Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:03:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689290
  • Total Topics: 118270
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2020: Lets get ready to ruuummble!  (Read 28858 times)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: BSC2020: Lets get ready to ruuummble!
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »
Cool. I'll remember that til next BSC. There are some really handy and easy to use free online tools which we could link to in the rules.
Camera set ups would be good too,if only for interest sake. I've been meaning to photograph my rusticated system,it's a bit laughable really :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 08:39:33 AM »
Camera set ups would be good too,if only for interest sake. I've been meaning to photograph my rusticated system,it's a bit laughable really :)

I think we should have a board for miniature photography. It's a quite integrated part of what we do here on LAF.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2020, 08:45:06 AM »
I have received replacement photographs from...
  • Blackwolf
  • ichwillauch
  • Codsticker
  • Daeothar
  • Lord_Odo

...in preparation for Round 2. I will also try to shoot my build from some new angles, should I win my match.

Let me stress that there is absolutely no need to replace your photos, I  have allowed it for those of you who were not completely satisfied with your first effort. I also hope it is a way to keep interest up during this 20 day voting phase of the BSC2020.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:51:50 PM by Hammers »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2020, 09:33:42 AM »
I think we should have a board for miniature photography. It's a quite integrated part of what we do here on LAF.

That would be very helpful.

I own a (rather old, but quite functional) digital camera with a good macro function my girlfriend at the time gifted me for the purpose of taking miniature pictures. I know I got some pretty good results back then, but when I dusted it off to take my entry pictures, I realized how much I had forgotten.

I could not get it to focus, there was not enough light, etc. So I ended up resorting to my phone camera, which instantly yielded better results. But I know that if I get the camera to behave as it should, it would deliver superior pictures.

So at least a how-to, covering camera en lighting settings would be incredibly useful!

But I could also see use in threads covering particularly good pictures, with a breakdown by the poster/owner of the camera used, its settings, the set-up, the lights, and the editing process (which programs, functions used, etc).

Maybe a particularly well presented picture could be nominated for a break-down thread (if the owner would be so inclined)? Because I think a lot could be learned from looking at how people better at this are going about the whole process... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
I could not get it to focus, there was not enough light, etc. So I ended up resorting to my phone camera, which instantly yielded better results. But I know that if I get the camera to behave as it should, it would deliver superior pictures.

I have shot all my progress photos and my final entry with my iPhone. You have less control but you get quick, clear pictures. I did all the editing (crop, size, sharpness, exposure, saturation etc.) in pixlr, a free online photo service.  It  is a bit late for this competition but I'd be happy to do a tutorial.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:38:49 AM by Hammers »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2020, 12:33:52 PM »
Sounds nice, but I am managing with my phone also;  it delivers just fine with default settings.

But I would like to eventually really work that dedicated camera to get even better results. I mean; I grasp the basics of shutterspeeds, focuspoints, etc, but to have them laid out specifically for miniature photography, with examples, would be a great help.

And I'm guessing I'm not alone in that.

Besides, some nice tricks of the trade when it comes to presenting the subject matter could be very cool indeed. I got my inspiration for the 2nd round picture(s) from a short video on toy photography on the Tested channel...

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »

That would be great! :) There are some members on here (I think of Breazer, Blasphemia Blackwood and Captain Blood for instance) who are really good at taking pictures. I think there's so much to learn from them, if they would be willing to teach some basics.

I think the board would fit right in [Other stuff] in between >Workbench and >General Wargames and Hobby Discussion
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
That would be great! :) There are some members on here (I think of Breazer, Blasphemia Blackwood and Captain Blood for instance) who are really good at taking pictures. I think there's so much to learn from them, if they would be willing to teach some basics.

I think the board would fit right in [Other stuff] in between >Workbench and >General Wargames and Hobby Discussion

I am currently discussing something like that with the Admins and  Moderators. Stay tuned.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 07:00:37 AM »
Here is my set-up, sans the remote I use,don't laugh. :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 07:25:26 AM »
Who's laughing? If it works, it works. I seem to recall that you are colour blind? If that is so, do you get any help with the image editing. (Your shots are  great, I am just curious).

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 08:05:09 AM »
Correct  :) Colour blind, occasionally  I ask my wife just to check the colours,the mood lol is all mine. More often than not,I ask her when I’m painting rather than doing scenery,and she’s biased  ;) I know my shots are often too dark,I guess it’s what I like.
And thanks :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
Re: BSC2020: Lets get ready to ruuummble! Round 2 ***DONNNNGGGG!***
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2020, 11:31:53 AM »
The champions of BSC202o are pared in cages and have bared their calloused fist! Place you bets, good people of LAF, as a rain of flock, tufts and coffee stirrers comes flying.

You have five days from now to pick your favourites among eight builders remaining in Round 2.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 10:26:29 PM »
Sent my round 3 last night, Oz time :)
Good luck everyone  :)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2020, 04:23:08 AM »
I sent mine in as well... I think. :?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2020, 07:02:25 AM »
I sent mine in as well... I think. :?

Yes, I have received replacements from the lot of you. :-) Got stuck helping my dear old mother setting up an online scrabble account last night, remotely...  ::) I'll kick off round 3 tonight.