain they don't have a points system...

I can do without points. I don't use them. I mainly use historical scenarios instead. If your into tournaments and pickup games, then I can understand their use. But not for me. I would rather have a set of rules that does not have a point system. I do not like the tyranny of the point system. I am in this hobby for the history. I like gaming too. But history is the main thing for me.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 05:07:11 PM »
Waaaay back in the day, when WRG army lists were all the rage.
My friends & I used to think about publishing our own (jokey) version.
It was to cover from 'Dawn of Time' to 'End of the Universe'
It was to have had such wonderful entries as:-
Extra to make ECW  Royalist General 'Arrogant B@st@rd'              25 pts.
Extra to make Venusian Infantry 'Blue'     (All or none)                   5pts each
To give Alpha Centaurian Boorogs extra foot (Up to half)                 2pts each
Walls of Babylon (for your Crusader Knights to charge through)       10pts per 50 paces.
To give C.in C. 'Death Wish' (Only Sparta/Texican/17th Lancers)       20pts.