Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:57:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fitting 4ground windows - Advice  (Read 1017 times)

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
Fitting 4ground windows - Advice
« on: February 05, 2022, 12:45:29 PM »
So sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't !! Would anyone like to pass on any tips for fixing their acetate windows?

Maybe it's just a really fiddly job and it is what it is?

Btw I use super glue to affix to the mdf frames.
Thanks

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Fitting 4ground windows - Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 03:30:04 PM »
I have not used the ones from 4ground but I have used the same from other manufactures.  My two cents.  For attaching the acetate do not use superglue.  It can fog up the clear surface.  Use either PVA or the yellow wood glue as they dry clear.  Thin coat on the frame and along the edge.  Once set, run a thin bead along the edge and on slightly on top of the acetate.  This will hold it in place.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline parttimegamer

• Assistant
    • For the love of terrain!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 04:39:32 PM »
I don't know how you are affixing the acetate, but I would use a small (old) paintbrush and paint PVA onto the window frame, then grab the acetate using some tweezers and get one edge to make contact with the glue first, wiggle it a little so that it lines up, then carefully drop the other edge down.

Of course, this is done after "dry-fitting" the pieces together first to ensure that they are the size and shape etc
------------------
My interests are predominantly WWII, played in 28mm, and custom terrain-making.
Check out my blog at https://fortheloveofterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 05:38:03 PM »
Thanks both, it seems that pva instead of superglue may well make the difference. For a start it will buy me time for alignment.
I had stayed away from pva originally as I didn't think it would stick the acetate to the mdf.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 02:49:29 PM »
You still can superglue, but you need to cut the acetate pretty wide, to accomodate for the fogging.

I've also seen people use extra strips of acetate left and right from the window, glued top and bottom, to hold the actual window pane in place.

Also, when using PVA, make sure to pre-spread the glue on the window frames, and make sure you don't use too much, or it will bulge out on the front and while it may dry clear, it will still look... interesting, with bulbs of glass lining the window frames.

Another alternative is using clear sheets of polystyrene, which you can use polystyrene cement on. Again; watch out for fogging, but the first two tips I mentioned might help you out there as well...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Things from the Basement

• Bookworm
    • Things from the Basement
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 06:50:42 PM »
I'm using Aleene's Tacky Glue. It is similar to PVA glue, but not as fluid and stickier. I would not recommend using super glue, becaause the acetate might fog.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 01:05:38 AM »
I'm using Aleene's Tacky Glue. It is similar to PVA glue, but not as fluid and stickier. I would not recommend using super glue, becaause the acetate might fog.

The tacky glue is a modified PVA if I remember right, but the normal type of it isn't recommended for windows. There's the clear version that works for it, but the normal doesn't dry fully clear.

Also, with regard to superglue, you can still get a really good window result using it to attach acetate, then take some of the thicker gloss varnish and put it over the acetate inside the window if you want some of the older glass looks and it tends to eliminate the fogging if you wait a day or two after gluing the window in before adding the gloss to prevent the outgassing.

Offline londoncalling

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 09:59:19 PM »
Plenty of food for thought, suggestions much appreciated.

Now which is the easier option, these windows or that HYW heraldry waiting on me..... arghhhh