Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:29:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rough Wooing Scots Infantry - Suggestions please.  (Read 1423 times)

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
Rough Wooing Scots Infantry - Suggestions please.
« on: April 24, 2020, 12:57:52 PM »
During the lock down, one of the worst things you can do is pick a book of the shelf for a period you don't yet wargame. But like a pleb, thats exactly what I did. So reading about the Rough Wooings (the period roughly between the death of James V of Scotland and the expulsion of the French from Scotland in 1560), I was again tempted into another period. Now TAG do lovely Tudor English for this period as well as some Valois French, I've even got some Landsnkecht handgunners and some of the Old Claymore Casting highlanders but, and here is the question, what would you recommend using for the common Scots lowland infantry to match these?

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Rough Wooing Scots Infantry - Suggestions please.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:54:28 PM »
The border Horse would be the same as the English side, the lowland Scots more problematic, you might consider puttign bonneted heads on generic figures for the period alongside others in helmets etc?
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 11:08:02 PM »
There's the Dixon Flodden range which has some Scots pikemen; but they might be too early for your purposes. Could be worth a look though.

https://www.dixon-minis.com/shop/flodden-1513/

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 11:09:54 PM »
I've been looking at Scots clothing for the slightly later Marian period and the Gordon-Forbes feud.  (Just today in fact). I can't find any difference between English and Scots dress for city dwellers and lowland Scots.

Therefore the same figures can and should be used for horse and foot.

The Ospreys on the border reivers suggest the use of field signs such as sewn on Saltires and St George crosses as the only way of picking out who's who. Other sources say both nations drew the fashion inspirations from the continent and therefore looked similar.

I've seen illustrations of tabard wearing troops for both French and English but none for Scots so perhaps figures wearing these should be avoided. 

My way to distinguishing the two would be in the colour palates used. Perhaps a bit more grey and blue for the Scots and perhaps black and red for the English for example - I seem to recall black as being a popular Tudor colour, but any would do. Filing a Tudor hat to make a round Scots bonnet would be another simple approach.

You picked an easy one - I've got to pick between two lots of Scots! lol

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 04:31:42 AM »
What on earth is plebian about that? - Confused Kitty
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 07:36:27 AM »
@Emir - The Marian war is another period that interests me but as I have forces for the Dutch Revolt it seems silly to do a another force so similar, after all, a lot of the scots that fought in the Marian war went across to fight in the low countries.
@Kitty - I used pleb as a synonym of numpty, muppet, choob, tool, moron, idiot, long before i knew what it actually meant.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 02:33:34 PM by whiskey priest »

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »
I've had a look your blog now and yes, can see why you'd want something different.

I'd go with the earlier suggestion of some Flodden Scots in that case. Border Reiver types are going to look too similar to your later stuff. Dixon's range is quite good for the pike, bills and most of the rank and file but some of the others poses aren't so good IMHO. A friend has a lot of them, but the Dixon site is well photographed.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 09:47:33 AM »
i think I'd be very temped to go with the TAG Tudor range and a serious (but not too difficult) amount of putty work :)

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »
Have you checked out the Osprey on Scottish Renaissance Armies?

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 10:36:32 AM »
Yeah, I think I might have bought it as soon as it came out. It's a good one.

Offline AndyG

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 07:49:29 PM »
 Reiver Castings do a Flodden range but looking at the Ian Heath Foundry book on the 16th century they look little different from the 1540s pikemen illustrated.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »
Reiver Castings do a Flodden range but looking at the Ian Heath Foundry book on the 16th century they look little different from the 1540s pikemen illustrated.

Yeah, agreed. Fashion changes quite quickly and sometimes dramatically in those few decades