Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:39:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tunics, Tunics, and more Tunics. Colors for Clash of Spears  (Read 4014 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Tunics, Tunics, and more Tunics. Colors for Clash of Spears
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 05:44:41 PM »
I'm doing a Republican Roman force for Clash and I'm going for a range of red/browns - terracotta, madder, etc, plus some off whites and minimal pale blue. Although there's no evidence for its my triarii will have bordered tunics too.
I'm doing a mix of shield designs/colours per unit and weaponry will indicate which units are which. I'm actually doing a mid/late 4th century BC army to fight The Gauls and Samnites so my hastati will have javelins/pila, my principles short spears and my triarii longer spears plus hoplite shields. My triarii will also have full bronze breastplates while the principles and hastati tend to have more of the small chest plates. No mail in my 4th century force, although I am planning to paint additional models for a mid 3rd century force so some triarii in mail and hastati and principles all armed with pila and swords.
Regarding weaponry, this is all based on stuff I've read recently about weaponry/tactics in the 4th century BC in Italy, although they'll all function as per whatever the rules say for Punic War Romans...

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2020, 11:10:17 PM »
that is pretty awesome... looking forward to seeing them!

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 11:10:54 PM »
Frostie those are great!. yeah i like that idea. keep the shields uniform and the tunics more varied. for sure what im going for. I'm super excited for clash of spears. Just played a pick up game to just test rules out with some normans and vikings. was good fun.

awesome !

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 12:51:19 AM »
Given that even civilian dress was pretty uniform, and the international military mind with its devotion to such things (not without reason), I have no doubts that you might expect some attempts at uniformity.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.