Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sharp Practice 1809 Project - Update 2/2023: Sharp Practice AAR  (Read 28175 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Sharp Practice 1809 Project - Update 2/2023: Sharp Practice AAR
« on: February 25, 2020, 02:24:46 PM »
Heyhey. After several years some friends and I decided to do something Sharp Practice related (we leeched off Cpt.Shandy's excellent 15mm ACW terrain and collection for long enough. :D ).

Eversince the release of the rules we (virago and I) talked about how well these would suit games surrounding the Tyrolean uprising. Now it turns out that Nikfu actually owns a rather large and half-painted collection of 28mm Eureka Tyroleans. Virago instantly did his best to lure him into playing SP with us and pledging his allegiance to the king of Bavaria to help root out the "fundamentalist religious terrorist cells". Cpt.Shandy was arm-twisted into doing French. Me, I'll play the glorious role of the k.u.k. army ("Armed rebellion? Cool, got your back, Andreas Hofer!" - "yup, we'll be there in force, totally. Just keep going" - "yeah, we ran into some trouble, talk to you in a few weeks!" - "*This number is currently unavailable.*").

The past weekend I took the time to put together some figures:

Victrix plastics (for line infantry and third rank skirmishers), Front Rank (for Grenzers and Jägers), Black Hussar (Camp personnell, support, and other nice bits), some Warlord (Ladies with mules).

Of course I'm also keeping a keen eye on the Perrys' upcoming plastic cavalry and I should get some more Front Rank stuff. But that seems to be the core force for now and I hope that I can get going on painting the chaps soon!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 02:32:36 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sharp Practice 1809 Project
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 11:43:51 PM »
Oh this will be good.  :D
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Stosstruppen

• Assistant
    • Adventures in Wargaming and History
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »
Thinking about doing the same thing my self. Thanks for the heads up on the Tyroleans!
凱文

"Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide."

Napoleon Bonaparte

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 01:36:54 PM »
Oh this will be good.  :D

Haha, thanks very much. :D Depends on when I find time to do things!

@Stosstruppen: Cool, which side(s) are you doing? Yeah, Tyroleans are fun. Well, it depends :D But it's good that there's a range of them in 28mm and the conflict fits Sharp Practice really well. I'm also happy with my role in the whole thing, as I'm not majorly keen on asymetrical insurgency things in wargaming (because I'm boring), at least not so much in this period.

For now I based line infantry on 18mm washers, skirmishers, leaders and "others" on 24mm washers.

Once that was done and basing stuff was slapped on I proceeded to slay another kind of dragon:

A Landau coach! I got this one, among other things, from Black Hussar miniatures. Very interesting to put together. One thing I had to fix (the stick thing underneath one of the lanterns), I also added the frame at the front of the coackman's seat. The high-ranking officer in the back technically is a Russian, but I think I can get away if I just paint him up as an Austrian officer. What do you think?

Apart from that I primed most of the minis yesterday and hope to get painting proper soon.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 02:15:36 PM »
Looking forward to seeing paint on these.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 05:49:12 PM »
The high-ranking officer in the back technically is a Russian, but I think I can get away if I just paint him up as an Austrian officer. What do you think?

He looks like the guys in my Osprey "Austrian Commanders of the Napoleonic Wars". White coat, red breeches, lots of gold braid and Bob's your uncle.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 12:23:48 AM »
@Stahbahraz: Thanks very much! Me too. :D

@vtsaogames: Cheers. That's what I thought as well. Then I looked into it a little more and things should work out. I'll most likely get rid of the epaulets though. Apart from that he should be OK.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 03:29:36 PM »
From a Bavarian perspective, you get a rare opportunity to use the 11th Infantry Regiment von Kinkel, which had rather attractive green lapels and cuffs.  They were disbanded in 1811 for bad behaviour and so don't appear in the later campaigns.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 11:23:18 PM »
Oooh!  :o Following with interest!
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 12:38:38 PM »
@Baron von Wreckedoften: Well, they WERE named "von Kinkel". Of course they'd misbehave. ;)  Interesting stuff; thanks for sharing. I know next to nothing about the Bavarian army. I once got general von Wrede to paint, but beyond the uniform  I didn't have the time to do proper research. I'm sure the historybookman has a good pdf on them, but these only cover the uniforms and organization. Any suggestions for good literature on the Bavarian army, specially in regards to 1809?

@FreakyFenton: Yeah, if I ever find the time to actually get started proper! :D Hope I do so once the spring shows are done. And that big thing I have to finish by June. And the other thing. I hate to think of it, but this MIGHT turn into a summer project. Let's see.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 12:52:24 PM »
If you can get your hands on a copy of "With Eagles to Glory" by John Gill it will fill you in nicely on the Bavarians and then make you want to veer off and cover the rest of the German allies in the 1809 campaign!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 01:07:51 PM »
:D This might prove fatal, as I already got a whole lot of Poles and Italians to do as well. :D

Offline Stosstruppen

• Assistant
    • Adventures in Wargaming and History
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 01:19:21 PM »
I'd second With Eagles to Glory. Great section on the Bavarians and the Tyrol. I have it next ton my reading list since I did not complete it last time I was reading in it.  So I'll go through the whole thing again.

@Battle Brush Sigur I would do all sides in the conflict. Using Sharp Practice would not require too much in the way of figures.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 11:46:00 AM »
Yes, you can't go far wrong with Gill's book, although the Rawkins/historyman CD has a lot of useful background stuff in it, and there is also "Die Bayerische Armee 1806-1813" in the Heere & Waffen series (I believe they now have an English version out - something they neglected to mention to me when they sold me the German one!).  The Osprey MAA is basic, but ok; no major errors, but it is now looking a bit dated.

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 06:50:33 AM »
Naval and military press are selling the English version: https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/bavarian-army-1806-1813/
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte