Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:32:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686641
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tribal/Primeval, opinions?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Tribal/Primeval, opinions?
« on: February 26, 2020, 12:48:29 AM »
All,
      I have both rule sets, courtesy of a friend, and I am try8 g to wrap my head aro7 d the card play.  To me, it seems complex and a bit tedious.  I have been using Fistful of Lead for my prehistoric games, and enjoying the play.  What do you all think of Tribal/Primeval?

Offline Armchair2000

• Lurker
Re: Tribal/Primeval, opinions?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:51:38 AM »
I find the card play of combat introduces some (needed IMHO) complexity into a game with relatively few moving parts (usually around 6 a side).

I quite like the choices around when to play lower value cards and when it’s better to play the various suites – and who these interact with choices to use long or short weapons.

I also like the way that the initial choice of activation card carries over into combat.

It’s far and away my pick for prehistoric combat.

A friend has some pretty pictures of a few of the games we have played on his blog at: http://macslittlefriends.blogspot.com/search/label/Tribal

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »
Nick, the only way you figure is to try both FFOL and Tribal and see what you feel more comfortable.
I only tried Tribal once and i cant help much but FFOL is certainly a good choice.
Or you can write what you like in both sets of rules and complete your own. ;)

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 09:32:21 PM »
I played just the basic Tribal, and I love the game -rules are simple, but they give something that many rules systems lack of- opportunity for a player to make a meaningful decisions while figures are in combat. Most games I know focus on movement or army/warband composition, with some variety when it comes to activating units, but when units meets it's just rolling dice. Tribal gives more control to the players. My only concern is that after few games it could use some additional complexity

Offline Lord Blackheart

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 01:20:07 AM »
Armchair2000, your friend's blog was one of the best AAR for Tribal (Primeval) I have seen. I liked that it discussed the balance between the tribes. Less nimble Neanderthals struggling to outmaneuver Cro-Magons, but beating the snot out of them when they finally caught up. Different skill and strategy options and their influence on the game (avoiding the cave bear in the woods, marvelling at the pack of wolves hunting with the Cro-magnons).

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 03:08:29 AM »
I think I a, just reaching;g the point where I am tired of learning new, shiny rules.  Fistful of Lead gives a great prehistoric game, and is easily tweaked to give a good represnetation of different hominid groups.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 08:21:49 AM »
I think I a, just reaching;g the point where I am tired of learning new, shiny rules.  Fistful of Lead gives a great prehistoric game, and is easily tweaked to give a good represnetation of different hominid groups.

That... ;)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 07:20:19 PM »
As it happens I introduced a new player to Tribal ( played with Trojans and Mycenaeans as I don't have enough Northern Bronze age figures  for 2 complete armies as of yet) yesterday.
It took me about 15 minutes to get him to understand the rules and explain the card combat system. He lost the exchange ( which wasn't my intention!) but immediately afterwards he asked for another game. Now that is exactly the same response I got from another new player a few months ago, so Tribal and Primeval definitely are somewhat addictive.

The card Combat hand system makes it really interesting and a big ( huge?) change from the normal 'throw dices and compare who got the most hits'

However I agree that after a while the whole game system can become somewhat too simplistic and then it is up to you to go for either balanced scenarios or asymmetrical engagements.  With the Honour point system you can really vary a lot.

Haven't yet tried Brutal but will give it a go as soon as my Belgian mobsters are done.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 07:24:55 PM »
As an added thought. One thing that 'annoyed' me sometimes is that normal playing card take up a lot of room as activation markers, sometimes interfering with unit placement and/or terrain elements.
 Which is why I am on the lookout now for a few sets of small card decks.
Any help with this is highly appreciated!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 09:03:28 PM »
Thank you!

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 09:12:02 PM »
WillieB, if you have a chinese shop close by give them a check.
I bought 3 decks for 1 euro each of small cards.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 09:16:18 PM »
Thank you! There's a Chines supermarket within walking distance from my home!