Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:22:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Planning for quarantine  (Read 12569 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Planning for quarantine
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2020, 03:40:07 PM »
It’s good to hear how everyone is doing...yes, this is a wargaming forum, but we are all kindred spirits, and I count many of those I’ve met through LAF as good mates.

:)

From a gaming perspective I haven’t made any progress yet on the substantial number of primed/based figures on my painting table...not really a lack of mojo, but rather work has been pretty full-on, even though working from home...mentally tiring more than anything, so at the end of the day I’m too knackered to get much done.

Hoping to get something painted this afternoon...or even just add some more based/primed to the paint queue.

Picked up some Black Tree Design medievals...despite their reputation for tardiness the arrived 4 days after ordering.

Also got my hands on some Claymore Castings...had been holding off on my first order, waiting for a pack to come back into stock - Claymore emailed me to say they’d had fresh castings, and despite being a bit short on hobby funds I put an order in as excellent customer service should always be rewarded....must say I’m very impressed, dynamic poses, really crisp castings, no flash/mould lines. One minor niggle is having to drill the hands to hold spears but wasn’t too much of a chore.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2020, 04:03:49 PM »
These are unprecedented time.

I am not on Facebook, or twitter or any of such platforms. Most of my online socializing is this forum. I am deeply concerned not only for the physical and economic well-being of everyone but also for the future of our shared hobby that brings so much joy into our lives.

It has been helpful to me to read in this thread that others are struggling to find the motivation to create their art whilst this crisis unfolds despite having time available. I have gotten very little done of late. It is my blog and this forum that helps motivate me to get done what I do. And I feel less.... alone... reading others feel the same.

I grasp the desire to avoid sensitive topics to prevent friction on the forum but I would ask that folks consider being allowed to virtually reach out to each other in a time we are increasingly isolated physically.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2020, 10:11:30 PM »
Well, what can I say?

I would say that it's of the utmost importance that we all come together as much as possible and perhaps allow things to be said on this thread that are not strictly wargaming related as there will obviously be a lot of us who have very elevated emotions and high anxiety levels whilst we all try to deal with this tragedy. (No political stuff!)

I've just found out that my brother and his wife have the virus but are at home and thus far seem to be managing as best as they can. They're both in North London so are effectively in a hot spot as far as the UK goes. This is obviously very worrying.

To be honest, before this crisis hit I was probably at the most productive I've been hobby wise for a decade. The whole thing has taken the wind out of my sails. I've found it difficult to turn my mind towards wargaming let alone painting, which is my 'first love'. This general apathy/lethargy is probably compounded by the realisation that having to self isolate because of an underlying serious health condition might very well mean that I have to continue to self isolate after everyone else return to normality (in whatever shape that may be) as the virus is unlikely to disappear and there will certainly be more outbreaks as the virus becomes endemic.

I'm going to force myself into action tomorrow! I've written a list out of what I'd like to achieve without being too tough on myself.

It's at moments like this that one becomes very thankful for LAF. One of the few fora left with a real sense of community.

Everyone stay as safe as possible.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2020, 11:56:06 PM »
To be honest, before this crisis hit I was probably at the most productive I've been hobby wise for a decade. The whole thing has taken the wind out of my sails. I've found it difficult to turn my mind towards wargaming let alone painting, which is my 'first love'. This general apathy/lethargy is probably compounded by the realisation that having to self isolate because of an underlying serious health condition might very well mean that I have to continue to self isolate after everyone else return to normality (in whatever shape that may be) as the virus is unlikely to disappear and there will certainly be more outbreaks as the virus becomes endemic.

I'm going to force myself into action tomorrow! I've written a list out of what I'd like to achieve without being too tough on myself.

It's at moments like this that one becomes very thankful for LAF. One of the few fora left with a real sense of community.

Everyone stay as safe as possible.

