Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:58:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Planning for quarantine  (Read 12561 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Planning for quarantine
« on: March 13, 2020, 05:19:23 PM »
Well, it looks like we are about to be quarantined. Businesses have been ordered to close doors and send the people home. It sucks, but it is the only way to stop the pandemic. Or so they say.

Anyway, as I can do nothing else but comply (besides, it is only logical) I will take advantage of the time off and try to move forward my painting backlog.

My plan is to concentrate in two different projects: The 45 and AWI. If the quarantine extend for 15 days, as foresee, I think that I will finish at least one Lowlander battalion and two units of British regulars (for Musket and Tomahawks). With any luck the shipment from North Star will arrive safely, although it is difficult to say what will happen. Maybe parcels will be hold up in the Postal Offices until the quarantine ends. If not, I will plan to paint the stuff sent with the shipment: British regulars (8 models) Highland Light Infantry (6 models) and French Canadian Militia (12 models).

We'll see how it goes.

Truth be told I am a little bit scared. Not as much for fear to the disease (I am not at any particular risk, truth be told; nor do my children) but for the economic effects. I have a little shop and I fear it won't survive the pandemic.  :'(

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Planning for quarantine
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 06:15:20 PM »
Good luck, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way.  The economic toll is going to far outweigh an loss of life.  Hope you can find a way through.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Littlearmies

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 06:43:27 PM »
Well, it looks like we are about to be quarantined. Businesses have been ordered to close doors and send the people home. It sucks, but it is the only way to stop the pandemic. Or so they say.

Truth be told I am a little bit scared. Not as much for fear to the disease (I am not at any particular risk, truth be told; nor do my children) but for the economic effects. I have a little shop and I fear it won't survive the pandemic.  :'(

Where are you located?

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 08:19:36 PM »

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 08:39:40 PM »
Same here,

at least the government has ordered mail and delivery service to work, as the shipment of goods. Still there is a lot of fear in the air. We hope neither lives nor economy will be destroyed. Anyway I stocked on paints, I have plenty of lead and plastic, two wargames on the design bench, a book to finish, a couple of articles, and two issues of S&T are on my way, plus some books and some H&R tanks, and Aventine minis. Only negative spot is that three of the Aventines are for a friend in Tokyo and I will not be able to post them soon... trip to the post office is out of question and also unlawful.

By the way in Italy quarantine is in effect until April 3.

On the other hand I e-spoke with friends in China, and they cope with it longer than us, but they are slowly recovering.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 08:43:32 PM »
Good luck to you, and everyone else.

It is scary, and a) having a good imagination and b) having read/watched/played far too much post-apocalypse stuff does not help.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 08:45:52 PM »
Same here,

at least the government has ordered mail and delivery service to work, as the shipment of goods. Still there is a lot of fear in the air. We hope neither lives nor economy will be destroyed. Anyway I stocked on paints, I have plenty of lead and plastic, two wargames on the design bench, a book to finish, a couple of articles, and two issues of S&T are on my way, plus some books and some H&R tanks, and Aventine minis. Only negative spot is that three of the Aventines are for a friend in Tokyo and I will not be able to post them soon... trip to the post office is out of question and also unlawful.

By the way in Italy quarantine is in effect until April 3.

On the other hand I e-spoke with friends in China, and they cope with it longer than us, but they are slowly recovering.

Let's hope our countries bounce back from this crisis. I am in a very pesimist mood today, though. I didn't think I was going to take it so hard. And yet, I understand completely the measures.

At least, like you, I am well provided of paint, undercoat and minis! And also a couple of boardgames that I was wanting to try since February but didn't get the opportunity.

Be safe, my friend

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 08:46:42 PM »
Good luck to you, and everyone else.

It is scary, and a) having a good imagination and b) having read/watched/played far too much post-apocalypse stuff does not help.

Thanks! Good luck to you too.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 03:35:12 AM »
Its at times like these that you discover you're down to one pot of black paint, and a single bottle of glue.  :'(

Oh damn, there's only a few millimeters of brown ink left in that pot and I have a whole load of tanks to paint!

...Plenty of cans of beans in the food cupboard at least. Maybe that can work as a substitute. ::)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:36:54 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 08:55:30 AM »
...Plenty of cans of beans in the food cupboard at least. Maybe that can work as a substitute. ::)
We look forward to seeing the results.

I did not get a chance to stock up on model supplies, having been off sick (different symptoms) for a week (and I am not venturing out until I am sure that an inopportune cough will not invoke pitchforks and torches).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:22:29 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »
I'm getting a bit more time at the painting desk to be honest, so every cloud and all that.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 04:15:35 PM »
Thanks! Good luck to you too.
Good luck with your health and finances.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
Best of luck Antonio.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 08:59:50 AM »
Public life is shutting down in Germany too, but without quarantine.

Last week other people were buying toilette paper, I went to my hobby store buying primer and some pots of black and wash. I'm not afraid dying in bathroom without toilette paper, but getting boored without paint for my miniatures.  lol

Good luck to all of you! Italy and Spain we are with you!
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 09:05:25 AM »
In the UK our lockdown is going to come later, which makes me think the UK Government calculates on a prolonged one, 12 weeks or more. We are all in new territory here, nobody really knows which strategy will work best, we can only trust our governments and follow instructions.