Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:08:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Work in progress Apocalypse Now.  (Read 6437 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Work in progress Apocalypse Now.
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2020, 11:39:47 AM »
Asking why we have spent good money on our toys is a road that leads to madness.

Those are the wisest words I've heard about our hobby in ages!  :D

@Paul, is that a wrecked Corgi? I heard you can find them incomplete from time to time on eBay. I've never been so lucky.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2020, 12:26:06 PM »
You can’t have enough Hueys

:)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2020, 12:29:50 PM »
Amen!

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2020, 09:03:49 AM »
can I please ask this of you who have them - is there room/access to place pilot figures in the Corgi die-casts models (for the models with open side doors)?
If not, I may go down the plastic kit option..

Many thanks
Simon.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2020, 09:23:31 AM »
I have not tried as we are in the process of sculpting pilots so I can. However door gunners are easily fitted. Also being sculpted.

Looking at the Corgi it should/ may be possible to do by pushing it through the crew compartment although it may need some messing with the figures. Sorry not to give a complete answer but I am awaiting the experiment.  ;)

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »
Hi Paul - thanks for the answer - it would be great if they can be made to fit - perhaps a 2 part figure, cut at the waist maybe a solution?
Glue in legs and then attach body?
I'll leave it to you and Paul to figure out.
All the best
Simon

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2020, 12:20:32 PM »

One way may be to cut the back of the seat off. Place the figure. re glue seat.

As soon as I am successful I will let you know  ;) If I fail I may never tell anyone Muhahahahaha  :P

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2020, 02:15:06 PM »
Nice to hear that the chopper crew is sculpted at the moment. got myself two loaches who both need a Pilot and a gunner and my slicks still wait for their gunners.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2020, 02:44:06 AM »
That is a lovely group of choppers and I did notice a bit of variety in the collection but if you are going for the Apocalypse Now Ride of the Valkyries scene you need even more variety because there was a rather eclectic collection of choppers used in that sequence - not close to all were hueys.  Though I'm betting that was more about budget and availability for the film maker than what the reality might have been in The Nam.

Served in '76 with sailor who was involved in the evacuation of Saigon on board the same ship we were on - quite a tale he told, and turned as white as the background on my screen as he told it.  Chopper after chopper tried landing on the helicopter deck on the fantail (it was a missile frigate) and sometimes one landed right on top of another and all the crew could do was push both into the sea because another chopper was coming in to land - all of them running out of fuel, some ditching in the ocean.  Plus they were on fire and fire is the mortal enemy of a ship, even a ship made out of metal.  In the last year or two saw part of a documentary talking about this finally.  For decades my only source of knowledge was the first hand account.  Pretty horrific.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2020, 04:23:26 AM »
There's extensive footage of Op Frequent Wind, the evacuation of Saigon and the flight of  RVNAF aircraft out to the US carriers. Some pretty amazing scenes, one chopper setting down on the fantail of a destroyer, incredibly brave chaps jusmping from choppers prior to ditching etc. One of the more amazing incidents  was a VNAF pilot flying his family out on an O-1 Bird Dog and landing on a carrier deck. Check out Youtube.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo