Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:29:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Confinement... An ECW battle played via WhatsApp (Concluded!)  (Read 12421 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: The Great Confinement... An ECW battle played via WhatsApp
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2020, 11:21:11 AM »
 lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2020, 12:30:51 PM »
more lovely action :-* :-* :-*

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2020, 01:33:42 PM »
My money (& my heart) is still with Parliament.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2020, 06:59:53 PM »
Breathtaking! Eager to see the next turn!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2020, 02:14:22 AM »
.... So the suicide charge actually worked out quite well...
Yep, sounds like my games of ECW.  ::) :D

I look forward to catching up with this game everyday after work.  :)

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2020, 07:05:31 AM »
This really has been great fun to read and gob-smacking to look at. And yes, those Bicorne figures are the bees knees (must resist the urge to dig mine out from the lower basement).
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2020, 10:23:37 AM »
'Resistance is futile' (The Borg collective)
'I can resist anything but temptation' (Oscar Wilde)
Go on dig out those Bicorne Figures.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
I don’t need any encouragement to start faffing around with any more half-completed projects :) I can do that all by myself.

On a completely unrelated matter, Caliver’s 4 volumes of ECW Wargaming Scenarios make excellent lockdown reading (I’m finding).

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2020, 10:31:17 PM »
This really has been great fun to read and gob-smacking to look at. And yes, those Bicorne figures are the bees knees (must resist the urge to dig mine out from the lower basement).

Thanks LT.

Methinks the end approacheth quite near... ;)

Here goes with...

Turn 11

Parliament wins the initiative.

On the Parliamentarian right flank, Silent Invader, manfully holding off the Royalist main advance on Futter’s Farm (backed up by a unit of Dr De'ath's commanded shot), is reduced to just two units, now comprising only five figures between them  :o

Now unfortunately, once a unit drops to half strength or less, it rolls a mere six dice for shooting and fighting, rather than 12 dice. So a unit’s capability to inflict fatal damage on an enemy unit is severely curtailed. If you need (most commonly the case) 5s and 6s to score a hit, and you need three or four hits to take off a figure (dependent on the target unit's stamina, cover, and so on), then when rolling only six dice, that suddenly becomes a pretty tall order unless you strike it very lucky…

So in this case, Lilburne’s veteran Folorn Hope fire at Spoons’ regt. of shot, and Okey’s dragoons fire at Crawley’s dragoons – both successfully activate to fire - but neither manage to inflict anywhere near enough hits to carry off a casualty.

On the Parliamentarian left flank however, the two formed units of New Model shot unload first on Fondling’s Folorn Hope (destroyed – nine hits!) and then on Crawley’s Horse – one killed, the rest break and rout.

Once again, the frame gun doesn’t get to fire – this time, because there’s nobody left for it to shoot at! lol

So the Parliamentarians have cleared the field at the north end of the table. But the Royalists still have four (more or less) intact units south of Futter’s Farm. And it’s their turn next. What will they do to swing the momentum back to them?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2020, 10:35:51 PM »
A POX ON THE KING!

lol

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2020, 07:40:39 AM »
You are keeping us on our toes! Great reading - and pictures of course!!! Cheers!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2020, 07:41:19 AM »
A POX ON THE KING!

lol

You've changed your tune (or is that your allegiance).  :D :D

Great as always Richard.  Are you intending to give your thoughts on the rules at the end of the game?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2020, 08:00:20 AM »

Great as always Richard.  Are you intending to give your thoughts on the rules at the end of the game?

Well I could.
I suspect many people are already familiar with them, or with one or more of their Mersey-created ‘Rampant’ siblings. I think they all follow much the same system / mechanics, with some tweaks here and there for period specific flavour, and various minor changes as each set adapts improvements from the preceding editions.

Overall I find them pleasingly straightforward, very well designed, very clearly set out and explained, and they seem to give a good game which ebbs and flows.
Once you’ve stripped out the intro, scenarios, army lists, and description of the different unit types, leadership traits, and their respective capabilities, the actual rules mechanics (for how to play the game) take up all of a dozen pages. Which to me is a jolly good thing because I cannot abide over-complex, 100-page books of wargames rules.

Taken at face value, some of the mechanics feel a bit weird at first glance (a unit reduced to one figure, still gets to roll six dice in shooting or attack, for instance), but the mechanics work well within the context of a game. You just have to get past one or two of these seeming oddities, and accept that the rules are designed to provide an enjoyable romp of a wargame, with a good dash of distinctive period flavour. They’re not meant to provide a serious historical simulation, unlike many other uber-heavyweight and po-faced ‘serious’ wargames rules.

So I like them :)

Strangely, I didn’t much like Lion Rampant the few times I played it, but this set seems to me to work much better. Perhaps that’s Michael Leck’s influence as co-author :)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2020, 11:37:47 AM »
Well I could.
I suspect many people are already familiar with them, or with one or more of their Mersey-created ‘Rampant’ siblings. I think they all follow much the same system / mechanics, with some tweaks here and there for period specific flavour, and various minor changes as each set adapts improvements from the preceding editions.

Overall I find them pleasingly straightforward, very well designed, very clearly set out and explained, and they seem to give a good game which ebbs and flows.
Once you’ve stripped out the intro, scenarios, army lists, and description of the different unit types, leadership traits, and their respective capabilities, the actual rules mechanics (for how to play the game) take up all of a dozen pages. Which to me is a jolly good thing because I cannot abide over-complex, 100-page books of wargames rules.

Taken at face value, some of the mechanics feel a bit weird at first glance (a unit reduced to one figure, still gets to roll six dice in shooting or attack, for instance), but the mechanics work well within the context of a game. You just have to get past one or two of these seeming oddities, and accept that the rules are designed to provide an enjoyable romp of a wargame, with a good dash of distinctive period flavour. They’re not meant to provide a serious historical simulation, unlike many other uber-heavyweight and po-faced ‘serious’ wargames rules.

So I like them :)

Strangely, I didn’t much like Lion Rampant the few times I played it, but this set seems to me to work much better. Perhaps that’s Michael Leck’s influence as co-author :)
What can you say about the rules for pikes? For me they became very untypical in this set of rules. In the FB- Pikements Lament there were a good cross-ruling between LR an PL. The mixed units from LR were suggested for Pike&shots. Do you think this make sense for a better period feeling???
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2020, 11:47:42 AM »

We're losing  lol