To me is the opposite. The only moments when I really can take my mind off is while I am painting. I put some music and paint, and for a few hours I don't think in anything else but the next brushstroke and the music. Today I listened a beautiful version of Sostakovich's 7th Simphony, Leningrad. I thought it was appropriate: music composed during the war, while the city was still under siege, celebrating the courage and will to resist of the defenders.  In the painting table a Compagnie de la Marine soldier, former Conquest Miniatures, now under Warlord Games. It was the last I needed to finish one unit of French Marines, and also the last I needed to finished my French-Indian force for Muskets & Tomahawks: 36 Natives and 24 French. I will add more stuff in the future, particularly canoes, but now is the turn of the Anglo-Americans. I have them on track (12 regulars and 20 Provincials already painted) but I need some Lights, Rangers and a few regulars more. Then, with any luck, I will play a game with my eldest son.

For me, the LAF is a place where I can stay connected with the rest of the wargaming community. Everything is so unreal right now, that places like LAF are anchors of sanity, if you know what I mean.

Stay safe all of you.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2020, 12:16:43 AM »
I am able to paint a little and read during this time for enjoyment. This last week I was supposed to be on vacation someplace really warm but that was more of a loss for my poor wife than me.  I'm taking my meds but skipping therapy which is probably not a good long term choice but while my wife is not leaving the house to work I will keep the isolation.   Luckily my condition is not life threatening - just an annoying  pain in the neck/spine.  My close gaming buddy is not quite so good so he is planning on maintaining isolation for awhile.  Hopefully our scientific communities come up with viable and sustainable treatments shortly.  Best of luck to you in your situation Atheling.

Our cleaning lady isn't coming at the moment (her father is in very poor health) but we will continue to keep her employed while we are.   From her texts most of her of her other customers are like minded luckily.  I have a few local small businesses (restaurants, groceries and breweries) that I can support via drop off/pick up safely but I do worry that some of my favorite shops that had to close won't be able to return. 

Good luck to everyone.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2020, 12:50:00 PM »
I'd be careful with getting our hopes up until the numbers themselves have fallen, whether through isolation, immunisation or something else - especially with such a small sample size who can say whether  we hear any more of it in a week's time? Though I'll say no more since I'm tiptoeing the bounds of what is on-topic.

In the current climate I'm lucky enough to still be able to order figures - Eureka's Renaissance civilians should do nicely. Lots of bright colours to keep me entertained. I look forward to adding my efforts to the painting group. :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2020, 02:01:47 PM »
New York began using Hydroxychloroquine on Tuesday. By this Monday we should have a lot more data on the Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin drug combo treatment.

As for miniatures, I have refrained from buying stuff that needs to be shipped until after this pandemic has played out. But it is a good list, so there are going to be some happy people who get my business.

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2020, 02:33:47 PM »
"Picked up some Black Tree Design medievals...despite their reputation for tardiness the arrived 4 days after ordering."

Hmm. They're not actually completely dead yet then -- I've filed a paypal claim for December's order. Normally I can get their attention before we reach that sort of point. This time even paypal can't get responses.

I'd rather have the figures though, tbh...

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2020, 07:25:30 PM »
Didn't paint a thing for the last 8 days ... only home office, binge viewing and sleeping  :(
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »
Didn't paint a thing for the last 8 days ... only home office, binge viewing and sleeping  :(

I'm stuck in that same rut..... gonna stay up late tonight and get a start on some Anglo Danes.... hopefully get the juices flowing again

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2020, 09:13:05 PM »
I got painted a few Provincials for the French-Indian War and some Lowlanders for my 1745 project.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2020, 09:24:12 PM »
I finished some terrain pieces, and have been plugging away at a Spanish-inspired Dwarf army (conquistadwarves!).

As a business that serves essential businesses, I am stuck still working, so not as much painting.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2020, 09:31:20 PM »
There is a light at the end of the tunnel folks:

Not unless you get it from a reputable source. That site is for tech startup news and it seems filled with spammy BS posts about Covid cures

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2020, 02:04:00 AM »
Not unless you get it from a reputable source. That site is for tech startup news and it seems filled with spammy BS posts about Covid cures

The French study has been reported by various sources including cable news. The main objection is that it is limited in scope and therefore not statistically significant.

As I said, there is a much larger study being conducted in New York and we should soon know its results.

I am hopeful as there has been tons of anecdotal reporting concerning the treatment of the virus with Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin. Whether it pans out or not, I believe they will find an effective treatment.

Having a positive attitude towards life, if nothing else, allows one to have a good nights sleep.

Minis wise, I have started my Warlord Games Black Seas HMS Victory. Got at least 4 hours of work on her today!