Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:53:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 856
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1813 Chevalier Guards and Russian Generals  (Read 1964 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
1813 Chevalier Guards and Russian Generals
« on: March 06, 2020, 12:31:55 PM »
Heyhey, here's the Chevalier Guards and the two generals (one of the guard, one of the infantry) now:

Researching the trims on the shabraques was a bit of an adventure, as there seem to be varying reports (and even originals still around!) on whether the edges are white-blue-white or yellow-blue-yellow. Talked to people, either made great points based on good literature. In the end I went with white-blue-white, because the gentleman I paint these for said so. :D Which is a cheap way out, I'll admit. Also, some people made a point of the white maybe having turned yellow over time (as white  uniform things sometimes do).

If you'd like to know more about this famed regiment (and read stories of enormous pettiness by Grand Duke Constantine towards them for being part of the conspiration and murder of this father), have a look here: http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Russian_guard.htm#_cavalry
The site's general a treasure trove of info on Napoleonic military history things, as you probably know.

...aaand a look at what's currently on the desk (as I try my best to get them done for the spring shows):

No idea why it's so many Napoleonics these days. It's this weird thing of what ever I get to paint draws more of the same in. And sometimes it's just dumb coincidences.

Aaanyway, hope you like the figures!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:35:03 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: 1813 Chevalier Guards and Russian Generals
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 10:02:05 AM »
Your Chevalier Guards and the two generals are a real pleasure to look at!
Excellent detail! Your brush performed a great job!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:08:43 AM »
Lovely work mate  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 03:31:17 PM »
Excellent work!! ;)

Offline LazyStudent

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 04:08:00 PM »
Excellent painting! Those horses are brilliantly done!
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »
Fantastic painting

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 08:22:01 PM »
Handsome work there.

Offline ZaOtlichiye

• Student
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 04:07:22 AM »
Nice work! For niggling details about Russian uniforms you are welcome to check my web page: http://zaotlichiye.net63.net/allfacings.html

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 05:35:50 AM »

Fantastic work! 8) :-* 8)

Perry Cavalry and Front Rank Officers, right?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 08:10:38 AM »
Beautiful painting!

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 12:58:53 PM »
Beautiful figures and excellent paint job.

Offline JohnFoA

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
Nice job.  A pleasure to look at.  Thanks for sharing.

BTW Did the CG take their Vexillum into battle?  I seem to recall they left it behind  for Borodino.  Doesn't really matter mind; nicely painted flag, good figures, great for any command group, what's not to like.
On the balance the helicopter gunship is also mightier than the sword

Offline ZaOtlichiye

• Student
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 01:44:41 AM »
Olszewski (http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/) did some nice work finding info in the regimental history to the effect that the vexilla were stored with the train before both Austerlitz and Friedland.
The history of these standards is a little strange. Three were issued in 1800 and no more during the wars, although the Leib-garde Horse got a new set in 1807 (indicating losses??). But they were so dilapidated by mid-century when Viskovatov wrote his tomes, he claims the size, pattern, and colors were unknown. Seems odd that he couldn't find an illustration of such a prominent regiment. Andolenko claims an 1912 photograph of the surviving staffs, wires, tassels and fringes, but no cloth. The rose floral cloth with white cross comes from Gabayev's description, on unknown basis.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 02:10:05 AM by ZaOtlichiye »

Offline JohnFoA

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 10:27:46 AM »
 ZaOtlichiye

Really interesting notes, thanks for sharing research.

John

PS Still lovely painting BBS

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 01:52:39 PM »
Wahey, many thanks for the nice comments!

@DintheDin: Well, guards units deserve special attention. :D And these projects are always just a handful of figures, which of course won't let me rely of 'the massed impression' to work in my favour.

@OSHIROmodels: Thanks, Sir!

@archiduque: Thanks for dropping by and commenting. Much appreciated. :)

@LazyStudent: Thanks very much. Mustn't forget about the horses. Uniforms will always look nice due to in-built contrast and all, but the horses play a big role in the overall look I think.

@flags_of_war: Many thanks!

@OB: Cheers!

@ZaOtlichiye: Thanks, and your site is a treasure trove of useful info. Great resource. The gentleman I paint these smaller units for usually gives me excellent instructions on the units he wants done (and how he wants them done), but especially in Napoleonics the more info the better! Not the least just to confirm other sources. Also of course many thanks for the info on the vexilium!

@Calimero: Exactly. Thanks very much!

@Digits: Thank you!

@schoey: Absolutely. I can't quite decide whether I prefer FR or Perrys. Currently I'm veering towards Front Rank, simply because they're so nice to paint and cast to a great quality. But then I get a unit of Perrys, and these are just really, really good sculpts as well. For my own Napoleonics project I'm using mostly Front Rank (and Victrix plastics) now.

@JohnFoA: Thanks, Sir! Yeah, I'm rather sure they didn't take them with them into battle. But then again, maybe they did for show to upstage the other Guards cavalry unit they've been feuding with constantly and when they were ordered to charge they had some junior officer quickly return it to safety or something? Either way, the things is that we always abstract a bit on the wargames table (to varying degrees). And when depicting guard units I'd rather have all the bells and whistles on them, even if they didn't carry them into battle, simply because it looks pretty and let's be honest - how often will we get to do these units? And if we do, would we rather do them in their extra impressive variant or a 'realistic' one? I'm sure there'll be people who disagree on that, but I tend to go for more colourful when it comes to wargames units rather than less colourful. But then I'm also one of those perverts who paint their rivers blue, so my judgement just may be off. :D