Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Renaissance Skirmish Project in 15mm - 🧨 New Pic 14 March  (Read 8275 times)

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
Re: 15mm Renaissance Skirmish Project - New Photos pg. 3
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »

I'm looking for playtesters and others to provide feedback on the rules!

If a narrative pike-and-shot era skirmish game sounds interesting, please reach out!

I'm definitely in for playtesting :).

If you want more unit types maybe consider stuff like eastern cavalry, sharpshooters, arquebusers and special characters like local informant/guide (gives clues about terrain), spy (gives clues about opponent's army), medic, witch, camp followers etc.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:03:03 PM by M.P. »
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
    • Will's Tabletop Projects
Re: 15mm Renaissance Skirmish Project - New Photos 27 Dec
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »
The image link is for an http (unsecured) url and this will wont show on a https (secured) page due to the security restrictions I have in place on Firefox. 

This will be the same on many browsers that likewise ban unsecure images as  a security risk or for anyone using the "HTTPSeverywhere" extension on the most secure settings.

vexilla, this is the most helpful advice! I've been stumped and frustrated for months at why my images weren't appearing and, hopefully, this appears to be it.

I've gone into my webhost to setup an SSL certificate and get the site and hosted images to load as https.

Can you - or anyone else - confirm the images are appearing for you?
Focused on 6mm pike and shot and 28mm Frostgrave
Blogging about my projects at Tabletop.WillPhillips.org

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2020, 05:23:49 AM »
I'm definitely in for playtesting :).

I'd welcome your feedback!

Mind filling out this short form so I have your info?

https://forms.gle/uvtNLMsLdfX19XUg9

I'm planning on sending out the first round of playtest rules to folks outside of my inner circle this weekend.

If you want more unit types maybe consider stuff like eastern cavalry, sharpshooters, arquebusers and special characters like local informant/guide (gives clues about terrain), spy (gives clues about opponent's army), medic, witch, camp followers etc.

I've got a handful of those types as options right now, I think you'll be happy to see.

The special characters will likely come up during campaign play.

I'm planning on the progression system to be based around the warband as a group, rather than individual characters or troop selections.

So that as you advance, you "unlock" special characters or locations (e.g. a favored tavern, a blacksmith, a chapel) that give you various benefits you may select from... or at least that's the idea so far.

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2020, 09:07:03 AM »
vexilla, this is the most helpful advice! I've been stumped and frustrated for months at why my images weren't appearing and, hopefully, this appears to be it.

No problem.  You are most welcome.

I've gone into my webhost to setup an SSL certificate and get the site and hosted images to load as https.

That's the solution.

Can you - or anyone else - confirm the images are appearing for you?

I can now see your images.  Job done.  :) 8)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2020, 09:42:58 AM »
Interesting looking project.
Have previously put on some skirmish musketeer games. Have been toying around with a warhound and worlds pain project.
Just wondering why you went for multiple figures on a base?

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2020, 09:47:54 AM »
I'd welcome your feedback!

Mind filling out this short form so I have your info?

https://forms.gle/uvtNLMsLdfX19XUg9

I'm planning on sending out the first round of playtest rules to folks outside of my inner circle this weekend.

I've got a handful of those types as options right now, I think you'll be happy to see.

The special characters will likely come up during campaign play.

I'm planning on the progression system to be based around the warband as a group, rather than individual characters or troop selections.

So that as you advance, you "unlock" special characters or locations (e.g. a favored tavern, a blacksmith, a chapel) that give you various benefits you may select from... or at least that's the idea so far.

O that sounds so cool :), can't wait to read the draft.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »
I'm thinking about doing a board for your game. Will it change something game-wise if I reduce grid from 4" to 4cm? Or is it just a matter of aesthetics?

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2020, 09:40:59 PM »
I'm thinking about doing a board for your game. Will it change something game-wise if I reduce grid from 4" to 4cm? Or is it just a matter of aesthetics?

That's quite a jump! The grid is used in two chief ways:
  • Movement and action (e.g. shooting, etc.) ranges
  • Unit placement: you can have three bases in each square "zone," as seen here:

(I've overlaid the grid lines as my board has a fairly faint grid.)

So if you want to reduce the grid, you'll need to reduce the base sizes and, in turn, probably go down in scale. Here's my recommendation on sizes from the current draft of the rules. The smallest grid I'd use is 2" or 5cm for 6 or 10mm figures.

Your question is a good one and one I may explicitly address in the rules. Thank you for asking!

Also, please note my 25-32mm sizes are a bit of a hopeful guess. Getting three mounted figures or a small canon on a 2-2.5" may be asking too much!

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2020, 10:59:42 PM »
Just wondering why you went for multiple figures on a base?

A couple reasons:

• I wanted to have the lowest base count I could reasonably get away while still having a variety of model type.
  • I wanted to avoid having a lot of different base sizes and different model counts on each base. (I've achieved with one exception: the terrain/scenary unit type called "Strongpoints," which uses a larger base.)
  • So the common base size became what I could get a small cannon or horse-drawn cart on. That meant I needed to multi-base other types of figures to that size. At 15mm, that's 1.5" or 38/40mm.
  • I was impressed with the diorama-style bases seen in big base games like Baroque and Kings of War and was interested in emulated that with a skirmish sized game.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2020, 09:37:43 AM »
That's quite a jump! The grid is used in two chief ways:
  • Movement and action (e.g. shooting, etc.) ranges
  • Unit placement: you can have three bases in each square "zone," as seen here:

(I've overlaid the grid lines as my board has a fairly faint grid.)

So if you want to reduce the grid, you'll need to reduce the base sizes and, in turn, probably go down in scale. Here's my recommendation on sizes from the current draft of the rules. The smallest grid I'd use is 2" or 5cm for 6 or 10mm figures.

Your question is a good one and one I may explicitly address in the rules. Thank you for asking!

Also, please note my 25-32mm sizes are a bit of a hopeful guess. Getting three mounted figures or a small canon on a 2-2.5" may be asking too much!

Thanks for the answer :), so I'll stick to the 4" grid. Another question - I'd like to playtest 15XX with a ruthenian highlander (primarily equiped with high quality fowling pieces and some pole arms) warband and the so called "harnicy" warband (arquebuse-equipped mercenaries hired by the county's representative to fight highlander bandits) - which unit types and basing should I consider for them?

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2021, 02:23:43 AM »
Thanks to all of you who sent me your contact info to playtest my rules.

I've emailed out links to the current playtest (and a Facebook playtest group, if you're on there).

Thanks to good ole COVID-19, my ability to playtest them with local gamers at local stores has been severely limited, so I'm looking forward to getting some feedback from others while we hunker down and ride out the pandemic.

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2021, 02:42:18 AM »
Thanks for the answer :), so I'll stick to the 4" grid. Another question - I'd like to playtest 15XX with a ruthenian highlander (primarily equiped with high quality fowling pieces and some pole arms) warband

Without giving away all the in-development rules just yet ;) , both of those concepts are totally do-able.

There is a Foot group with Pikes & Polearms as an option and a Shot group. The Shot group has three otions: heavy muskets, lighter arquebuses and calivers, and bows or crossbows. Both Foot and Shot more-or-less represent trained soldiers and each Group uses two bases (so six figures each). Depending on how you want to represent your Ruthenians, you could take a Group or two or Foot and the same of Shot.

OR, you could represent them as Rabble, which uses three bases (so nine figures for a Rabble Group).

Parties all have four Groups, so you could play around with those numbers to get what you like.

the so called "harnicy" warband (arquebuse-equipped mercenaries hired by the county's representative to fight highlander bandits)

This is probably a place where I would use the Shot Group again.

Parties have four Groups, but you have to use at least two different types of Groups. So you may want to pair the mercenaries with a Foot Group, Dogs, or one of the other Groups you see in the playtest rules that makes sense.

Also keep in mind that there are Party-level stats and qualities that will also help differentiate between the Ruthenian highlanders' Shot and the mercenaries' Shot if you choose to use both.

which... basing should I consider for them?

For 15mm, I'm using 1.5 inch (38-40mm) round bases for everything except for the "strongpoints" - terrain pieces you can select for your Party that grant various buffs. For those, I'm using a 2" round base (50mm).

That said, there is some flexibility in basing. I call that out in the rules.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2021, 09:38:45 PM »
Thank you for your answer :). I've read the draft, I am very impressed.

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
Re: 15mm Renaissance Skirmish Project - New Photos 26 Jan
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2021, 02:52:52 AM »
Most of my time on this project has been focused on refining and testing my rules, but I recently took some time to knock out a few pieces of terrain in a very quick, slap-dash way.

https://tabletop.willphillips.org/2021/01/21/small-15mm-terrain-update/

Few more pics on my blog.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Renaissance Skirmish Project - New Photos 26 Jan
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2021, 03:33:47 PM »
Very nice, I like the shrines.