Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:52:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689675
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's bloodsuckers  (Read 10993 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Captain Blood's bloodsuckers
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 04:50:28 PM »
BLIMEY Richard  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

You’ve outdone yourself this time these are bloody fantastic  8) 8) 8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 06:28:28 PM »
Sparkling gems, all of them. What's your receipt fro undead skin? I like the greenish tint.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 06:39:24 PM »
Shiny stuff!

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2020, 09:31:21 PM »
Great work, Richard. Remember our talk last year on the way to Gatwick. Hope you will do the rest.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2020, 09:34:58 PM »
wonderful figures and painting.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 03:21:22 AM »
Would you stop that!  I am trying not to buy any more figures at the moment!

-Michael

P.S. Love 'em.  Verrrrry creepy.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 11:19:49 PM »
These are great!

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 10:34:38 AM »
Awesome work Richard, in comparison mine look a bit dead  lol
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 12:38:22 PM »
Awesome work Richard, in comparison mine look a bit dead  lol

lol

Sparkling gems, all of them. What's your receipt fro undead skin? I like the greenish tint.

Actually it’s just Vallejo ‘Dark Flesh’ (which isn’t that dark at all, it’s quite yellowy) with increasing amounts of ‘Pale Sand’ mixed in for the highlights. With a very very thin oil wash of burnt umber between times.
For the Vampire Lords, I did mix in a tiny amount of ‘Russian Uniform’ too, to give them a very slightly greeny tinge  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 12:43:59 PM »
lol

Actually it’s just Vallejo ‘Dark Flesh’ (which isn’t that dark at all, it’s quite yellowy) with increasing amounts of ‘Pale Sand’ mixed in for the highlights. With a very very thin oil wash of burnt umber between times.
For the Vampire Lords, I did mix in a tiny amount of ‘Russian Uniform’ too, to give them a very slightly greeny tinge  :)

Oil wash? You must take your time painting...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 12:52:04 PM »
Nope, not at all. I have recently got into oil washes as a result of using them on my WW2 AFVs. They are WAAAAy better than ink washes like GW and Army Painter. You can mix whatever shade you want. And the trick is, you need a pin prick of oil paint in a generous droplet or three of white spirit. If you use it very very thinned down like this, it dries almost as quickly as an acrylic wash, and dries flat matt too. But the finish is (for my money) much better. It has the added advantage, that if you wish, within the first hour or two you can reanimate it with another drop of white spirit, and move it around. After that it dries properly and is fixed. But it’s not like using neat (or slightly thinned) oil paint where it takes days for the paint to go off. It’s basically a white spirit wash with a tiny bit of tincture in it. It evaporates and dries to the touch within a couple of minutes. It’s flow properties are far superior to ink washes though...

Maybe I’ll do a tutorial  ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 12:57:16 PM »
Nope, not at all. I have recently got into oil washes as a result of using them on my WW2 AFVs. They are WAAAAy better than ink washes like GW and Army Painter. You can mix whatever shade you want. And the trick is, you need a pin prick of oil paint in a generous droplet or three of white spirit. If you use it very very thinned down like this, it dries almost as quickly as an acrylic wash, and dries flat matt too. But the finish is (for my money) much better. It has the added advantage, that if you wish, within the first hour or two you can reanimate it with another drop of white spirit, and move it around. After that it dries properly and is fixed. But it’s not like using neat (or slightly thinned) oil paint where it takes days for the paint to go off. It’s basically a white spirit wash with a tiny bit of tincture in it. It evaporates and dries to the touch within a couple of minutes. It’s flow properties are far superior to ink washes though...

Ha, yadda ya know, there are still things to learn  in the  world of miniature painting. I've done oil washed  plenty on vehicles but  I probably used a higher oil paint content, wherefore I am used to them having to dry and set for at least a day.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 03:18:28 PM »

that would be great.

love the sound of it - and ever on the track of washes that 'really' work, but not sure I want to get back into the odoriferous area of oils etc ... brings back sort of happy memories of doing the 'Gilder' thing on horses tho ...  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2020, 05:42:10 PM »
Yeah. I tried the Gilder thing on Hinchliffe horses too, circa 1980 (I was a very young child :D) I don’t think they ever dried properly. The oil paint was still sticky in the crevices about 3 months later  lol

But I think I’ve mastered it now  ;)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2020, 06:13:27 PM »
Stunning work on a great range of figures.