Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:46:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First look at "Legnano to Jaffa" Range -- 28mm Late 12th century  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
This will be our first 28mm historical range, and the first codes have now been made.  They are for knights from the 1160s to around Jaffa, so say 1192 or so.  In this period the basic knight was in fairly complete chainmail, not yet wearing a surcoat, and with an openfaced helmet.  There were of course both surcoats and habits (for the military orders) to be found, and they will certainly be made, but the basic building blocks first.

So far three codes are basically done --

Knights no surcoat, lance up
Knights no surcoat, lance 45 degrees
Banneret or other commander plus musician, no surcoat

The three images show them, then the horses as modified.  I had one test figurine made but wasn't happy with the horses legs, so I had that modified on the horses (the knight models are sitting on the unaltered dollies). 

Next I think will be foot with spears and foot with crossbows.

Also a question -- on lances, do gamers expect to receive these in pewter from the manufacturer, or do they just supply their own?  I had a lance made for the test figure, and while it scaled correctly, it bent extremely easily, despite being pewter.  I had the sculptor go up in thickness to compensate, but frankly if I were painting and gaming with them I think I'd just use brass lances. 

then the horses:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:21:28 PM by Khurasan Miniatures »
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Re: First look at "Legnano to Jaffa" Range -- 28mm Late 12th century
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 06:39:52 PM »
Looks good! :) I am looking forward to it!

Edit: About the spears. I wouldn't bother in making pewter spears. Most people will replace it anyway. I will probably use Fireforge games 8cm plastic lances.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:42:41 PM by Tonhel »

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 06:48:41 PM »
Thanks!  But people will be ok receiving knights without lances?   ???

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 06:52:10 PM »
Thanks!  But people will be ok receiving knights without lances?   ???
That I don't know. ;-) I do expect that most people will replace their pewter lances.

Online DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 06:57:33 PM »
Well pewter lances (or spears or pikes) are easy to paint up (because they are already there and need no tinkering), but suck.

They will bend and eventually break. If I can do it I try to exchange them with wire lances, especially at smaller scales.

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »
I agree Divismal -- I was very unhappy with the test lance.  Ok, I've had a thicker one made, maybe I'll sell them at basically cost, as optional add-ons for people who really want them. 

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 07:29:55 PM »
I agree Divismal -- I was very unhappy with the test lance.  Ok, I've had a thicker one made, maybe I'll sell them at basically cost, as optional add-ons for people who really want them.

Don't make the hand for the lance to big / open, maybe closed so people need to drill a hole for their lances. As most people don't want to use to thick lances.  It looks bad.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 07:33:09 PM »
But people will be ok receiving knights without lances?   ???

Of course! These are wonderful and I would be happy enough to give them steel wire lances from Northstar.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 07:41:13 PM »
Of course! These are wonderful and I would be happy enough to give them steel wire lances from Northstar.

Yeah, me too. Wire spears are actually my preference. Though, as an exception to the rule, somehow the Perry's do cast stiffer less prone to breakage spears and lances.

If it was for a later period where the shape began to change then I would almost certainly want them to be included.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 07:51:07 PM »
Also a question -- on lances, do gamers expect to receive these in pewter from the manufacturer, or do they just supply their own?

Dissenting voice,

I expect them to be included, and I am mightily pissed at manufacturers that does not. 

So please include lances/spear, I did not have issues in my life with them. If properly cared they rarely bend or break... I also never found them looking bad at game distance, maybe on blowout pictures... also pewter lances are easier to cut to desired length than steel ones.

on the other hand please to not give us solid hands, they are a core to drill.

But I am speaking for myself, I never believed in people claiming to know what the majority of a community wants (usually they are called politicians!).

And as I said I am a dissenter....  ;D
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
Food for thought here -- hmmm...

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 08:39:12 PM »
The figures look very nice - and are proportioned like real human beings which is a winning point in my book. The 1150-1200 era is also very poorly covered by manufacturers, which means your range will cover a major gap.

My only reservation would be the chainmail, which does not look very textured : I know most sculptors tend to overdo it for greater ease of painting but the coats of mail on the miniatures look quite smooth. Unless of course it's just the pictures.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 09:12:51 PM »
Food for thought here -- hmmm...

I prefer hands that have to be drilled. It doesn't take very long, seconds in fact.

I think the main thing is to design the hands so that the spears are partially clutched by the miniature. In other words, not so open handed that it's possible to knock a well glued spear out of the hand by accident.

• Mastermind
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 09:32:08 PM »

My only reservation would be the chainmail, which does not look very textured : I know most sculptors tend to overdo it for greater ease of painting but the coats of mail on the miniatures look quite smooth. Unless of course it's just the pictures.

IMO it's superb sculpting, yes it's fine but chainmail was, and I think it looks very realistic.

Here's a paintup of an early test model:

A bit closer to actual size:  ;)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:39:03 PM by Khurasan Miniatures »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 10:17:19 PM »
These look great - I look forward to seeing more.

for me, it's another vote for no pewter lances - steel lances all the way! And either closed hands to drill out, or nearly-closed ones. Not big wide open hands which appear to hold the lances to the palm magnetically/magically.

And I like the mail. It does appear finer than most mail we see - and I like that! Mail would appear almost smooth at any sort of distance wouldn't it? Your painted example seems spot on in this regard.