Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons Damage Question  (Read 4401 times)

Offline cwchmc

• Scientist
Strange Aeons Damage Question
« on: July 22, 2009, 06:00:02 PM »
I'm having some trouble getting my head around this sentence:
"If the total exceeds the Constitution of the target, you should add +1 for every point past the models
last Wound to the roll on the Injury Table."
Does that mean that a single attack can cause more than 1 wound? For example lets say I am attacking a character with Con 5 and 2 wounds and I roll 7 for damage. I think this means that the first 5 "points" of the damage roll cause a wound, the next "point" causes another wound, and the remaining point gets added to my roll on the injury table.
Do I have it right?

Chuck

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: Strange Aeons Damage Question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:50:21 PM »
Hey Chuck,

Sounds right to me. It is possible to cause multiple wounds / remove models with multiple wounds in a single action.

Offline cwchmc

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:55:10 PM »
Awesome. Thanks. I'm hoping to get in my first game this weekend.

Chuck

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 12:58:06 AM »
Good Luck, have fun and try not to die!

Offline loki

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 08:48:56 AM »
Hello,

would you mind to put up a complete combat example?
I would be a lot easier for us non native readers  ::) to understand the damage rules.

By the way field of vision 360°?

Greetings
Burkhard

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:50:41 PM »
Field of vision is indeed 360...I'll try and get an example posted but I'm a little overloaded with work at the moment...The rulebook has an example of play and I'm pretty sure there is an example on the website also...those will have to do for now...

Offline loki

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 08:16:38 AM »
I'm having some trouble getting my head around this sentence:
"If the total exceeds the Constitution of the target, you should add +1 for every point past the models
last Wound to the roll on the Injury Table."
Does that mean that a single attack can cause more than 1 wound? For example lets say I am attacking a character with Con 5 and 2 wounds and I roll 7 for damage. I think this means that the first 5 "points" of the damage roll cause a wound, the next "point" causes another wound, and the remaining point gets added to my roll on the injury table.

Hello,

I understand this example, but I was confused with this sentence ( page 19 Injuries):

"..When a model has been reduced to 0 Wounds (Do I mark them out?), the attacker determines the severity of the damage by
rolling 2D6 on the Injury Table. Add +1 to the dice roll for every point by which the damage roll exceeded the wounded models Constitution..."

I thought it was +1 for every point past the models last WOUND???

And how to wound a 6 wound model?

Must I dice for every wound on the Injury Table or only when the last wound is erased?

Anyway your rules sound great and I will test and support them with Grimm on small convention here in Germany in September.

Greetings
Burkhard

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
Hey,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you on this. It could proably have been worded a little better but basically you must meet or exceed the targets Constitution and this removes Wounds. The greater majority of models have only one Wound and so only Constitution need be worried about for them.

Example #1: Agent vs. Cultist

Agent shoots with a .45 (1 shot due to rate of this gun and needing a 5+ 'to hit' because of the models Dexterity) and hits the Cultist (by rolling a 5...) Now the Agent rolls 'to wound' the Cultist (who is in the open and gets no save of any kind).  The Damage of the weapon is 1D+2 and the Cultist has a Constitution of 5. The Agent rolls one dice and adds the +2. lets say he rolls a 4. 4+2=6 The Agent has exceeded the Cultists Constitution by 1 (Damage of 6 minus Con of 5 =1) Now that he has (1. hit and (2. wounded the target, the Agent may now (3. roll for injury. Two dice are rolled and added together and the 'left over' 1 is added and the results checked on the Injury table on page 19.

