Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:51:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 693
Total: 699

Recent

Author Topic: Soor 1745, and a new toy  (Read 1118 times)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
Soor 1745, and a new toy
« on: February 21, 2020, 05:02:59 PM »
I've just set up a game based on Soor 1745. It's not a battle I've fought before, largely because it looks quite awkward to do, when you look at the deployment map. I've got around this by ignoring the bit where virtually nothing happened. It's also a battle which features on the Obscure Battles site, which helps a great deal when trying to find source material - invaluable.

For those with an interest win the AWS it might be interesting enough to warrant a visit to my blog - has link to the Obscure Battles material.

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2020/02/soor-point-war-of-austrian-succession.html

There is also a picture of my new toy, a present from Graham H. Thanks, Graham.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Soor 1745, and a new toy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 06:07:22 PM »
cracking!
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Joe Fish

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 05:14:00 AM »
Good article with a decent how to come up with a workable scenario from a battle from the era.

Nice new toy, as well.  Oh....beautiful photos, as always!

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 06:21:09 AM »
Really nice!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline PaulRPetri

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 07:09:23 PM »
What a terrific set up James. I am a frequent "Lurker" to your excellent blog. Your miniatures and gaming table are very inspiring. Top notch stuff!!

I can add one small bit of information to your Soor research. I had the good fortune of visiting the battlefield in 2017. I can attest to the fact that the Austrian position was on some very steep hills to say the least. I had wondered why the Austrians had not garrisoned the town in front of their position. Well as it turns out it is located in a valley which was formed by the hill the Prussian camp was located on and the Austrian position. Not very defensible. It would seem to me that the hills the Austrians had taken position on were too steep. As it provided a lot of dead ground for the Prussians to deploy close the their position without getting bombarded by artillery. This dead ground may also have played a part in the Prussian cavalry's ability to charge up a great big hill and rout the unsuspecting Austrian horse. Who may never been aware that they were there.

I am also hosting a SYW game this month for my gaming group and I plan to use Field of Battle 2nd edition the off spring of Piquet that you use. I have never played the rules before  anxious to see how they play.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 03:44:18 PM »
Very beautiful table setup and minis, thanks for sharing!
Planning to play this battle soon! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi