Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 05:05:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696105
  • Total Topics: 118740
  • Online Today: 459
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Generic 28mm sci-fi troops?  (Read 7212 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Generic 28mm sci-fi troops?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »
GoA has high tech (concord), mid tech (Algoryn) and tribal (Freeborn), all in plastic.
The Freeborn are a bit of a let down.

Unlike most multipart figures, the arms are integral to the torso (a figure comprises legs, torso and arms, head and a weapon). This limits the poses available. There is no specific leader body, nor are there specific arms for the optional weapons.

It is possible to modify the arms a bit.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2020, 04:44:24 PM »
That is sad. The regiments range is good, but not consistent. The heads could do with being a tad smaller and less spherical in some cases.

My thoughts exactly. Some of the regiments range are fantastic, but I honestly don't like some of the oversized weapons. Afterlife was/is a brilliant near future sci fi range and broke away from the plethora of 40k knock offs that plague 28mm scale.

Now not like I don't like 40k or the knock offs, just wish their were more generic sci fi ranges, but clearly they don't sell particularly well or not enough to make up for design/casting costs. As other posters have said, GZG 25mm ranges, or maybe Copplestones are a good bet and they stand the test of time.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 01:13:07 PM »
If you're not adverse to some heroic 28s, I could also point out the older metal Warzone miniatures. Not the Prodos ones, although they're nice in their own right and with modern sculpting, but the  OOP ones now sold by Prince August (as long as stock lasts that is).

At first I was also reluctant, seeing as to me Warzone was always a wannabe 40K thing, but the sculpts stand on their own in a very nineties kind of way. Which obviously is nice if you like that sort of thing ;)

I did up a small force of these for use as generic scifi infantry, and they do this pretty well. So well in fact,t hat I've got anouther two squads lined up for painting (eventually ::) ). I should mention that I've specifically used the Capitol Heavy infantry, Sea Lions and Free Marines, which convey a sort of Colonial Marine feel (if you squint hard enough), but are generic enough to be used virtually everywhere. Although, obviously, they're all heroically sculpted, bulked out bodybuilder types ;)

Here's a link to my guys: DWAN Corporate Troopers
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »
The Sedition Wars game figures are really nice.

Not my paintwork.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 03:08:57 PM »
Scotia Grendel stock the Urban War and Void models. Some of the Viridians are suitably generic

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 06:56:34 PM »
The Defiance Games range (from the guys who screwed up Wargames Factory and had it bought out from under them by the Chinese, before they sold it to Warlord) was actually really good for this.  Quality was hit and miss, but their plastic troopers range was a great cheap, generic set of plastic SF soldiers and they had a power armoured resin mini that just about made it to a commercial release before they disappeared from view.  The plastic troopers box can still be found, here and there, on the shelves of obscure wargames shops, usually covered with dust...

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 07:31:16 PM »
EM4 has some plastic troops that are dirt cheap. https://em4miniatures.com/collections/science-fiction-near-future-miniatures/products/troopers.

They have/had heavy weapons kits that you could use to upgrade the troopers.

Here are a few of mine slightly modified.

If you have a 3D printer you could always print up some Guard Dog Troopers from thingverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3028475

They print up rather nice.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 02:18:20 AM »
Not keen of the dog heads but the bodies look good.

Great find!

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »
Khusaran did some nice generic scifi infantry in  28mm (Federal range), they're not too badly priced either for metal minis:

I see they've added some scav types as well...

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 01:29:33 PM »
Pig Iron sells packs of various heads you could swap for plastic or resin figs you like except for the heads.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:58:54 PM by johnl5555 »
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 08:33:09 PM »
I love Pig Iron Productions.  I have several groups of their soldiers.  Lots of fun to paint up!

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 09:04:18 PM »
There's the Heresy Miniatures troopers which come with a choice of heads. There's heavy weapon and officer options as well.

https://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_61

Offline 1000foot

• Bookworm
    • 1000 Foot General
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2020, 02:19:34 PM »
These aren't plastic multipart figures, but I'm working on creating a range of sci-fi figures inspired by low-budget movies, comics and games of the 70s and 80s. I took inspiration for these "Astro Guards" from Battletech uniforms from the 80s, Paranoia armor, schlocky sci-fi uniforms from forgotten movies like Time Guardian and the New Barbarians and a variety of pulp comic and novel covers.

There are lots of great 40K-like figures and near future tactical boy armor figures available, but I wanted to offer something a bit more pulpy, space opera and retro without going all the way back to the ray gun sci-fi of the 50s and 60s. If you can wait a few months I'm hoping to launch a kickstarter to get these masters into production in the spring. If you are interested you can get some more info about this project on the Star Schlock website.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2020, 02:42:43 PM »
Oh my!  :-* I like those! Signed up to your newsletter 1000foot.  8)

Offline 1000foot

• Bookworm
    • 1000 Foot General
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2020, 02:54:06 PM »
Thanks! I'm pretty confident the project will fund, and I'm working on additional figures for stretch goals. I'm intending to add a heavy weapons team, but if you have any requests or suggestions let me know!