Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:02:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm 300 "style" SPARTANS  (Read 3328 times)

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
15mm 300 "style" SPARTANS
« on: March 03, 2020, 01:08:22 PM »
First of all I have no economical interests, my only aim is to have them produced....
This is a Spin off of my other post: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=122982.0

For my 15mm Mortal Gods Spartans I wanted them 300 styled (the movie).
I recently found out this new Z range of Museum Miniatures. Pretty cool (and cheap) generic greeks, very muscular like in the movie...
https://www.museumminiatures.co.uk/new-releases.html
https://it-it.facebook.com/SculpterZ/
A part from what already available, before the end of the month should be ready even cavalry and officers...
I was thinking to convert some of these hoplites in 300 style Spartans adding pants, cloacks and cutting the crest (except for Leonidas).
But this morning I decided to write to Dave of Museum Miniatures exposing my idea... He was very kind, apreciated it and very quickly send me this.... :-*

Me and him evidently like the idea. Any other interested???
Thanks,
Davide

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: 15mm 300 "style" SPARTANS
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 03:43:24 PM »
They look great  :-*

Offline mc_deli

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 03:28:56 PM »
I am painting some of the naked Museum Z hoplites now (right now, and sadly I’m a hack :( ) and they are great and I will happily instabuy anything else (Greek) that Dave can churn out.

Gap in the market for Alex Royal Peltasts, can’t get enough pike and a new take on Thracian and Thessalian light and hvy cav pls ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:33:57 PM by mc_deli »

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 07:47:00 PM »
They look nice, but for two things.

The right breast on the naked torso figure thrusting with the spear looks a bit ... off ...

The rear foot on each figure is positioned back - this would put a lot of pressure on the knee and also make it hard for a person to focus their weight/torsion/effort forward.  (A foot held like that is like an "anchor", impeding movement.)

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 07:59:40 PM »
Yes, probably a little unnatural, but my focus was last photo, others were samples....  ;)

I am painting some of the naked Museum Z hoplites now (right now, and sadly I’m a hack :( ) and they are great and I will happily instabuy anything else (Greek) that Dave can churn out.

Gap in the market for Alex Royal Peltasts, can’t get enough pike and a new take on Thracian and Thessalian light and hvy cav pls ;)

Can you share some photographs of your models? Please....
sorry but Alexandrian Royal peltasts did not exist... Maybe you are thinking of hypaspists. Only under later Argeads this Corp (probably) was known as royal peltasts (+ agema). Many producers have hypaspists in 15mm and (as I know) only xyston later argead peltasts, but in the field battle version. I.e. Heavily armed, but in many case they were used light equipped as elite skirmish troops.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 09:14:33 PM »
I love the idea, and would certainly buy them as long as they’re not too small. I.e. since they are more or less fantasy models, they should go with other fantasy stuff, like Copplestone, Demonworld.

The ideal thing would be to make them compatible with Xyston sizewise.

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 09:27:30 PM »
Hi,
here a comparison between a Xyston persian archer and 3 old Museum range medievals I use for fantasy...
I would use them for Mortal Gods, but a thing must be clear: supercool Hollywood style, but totally unhistorical.
Maybe Mc_Deli could be more precise about the size of this new Z range....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:33:06 PM by D. Brownie »

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 09:44:29 PM »
For anyone playing the long haul, it's worth remembering that Museum do a January sale that generally starts just after Christmas and finishes Vapnartak weekend, and gives a splendid 25% discount.
I usually stock up on non-urgent things like baggage wagons etc. but a couple of extra cut-price units could be tempting (already got a stash of stuff waiting to paint).
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline mc_deli

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 07:27:46 AM »
Yes, probably a little unnatural, but my focus was last photo, others were samples....  ;)

Can you share some photographs of your models? Please....
sorry but Alexandrian Royal peltasts did not exist... Maybe you are thinking of hypaspists. Only under later Argeads this Corp (probably) was known as royal peltasts (+ agema). Many producers have hypaspists in 15mm and (as I know) only xyston later argead peltasts, but in the field battle version. I.e. Heavily armed, but in many case they were used light equipped as elite skirmish troops.
Royal Peltasts gap in the market - bad joke, sorry.

Here are a couple of photos. The photos don't really reflect real life however.

Museum Z nude hoplite Vs Chariot hoplite (from @87! at the time, I thought the best figure I had ever seen, I only just primed them and they are still special!). The Museum hoplite is a shade larger, larger features, body etc. I wouldn't put these in the same unit because the shield size is night and day - much larger Museum shield. I don't have other companies' hoplites to compare.

Xyston Indian archers with Museum Z Indian archer in between. These are very close to identical. The Museum is a tiny hair under but with pose variation it's not noticeable IMHO. Obviously bow length is different but the figures are strikingly similar - really very similar. (Bonus: in the background Museum Z and primed Xyston Indian pachyderms, basically same height).

I also note that, from all the Museum Z Indians I have, the foot commanders are a little smaller but I am going to mix them with Xystons anyway. Conversely, Xyston's foot Porus is a little larger, but obviously that adds character;)

Overall, my guess/feeling is the Museum Z range is a shade larger than Chariot/Essex and a shade under Xyston, depending on model. I don't have any FIB or legacy Museum. to compare. But I think this is consistent with what others have said.

Sorry for the poor pics but I have time, lighting etc. issues.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 07:40:26 AM by mc_deli »

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 09:17:45 AM »
Thank you very much!!!  ;)

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 09:47:10 AM »
Things are going on...

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »
They look great!

Offline mc_deli

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 02:14:33 PM »
Really hard to take a good comparison pic and get focus on the black with the guys on lolly sticks.

This pic, and the second row of Museum (left) and Chariot (right) tells much more. IMHO both really lovely casts, and here you can see the Museum naked figure texture and detail better.

From what I’ve seen with Xyston, Museum Z, FIB and the best bits of Khurusan, Essex and MM (Chariot)... and if there are some plastics coming, there’s a good selection out there.

#15mmAncientsRevival

Offline Wilton Shagpile

• Lurker
  • Been their, done that, got the rash to prove it.
    • Muuseum Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 08:08:48 PM »
[Hi,

Poses always come in for criticism, the problem always is that in the end they have to go into a vulcanized rubber mould and cast. It's a two-part mould with a split line down the centre. This does limit what you can achieve with poses, there are loads of poses every manufacturer would love to make but they just will not come out of the mould.

Found on the internet in Amazon a set of punches. These run from 1mm to 11mm and with a tap of a reasonably big hammer onto a cutting board cut a perfect shield out.... No more knives or scissors. My first and second attempt were both perfect. Easy to line up as you can see the shield inside the cutter.
£9.89... They are a snip "lol" at £9.89 inc postage. I really do recommend these, nice n sharp and the Hoplite shield cut on 10mm or 11mm. Make sure you get these as they are the only one's I could find that had 11mm which seems perfect for the Transfers.  Link to Amazon site........

Round Punches

https://museumminiatures.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d7555a1fcee3039ebd185a2f&id=0032051a2e&e=db62e50548

Come see what's happening on Face-book.....