Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:23:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vietnam, or an exercise in disciplined collecting.... first building pic  (Read 4556 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
To date I never felt the all-to-familiar urge to start a new project as far as the Vietnam war is concerned.
All that changed after I saw Full Metal Jacket on Netflix.
After taking a peek at a few threads on Vietnam here, and eyeing the available models, I settled for Empress Miniatures' 28mm models.

The disciplined bit of the exercise is in showing restraint, and instead of buying a few platoons worth of troops from both sides I limited myself to just 6 models. When these are painted, I'll move to the next set.

Seeing this is all because of Kubrik's film, the 6 I chose are the models in the range which represent some of the characters in the film.

As those guys badly were calling for heavy fire support which they never got in the last part of the film, I also bought an Ontos, which, with its presence on the Empress site, collapsed all semblance of discipline. Darn.

It had to be the Ontos - I had a love-hate relationship with models of this since when I had a couple of the 1970s vintage (I think) old soft plastic Atlantic models (an Italian range). The gun barrels would irritatingly keep falling off, but I had liked the idea of a small tank with all those gun barrels when I was that much younger, although I was a bit doubtful whether the thing really existed!
Seems little has changed, other than my 'lack of faith'.

As for setting the scene - 2' x 2' probably, so the Ontos would only be able to shoot OFF the board  ;D  - not to worry as I am more interested in the thing hanging around as an objective, scenery or for damaging the opposition's morale.
There's a rather large aquarium Buddha I might include as scenery, and I need to invest in palms.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:55:37 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Vietnam, or an exercise in disciplined collecting....?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 08:47:34 AM »
I have also been bitten by Vietnam, with the acquisition of a big bag of the old Chiltern figures on a Bring and Buy at Hammerhead. As these will not fit with anything else out there, I can also pretend that I am disciplined because I am now immune to all the other Vietnam 28mm figures .
I do now need a Huey though  :-[
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 08:53:16 AM »
Vanvlak, did you mean Empress and not Victoria Miniatures? I couldn't find any Vietnam figs on that site.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 10:50:22 AM »
Disciplined? Once you start buying Empress models there is no way back..... lol lol lol lol
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 11:59:57 AM »
Vanvlak, did you mean Empress and not Victoria Miniatures? I couldn't find any Vietnam figs on that site.
#
Yep! Mistake will be corrected!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 12:00:21 PM »
Disciplined? Once you start buying Empress models there is no way back..... lol lol lol lol
Oh dear.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 12:01:30 PM »
I have also been bitten by Vietnam, with the acquisition of a big bag of the old Chiltern figures on a Bring and Buy at Hammerhead. As these will not fit with anything else out there, I can also pretend that I am disciplined because I am now immune to all the other Vietnam 28mm figures .
I do now need a Huey though  :-[
Huey... just one?  >:D

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 12:13:27 PM »
Huey... just one?  >:D

I have disciplined myself to just buy one..... lol

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 12:45:18 PM »
#
Yep! Mistake will be corrected!

that's good cos I got confused  lol

Welcome to the party its a very interesting and atmospheric period. Have you got the character packs from Full Metal Jacket yet?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »
that's good cos I got confused  lol

Welcome to the party its a very interesting and atmospheric period. Have you got the character packs from Full Metal Jacket yet?
Oh dear, very sorry about that - shame!
I suppose a self-inflicted punishment is required, 25 push ups - or better still, a second order, that's more likely to instill discipline, correct? Punishment for the error of my ways.

Anyway, they'll need some antagonists...

They haven't reached the LZ yet - but post is horribly slow at the moment, so no worries there.
I AM looking forward to them, though.  8)

Word of warning, though - I am not one of the great artists of this forum, and am incredibly slow!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 06:23:40 PM »
Word of warning, though - I am not one of the great artists of this forum, and am incredibly slow!
Me neither (and I still have some RTB-01s to assemble....

http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2017/07/blast-from-past.html

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 06:50:32 PM »
Oh dear, very sorry about that - shame!
I suppose a self-inflicted punishment is required, 25 push ups - or better still, a second order, that's more likely to instill discipline, correct? Punishment for the error of my ways.

Anyway, they'll need some antagonists...

They haven't reached the LZ yet - but post is horribly slow at the moment, so no worries there.
I AM looking forward to them, though.  8)

The whole fun of this hobby is to enjoy it. If you are happy with what you do then thats nothing short of perfect. Never feel pressured to show your toys or embarrassed by what you may feel is not to the very highest standard. That is just not what this hobby should be about. It about fun. We all have far too many things to worry about at the moment. This hobby should be a relief from the pains of the world. Must go now and count the toilet rolls  8)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 07:47:28 PM »
I look forward to see this spiral out of control. I started out with the same idea. But that is not where I ended up ;D

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 07:49:45 PM »
The whole fun of this hobby is to enjoy it. If you are happy with what you do then thats nothing short of perfect. Never feel pressured to show your toys or embarrassed by what you may feel is not to the very highest standard. That is just not what this hobby should be about. It about fun. We all have far too many things to worry about at the moment. This hobby should be a relief from the pains of the world. Must go now and count the toilet rolls  8)

Top post Paul, I couldn’t agree more with the sentiment...

...and I hope your other half has forgiven you for your Huey splurge over the weekend  lol

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 08:29:42 PM »
Shhhhh she may hear you  ;)