Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A New Space Dwarf Army.  (Read 35530 times)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: A New Space Dwarf Army.
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2022, 05:06:55 PM »
Cool. The DJ? Looking forward to seeing that :)

Cheers :) ... Here's the DJ :) :

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2022, 08:00:43 PM »
The last batch, all packed up, ready to be sent for casting :) :

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2022, 04:20:58 AM »
He looks cool. Nice work!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2022, 08:57:54 AM »

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2022, 06:24:20 PM »
The whole range :) :

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2022, 06:46:20 PM »
WoW! Fantastic figures! Brilliant sculpting! All I need is another genre!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2022, 04:49:59 PM »
Some updates... now that the last batch have been cast up and I have received some resin copies:

A DJ that I painted for my friend (He's also a DJ called Bobby Bounce :) ):

A Beer Seer that will be joining my army command squad:

A new sculpt; an Engineseer proxy:

and a bit of fun with a Squat superhero... Thor (sculpted with a mix of Marvel and Norse Mythology):

I'm currently painting a Wine Witch and DJ to add to my army :) ... I'll post pix of those when I have finished :) .

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2022, 07:44:14 PM »
It's been a while since I dropped by one of threads Inso, but this caught my eye:
The whole range :) :

I mean, wow, what an astonishing sculpting output - very well done indeed sir!  8)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2022, 10:51:47 AM »
Cheers Major_Gilbear :) , I appreciate it :) .

That's about 2 years of work and I'm very proud of the fact that I have sculpted an entire range of miniatures (it was one of the very few items on my bucket list :) ).

I am still working with Chris, over at Macrocosm Miniatures so there is no reason that the range won't expand over time :) .

Once I have finished a pair of Servitors to go with the Engineseer, I am planning to sculpt a pair of advisors (air-force and artillery officers)... after that, I'm not sure :) ... maybe a bagpiper?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2022, 02:36:27 PM »
What about some of the more auxiliary style units, like a stand-in for a Thudd Gun or a Mole Mortar, plus some junior Tech Seers and utility Servitors to crew them? Or some powered armour suits? :)

Online sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2022, 02:53:12 PM »
These do look great. Good Proxies for Mantic Deadzone.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2022, 04:44:31 PM »
Once I have finished a pair of Servitors to go with the Engineseer, I am planning to sculpt a pair of advisors (air-force and artillery officers)... after that, I'm not sure :) ... maybe a bagpiper?

I bought the GW Commerative Ork singer figure yesterday, and they had a display in the shop with a band from various figures in their range. It was very well done, and now has me scouring my collection for figures with musical instruments ;D A dwarf bagpiper would be a welcome addition (as is the DJ earlier in the thread)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2022, 08:25:29 PM »
What about some of the more auxiliary style units, like a stand-in for a Thudd Gun or a Mole Mortar, plus some junior Tech Seers and utility Servitors to crew them? Or some powered armour suits? :)

This army has been based on the Astra Militarum codex, rather than the old Squat lists so thudd guns, mole mortars and power armour aren't covered. I'm working on servitors to go with the Engineseer and also a couple of advisors... but they are also in line with the Astra Militarum codex. I have had calls for power/exo armour and it may happen but it will be something that will take a lot of planning so that I get consistency across the units... so I'll need to get armour plates and weapons cast up and then mount them to an armature and fill in the gaps... quite involved...

@ zemjw - I've converted a one off bag-piper for a friend and liked it so much that a Squat bag-piper is very much on the cards, when I can fit him in :) .

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2022, 11:01:52 AM »
Well, there are some units from the Guard Codex that have appeared and disappeared over the years:

# Stormtroopers/Scions/Kasrkin
# Wyrdvayne/Sanctioned Psykers squad
# Ogryn
# Ratlings
# Special Weapons Squads (including options with Demo charges and sniper rifles not generally available in other units)
# Priests
# Commissars
# Rough Riders (could be on bikes...?)
# Penal troopers
# Conscripts/Whiteshields and grizzled veteran squads

And then weapons like the mortar or grenade launcher which are common in Guard armies but never seen in other Imperial armies.

Finally, from much earlier eras, you also have Beastmen, Assault troops (with 2 Laspistols and jump packs), and support weapons like the Mole Mortar, Rapier, Thudd Gun, or the Tarantula. Plus, you know, vehicles! ;)

I think the options highlighted in maroon could all be reasonably fitted into the Space Dwarfs without seeming out of place in relation to the old GW Squats range(s). The new Guard Codex also has some new support weapons that look to be mortars/artillery/AT guns, so if you were to do Mole Mortars, Thudds, etc, I think they'd still be usable.

...Anyway, I don't mean to seem as if I'm dictating anything here, I'm just making suggestions! :)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2022, 04:39:40 PM »
Well, there are some units from the Guard Codex that have appeared and disappeared over the years:

# Stormtroopers/Scions/Kasrkin
# Wyrdvayne/Sanctioned Psykers squad
# Ogryn
# Ratlings
# Special Weapons Squads (including options with Demo charges and sniper rifles not generally available in other units)
# Priests
# Commissars
# Rough Riders (could be on bikes...?)
# Penal troopers
# Conscripts/Whiteshields and grizzled veteran squads

And then weapons like the mortar or grenade launcher which are common in Guard armies but never seen in other Imperial armies.

Finally, from much earlier eras, you also have Beastmen, Assault troops (with 2 Laspistols and jump packs), and support weapons like the Mole Mortar, Rapier, Thudd Gun, or the Tarantula. Plus, you know, vehicles! ;)

I think the options highlighted in maroon could all be reasonably fitted into the Space Dwarfs without seeming out of place in relation to the old GW Squats range(s). The new Guard Codex also has some new support weapons that look to be mortars/artillery/AT guns, so if you were to do Mole Mortars, Thudds, etc, I think they'd still be usable.

...Anyway, I don't mean to seem as if I'm dictating anything here, I'm just making suggestions! :)

It's great to hear suggestions and I never feel "dictated to"... cheers for taking an interest.

Now to sort some answers:
+ Scions/Kasrkin/Stormtroopers are POSSIBLY a future project... it depends on getting a few bits of armour cast up and also coming up with a decent helmet design (the helmet design is ESSENTIAL to getting the project right).

+ I have a sniper rifle already and a demo-charge isn't too much of a stretch so a special weapon squad isn't out of the question.

+ Priests are a bit awkward due to the weapon options... but I've sculpted Berserkers before so they may be a good option to proxy as Priests... so that isn't off the table.

+ Rough Riders... probably not. The mounts (in whatever form they take) would be a struggle for me.

So... pretty much everything is a possibility apart from Rough Riders :) .

In the interim, I have just finished painting the Wine Witch (Proxy Primaris Psyker):

Here are the Wine Witch and Beer Seer together :) :

As usual, there is more to come :) ...