Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Opposition sought for Mongols - info needed.  (Read 1636 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Opposition sought for Mongols - info needed.
« on: March 10, 2020, 05:44:27 PM »
I've just started prepping a Rapier miniatures 6mil Mongol army as Mongols have grabbed my interest.

Totally new period for me, not aided by the apparent lack of opposing armies in God's Own Scale. From my basic research so far I've a short list of potential enemies, in order of preference these are Indians, Chinese, Persians and Mameluks. I'd have to find proxies from various ranges to make any of those up, and this is where I'd like some of your collective wisdom please.

I'm looking for resources, pref. online as I'll source books later, which would firstly explain the make up of those armies and also have images of each troop type within those armies. Then I can compare them to the available ranges and see which ones are most viable.

Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Dervel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
Re: Opposition sought for Mongols - info needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
If you go to Meshwesh (free army list site for Triumph! Rules) if you type in Mongol, then pick the variety of Mongol you will get the make up of the army according to Triumph standards, and a list below of enemies and allies.

Might be useful, no pictures, but some description which can give you a place to start your google searches for additional info.

Mongol Conquest period for example:

http://meshwesh.wgcwar.com/armyList/5b3d49f6d821100014f209f0/explore#%2Fhome

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 03:51:57 AM »
Japanese, Russians, Hungarians, Turks, Tibettans.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 07:47:07 AM »
I it that your problem is in finding historically correct 6mm ranges to fight against?

although not my scale, as they say, I did manage to find the following that might be of use:

Baccus Saracens: Could be used as Mamluks?
https://www.baccus6mm.com/catalogue/Crusades/Saracens/

I think with a lot of 6mm mini's it's as much about how to paint them as to what they represent, withon reason of course :)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »
If you go to Meshwesh (free army list site for Triumph! Rules) if you type in Mongol, then pick the variety of Mongol you will get the make up of the army according to Triumph standards, and a list below of enemies and allies.

Might be useful, no pictures, but some description which can give you a place to start your google searches for additional info.

Mongol Conquest period for example:

http://meshwesh.wgcwar.com/armyList/5b3d49f6d821100014f209f0/explore#%2Fhome

That's very interesting I shall have a delve. Thanks.  8)

Japanese, Russians, Hungarians, Turks, Tibettans.

Sure, the problem isn't knowing who they historical fought it's more having a list of who I'd like to put up against them but knowing little about the armies on my list.  ;)

Is it that your problem is in finding historically correct 6mm ranges to fight against?

Yes in part, and like you suggest I can proxy within reason. The main problem is knowing little about the opposition I'm considering (Indians, Chinese, Persians and Mameluks). I know the ranges but not what might pass for any of those because I've no clue what they looked like.  ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 11:16:55 AM »

Yes in part, and like you suggest I can proxy within reason. The main problem is knowing little about the opposition I'm considering (Indians, Chinese, Persians and Mameluks). I know the ranges but not what might pass for any of those because I've no clue what they looked like.  ;)

Ah, I don't know the actual ranges Phil so I'm going to be of limited help, sorry  :)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »
It's not the ranges I'm looking for help with, it's the historical info on the armies...

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 11:36:38 AM »
Khwarizmians and Chinese, then Russians and Mamlukes

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »
Khwarizmians and Chinese, then Russians and Mamlukes

What Steve said but with the addition one each other as well, a lot. :)

There must have been some Turkic tribes among their enemies too.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 01:34:47 PM »
Chaps, you really should read what I'm asking about...  lol

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 01:46:26 PM »
When it comes to the Chinese in the time before they conquered china and Khublai Khan established the yuan Dynasty China was divided into 3 empires that as far as I know all fought the mongols, the Southern Song, the Jin and the Western Xia. You might be able to find more if you look for those specifically

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 05:22:28 PM »
The main problem is knowing little about the opposition I'm considering (Indians, Chinese, Persians and Mameluks). I know the ranges but not what might pass for any of those because I've no clue what they looked like.  ;)

Simplest option is to look at the well illustrated Baccus site (closer to Rapier size & style than H&R) and see what is available then google image search the armies you are interested in from 15mm collections (DBA etc).

eg: Early Hungarian (good opponent for Conquest period Mongols)
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=984&bih=627&ei=jRxpXqTGBMOLlwT704jQCQ&q=15mm+early+hungarian+army&oq=15mm+early+hungarian+army&gs_l=img.12...1930.8806..12063...0.0..0.161.2897.4j21......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0j0i8i30j0i24.cOGKkXebTmo&ved=0ahUKEwjkwJ7_9ZLoAhXDxYUKHfspApoQ4dUDCAU

Most of those could be proxied from the Baccus Crusade and Saracen units

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 05:31:41 PM »
Thanks robh, that's turning up good results already.  :D

Looks like Baccus Saracens would proxy the bulk of Delhi Sultanate troops. Yippee!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 05:34:05 PM by 6milPhil »