Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:50:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Planning for quarantine  (Read 12565 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Planning for quarantine
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
The wisdom and talent on show at LAF is always a great source of inspiration to me and will help a lot with the isolation!

Very well put Sir Theo!

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 01:40:32 AM »
I’m a teacher who is now delivering the curriculum through google classrooms.  It feels very scary and very strange.  I am building quite a lot of terrain in anticipation.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 04:19:00 PM »
However...... who would have thought our partially self isolating hobby (it's social too but I'm trying to block that for now!  :D ) would have slotted so perfectly into place? By the time we come out of this I expect to have done a serious amount of painting!  8)
That's right! If any of us come of this without a fully painted army it will be a failure of the community! :-[ ;D lol

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »
For me, things are actually going in the opposite direction. I work outdoors, and can do so with minimum contact with other people. And it's a busy time of year for me, meaning I'll be working 7 days a week at least for the next month.

Sounds bad to say it, but I'd kind of look forward to being shut away for a week to really get stuck into my current painting project....

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2020, 06:12:51 AM »
That's right! If any of us come of this without a fully painted army it will be a failure of the community! :-[ ;D lol

Oh, come on!  Procrastination is a perfectly good alternative to actual painting.  Bloody hoity toity painting b@$&@*%

Odd weekend here.  Had my 50th birthday.  Very reduced party (still no major restrictions on private gatherings.............yet) with a surprise visit home from my daughters.  Younger daughter is returning to university tonight just to pack up her room then return home tomorrow.
Despite supposedly having time off I have spent a large part of the day planning work and making contingency plans. 

On the good side of things, my old Napoleonics gaming friend said he was keen to try some fantasy gaming so I have a reason to get moving with my elves and orcs.  Might even need some stunties.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2020, 11:54:31 PM »
In the short term nothing will change for me. I'm working from home but essentially this has been done so that I am kept away from the kids home in case I am needed to go in and cover shifts rather than my normal managerial role. So I'm the reserve line as such.

Trying to get them food and essentials as basic as loo roll has been a challenge to say the least. They are all meant to be buying and making their own food (16-18 year olds) but they are struggling as much as anyone else right now.

I'm hopeful for things post the pandemic but I can't go into that too much as it may start to bump into forum rules. Suffice to say that maybe it will wake people up a little bit to their communities again, both locally, nationally and perhaps even internationally.

I hope you all stay safe and ride this one out well, possibly coming out the other side with more miniatures painted, terrain built and dice rolled.  :)
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Davout

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 12:07:57 AM »
I'm a teacher and coach in the States. We've been sent home and all classes an athletics have been canceled. We've switched to online instruction but really what that means is that I've gone from working like a crazy person to just doing a couple hours a day.

Both my kids are home for the duration but my partner is still heading into work.

I'm chewing through the pile. It's nice to get to paint more but I worry about my students. My seniors had 9 weeks left before graduation but all of that is up in the air now.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 07:53:27 AM »
I'm hopeful for things post the pandemic but I can't go into that too much as it may start to bump into forum rules. Suffice to say that maybe it will wake people up a little bit to their communities again, both locally, nationally and perhaps even internationally.

I do hope you're right. I'm more cynical, just based on the behaviour of some members of society presently the but I can certainly see the value in what you are saying and indeed, hoping for  8)

Community matters as LAF proves emphatically.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 03:44:27 AM »
Well I’m still at work,out in the country so relatively safe; however I’m merrily downloading my favourite things: Wyrms Footnote,Pendragon,and reading ancient copies of White Dwarf magazine,the first hundred issues or so. Such brilliant stuff :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 07:06:08 AM »
I am autistic and usually spend much of the day alone while the kids are at school; even a trip out to the shops can be mentally exhausting. So my mental capacity for hobby time is rapidly dwindling...once the kids are in bed it seems to be taking me at least an hour to settle down and chill enough to do anything, if at all.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 07:22:25 AM »
Last night was normally club night. Instead we managed to get three of us online for a video chat via Zoom. That worked quite well actually. We are going to try one of us hosting a game while other players video link in.

The other option we're going to try is a game using Table Top Simulator on Steam. This isn't something Ive done before but one of the other members has so he's setting that up.

Will keep everyone posted.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 07:36:09 AM »
It's have been eight days since the quarantine was declared in Spain. I am mentally exhausted. Not by being confined, that is the lesser of my worries, but for the uncertainty about the economy. I know some people will think I am selfish by being worried for my business in the middle of a pandemic, but the truth is that I am rapidly becoming broke. I have loans that I won't be able to pay -my partner and I were planning on sales to meet our payments-; and those loans were taken using our income and house (my business partner's, as I have no property) as collateral. We already default in March, and April will default too. One of the worst things is that in one of the loans we were five months shy of paying it in full. I can't sleep if I don't take sleeping pills...

The worst part is the impotence. I don't know what to do to make the business viable. I try to work through our website, but sales are stagnated. People fear for their jobs, their income, their future. They are not predisposed to spend money on such luxury items like action figures and toys.

I haven't felt so mentally exhausted since my wife died eleven years ago.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 07:51:45 AM »
I feel for you, and for the thousands of other small businesses gasping for breath everywhere. Here's hoping creditors are big enough to allow some extra time!
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 08:02:58 AM »
Sorry to hear that Antonio, being worried for you finances isn't selfish we all have to eat. I hope your sales pic up soon but I guess there will be a lot of financial uncertainty for a while.

My wife lost her job at the start of the year after her boss just decided he didn't want to run a magazine anymore and closed the company; due to the difficulties from my autism I have not worked for a while and am currently a house husband. We have finally had most of her redundancy but we still can't apply for the rest yet from the government. The recent problems have pretty much stalled her job hunt though she is having a phone interview later. If she is successful I doubt she'll be able to start till everythign has settled.

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 01:23:34 PM »
We are all in this together now, Buckingham Palace has been bombed....
Prince Charles has got the plague.

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"