Example #2: Character vs. Maniac

Maniac charges the Character (who passes his Fear test...) and a round of close combat is fought (at the end of the Action). Both Players check the models profiles for Attacks and take that number of dice and roll them 'to hit' (Character rolls 3 dice as does the Maniac) as well as adding the Close Combat Bonus for the weapon being used (maniac has a Cleaver with a C.C.B of +2 and Character has a Bowie knife with C.C.B. +1). The dice are rolled simultaniously and the highest is chosen and C.C.B. added. The Character rolls a 3, 4 and 5 and the Maniac rolls a 2, 3 and 5.  Character has a score of 6 (roll of 5 +1C.C.B.) and the Maniac has a score of 7 (roll of 5 +2C.C.B.) The Maniac wins by 1. So the Maniac rolls 1 Dice 'to wound' and adds the damage of the weapon used (Cleaver Dam.1D+2). He rolls a 4 and adds the +2=6. This matches the Constitution of the Character and a Wound has been caused! However, no roll for injury is required as only one wound has been removed. (Character has 2 Wounds and only one was removed from this combat.) The models remain locked in Close Combat.
Lets assume that that was the Maniacs second Action, now it is the Characters Turn but before nominations a round of close combat is fought to clear up any remaining close combats. Both players roll the dice 'to hit' (see Attacks characteristic on profile: both have 3) Character rolls a 5, 3 and 6. The 6 is rolled again and another 6 is rolled: a Critical Hit! (adds +2 damage on top of the actual damage...) and the Maniac rolls a 2, 4 and a 1. The 1 goes to the Character (Critical Miss). So, Character wins! (Rolled 6 + 1C.C.B. +the Maniacs 1=8.) The Maniac looses with a 6 (rolled 4+ 2C.C.B. =6) The Character wins by 2. Two dice are rolled 'to wound', a 4 and a 5. The damage is added as well as the bonus for being a critical but only the highest dice is used (5+1Dam.+2 Crit=8) The Constitution of the Maniac is 6 so in the end he is beaten by 1. 6 ties Constitution and so removes the first Wound, 7 removes the second Wound and 8 is one point extra. Now that both Wounds have been removed 2 dice are rolled for Injury and the 1 is added to the total.  A 5 and a 6 are rolled. Added together (11) and the 1 added (11+1=12) The Maniac is dead! Hooray good guys win!!!

Hope these examples help, let me know if there is anthing else.

-Uncle Mike

Offline loki

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 07:44:23 AM »

Example #2: Character vs. Maniac

Maniac charges the Character (who passes his Fear test...) and a round of close combat is fought (at the end of the Action). Both Players check the models profiles for Attacks and take that number of dice and roll them 'to hit' (Character rolls 3 dice as does the Maniac) as well as adding the Close Combat Bonus for the weapon being used (maniac has a Cleaver with a C.C.B of +2 and Character has a Bowie knife with C.C.B. +1). The dice are rolled simultaniously and the highest is chosen and C.C.B. added. The Character rolls a 3, 4 and 5 and the Maniac rolls a 2, 3 and 5.  Character has a score of 6 (roll of 5 +1C.C.B.) and the Maniac has a score of 7 (roll of 5 +2C.C.B.) The Maniac wins by 1. So the Maniac rolls 1 Dice 'to wound' and adds the damage of the weapon used (Cleaver Dam.1D+2). He rolls a 4 and adds the +2=6. This matches the Constitution of the Character and a Wound has been caused! However, no roll for injury is required as only one wound has been removed. (Character has 2 Wounds and only one was removed from this combat.) The models remain locked in Close Combat.

So if the Character will be attacked next round he only has ONE wound left, because in the previous round I marked/erased
one wound from his sheet?

Anyway thanks for your fast reply.

Greetings
Burkhard

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 02:33:59 PM »
You are correct! Rather than erase the wound I would simply keep track with a dice or in my head, in the next game the Wounds value will be as it was at the start of the game. That is to say that wounds are lost in game but not perminantly.

-Mike

Offline loki

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 05:10:11 PM »
You are correct! Rather than erase the wound I would simply keep track with a dice or in my head, in the next game the Wounds value will be as it was at the start of the game. That is to say that wounds are lost in game but not perminantly.

Thanks Mike,
now I understand it. Maybe you could convert the Threshold sheet a little bit, so that I can out mark wounds on it during the game.

I still think the wording in this section: ( page 19 Injuries):

".. Add +1 to the dice roll for every point by which the damage roll exceeded the wounded models Constitution..."

is irritating and should  be equal to the damage from shooting and Close Combat section?
Should it not be "...add +1 for every point past the models last Wound ...."

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »
You have to beat the constitution to score a wound, the higher the constitution the harder it is to damage the creature/human, etc.

Wounds represent the amount of damage one model can take. So for example, a human with one wound is removed after the first wound is suffered. A shoggoth with 5 wounds will require 5 successful attacks to remove.

Constitution = how hard to injure

Wounds = how many times can be injured.

If this isn't what you were posting about sorry, but I had the same questions when I first read the rules.

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »
i think BC99 has it well explained, it took me a couple of read throughs to get that from the rules, but once i thought of it like that it stuck.

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10