Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Torn Liveries  (Read 1737 times)

Offline KarwickWingmaker

• Librarian
Torn Liveries
« on: March 18, 2020, 11:29:44 PM »
Hey all,

For those who enjoy trying new games or (like me) reading rules sets they have no intention of ever playing, this ones for you  :)

my play-tested beta version of the Torn Liveries rules set

FFO Lion Rampant and the like

Cheers

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Torn Liveries
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 06:32:27 AM »
Could you give us a summary of what it's all about?

Offline KarwickWingmaker

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 09:37:11 AM »
Could you give us a summary of what it's all about?

Absolutely! Torn Liveries is a medium-level skirmish wargame set in the Wars of the Roses that can be played in one evening (longest game so far took about 2 hours). It could be used for other similar periods such as the Hundred Years War but that wasn’t the initial aim.

It basically came out of making house rules for Lion Rampant initially to allow for larger games with a bit more depth and then it got to the point where I’d almost made an entirely new game, so then I just took the plunge and just went ahead and made one.

There’s a fantasy supplement I’m currently working on which will be posted on the fantasy forum here at some point I’m sure.

This is just the beta for Torn Liveries so there may be changes, but after playtesting I think the rules are relatively solid and act how I wanted. I’ve been considering adding an “Advanced Rules” section for adding stuff like flank and rear charges and the like, but getting that right will need playtesting of its own.

I hope I’ve answered your question haha!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 10:57:50 AM »

It basically came out of making house rules for Lion Rampant initially to allow for larger games with a bit more depth....

That sounds very familiar.

I have been looking at the exact same thing for Wars of the Roses games, I will be interested to see how your ideas look. Thanks for making them available.

Offline KarwickWingmaker

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 11:58:03 AM »
That sounds very familiar.

I have been looking at the exact same thing for Wars of the Roses games, I will be interested to see how your ideas look. Thanks for making them available.

No worries! Let me know what you think :)

I tried to design the combat to mimic the attrition often described in Wars of the Roses battles, while also keeping the game fun and not just a great slogging match

Offline KarwickWingmaker

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 07:10:04 PM »
For those interested, the rules have been updated once again.

Here is the latest version of Torn Liveries:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6sfc7yc3nlcyvnn/Torn_Liveries_Rules_Manual.pdf/file

Offline maenavia

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 03:32:53 AM »
Looks like it's a good system so far - not too complicated and broken down into all the little niggling details and different soldiery I'd probably fall into. Lovely stuff.

Offline KarwickWingmaker

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 12:11:54 AM »
Looks like it's a good system so far - not too complicated and broken down into all the little niggling details and different soldiery I'd probably fall into. Lovely stuff.

Thanks, that was the aim so I’m glad it comes across like that  :)

You can see how the rules work in my battle report here:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123450.msg1552907#msg1552907

More to come soon hopefully!

As playtesting gets closer to finalising the rules set I will continue to post the new versions on this thread.