Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:12:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Doctor Who Exterminate  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Doctor Who Exterminate
« on: January 18, 2022, 11:12:17 AM »
So I wanted some Daleks.

And maybe some Cybermen.

Mainly to have them (in that childlike gimme gimme way I sometimes have) - possibly to use with rulesets I already have.

So my mate posts up that he's got some Doctor Who stuff including those 2 factions - £15 he says as he's been wanting rid for ages and couldn't sell it. Apparently he's been offering it for £20 and not one bit of interest.

Now I've got a shedload of miniatures for the money and am very happy but it got me to wondering.

Is the game so bad that no-one at all is interested?

I'm looking forward to painting these but won't bother with the game/ruleset if it's truly so awful - the Daleks and Cybermen can duke it out in rules I already have and most of the other minis will slot into existing sci fi games I play.

Here's the stuff I got (he also threw in a Tardis which is perfect size for the scale):

20220118_105012 by markndebs, on Flickr

20220118_105029 by markndebs, on Flickr

20220118_105043 by markndebs, on Flickr

20220118_105104 by markndebs, on Flickr

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Doctor Who Exterminate
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 11:53:18 AM »
Actually the game isn't too bad. It's not overly complex or elaborated in any way, but a proper quick and easy skirmish for an entertaining evening instead of watching a movie or so. One or two hours will see a game. There is mainly the TV show that is what it makes it for me and the surprise sometimes that your opponents are not always what they seen to be (many shapeshifting species!). I really like that you can use all terrain you have as the Doctor is travelling through time and space which makes a good excuse for everything on the table.
I would say it is worth a try, the more if you like the show.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 02:04:08 PM »
Actually the game isn't too bad. It's not overly complex or elaborated in any way, but a proper quick and easy skirmish for an entertaining evening instead of watching a movie or so. One or two hours will see a game. There is mainly the TV show that is what it makes it for me and the surprise sometimes that your opponents are not always what they seen to be (many shapeshifting species!). I really like that you can use all terrain you have as the Doctor is travelling through time and space which makes a good excuse for everything on the table.
I would say it is worth a try, the more if you like the show.

Thank you for the quick answer, I'll get the Daleks and Cybermen sorted and have a playthrough.

If it's not to taste then I reckon One Page Rules and Stargrave will be seeing invaders from a different timeline.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 12:02:45 PM »
So the two primary factions are sorted and I've had a quick glance at the rules; still not sure about the game but Davros has just had a contract put out on him in Stargrave Dead or Alive so him and the Daleks will be seeing some tabletop action very soon.

Bases still need doing on the Cybermen and Missy.

Camera needs charging so here's a couple of phone camera pics.

20220201_113047 by markndebs, on Flickr

20220201_113357 by markndebs, on Flickr

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 12:08:30 PM »
Excellent work! How's your sanity (and eyesight) after all those hemispheres?  ;)
Operating from an abandoned US spy base somewhere in the Australian outback, Miniature Martin produces games and scale miniatures set in parallel worlds, past and future. He is NOT trying to take over the Earth. This time.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 12:21:57 PM »
You've done a cracking job!

What put me off the game was compatibility issues. The size and style of these miniatures just wouldn't fit in with the minis I've collected for Doctor Who.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 04:16:13 PM »
You've done a cracking job!

What put me off the game was compatibility issues. The size and style of these miniatures just wouldn't fit in with the minis I've collected for Doctor Who.

Cheers.

Yes, since getting these I've been looking at older Who stuff - nothing really compatible at all.

Excellent work! How's your sanity (and eyesight) after all those hemispheres?  ;)

Total cheat I'm afraid, painted then a quick rub with thumb to expose the primer below - worked better with the black than the gold, as the gold dried much quicker.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 04:17:48 PM by Spinal Tap »