Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:09:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Confinement... An ECW battle played via WhatsApp (Concluded!)  (Read 12402 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Great Confinement... An ECW battle played via WhatsApp
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2020, 11:16:31 AM »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2020, 11:49:29 AM »
You said Hopton is a fully functional unit, but of course being less than half strength he has a permanent disorder and can only use half dice, yes? (Or am I mixing up different Osprey rulesets here, I have played a lot of Rebels and Patriots since my last TPL game)

Thanks VF. Yes, he’s down to 6 dice instead of 12, but I don’t think permanent disorder is a feature in this particular Mersey rule set. Haven’t played Rebels and Patriots, but I guess that’s a thing in that particular set?

I wonder if at some point there will be a second edition of the entire Rampant oeuvre, in which all the incremental developments are consolidated...

The Thomas Sheffield horse are a most handsome unit  8)

Indeed, painted for me some time ago by the brilliant Redzed. He’s doing a few more units for me at present  :)

Who cares that is a fun and memorable wargame unit Lovely stuff Richard

Cheers Colin.

If I can summon up the strength to run another one over the period of lockdown, I shall extend an invitation to your goodself   ;)

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2020, 11:50:18 AM »
Thanks for including us in this game with your action reports and comments.
The table and minis looks magnificients

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2020, 11:52:04 AM »
Merci beaucoup  :) Bon chances.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2020, 03:21:21 PM »
This is truly inspirational. A marvellous idea and top-notch terrain and figures. It's so inspired me that I've ordered some more Bicorne cavalry to see what I can do with them.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
Really enjoying the game report, turn by turn. Whilst the figures are out, is there any chance of a separate thread with some close-up photos of your beautifully painted ECW units? Would love to see them in detail. 

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
Excellent stuff Richard.  :-* 8)  Always good to see any of your beautiful collection. 

"God save the King!" (Living close to Oxford there can be no other option  ;) )
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2020, 09:02:21 PM »
Thanks Paul :)

Whilst the figures are out, is there any chance of a separate thread with some close-up photos of your beautifully painted ECW units? Would love to see them in detail. 

I'll see what I can do over the next few days M'Lud... :)

It's so inspired me that I've ordered some more Bicorne cavalry to see what I can do with them.

lol I'm glad to hear that Paul (By the way, I'm now halfway through painting that unit of musketeers I showed you... )

Anyway, back to the game - Parliamentarian turn 6…

Sir Melville Gibson’s veteran commanded shot successfully activate to fire on Hopton’s blew dragoons, and manage to get enough hits to take off one casualty. The dragoons’ morale holds however.

Okey’s dragoons jump the hedge from the lane and canter through the gorse, whilst Lilburne’s veteran Folorn Hope jump the hedge into the mown hayfield…

Dragoons in the gorse…

It’s now almost starting to look like a proper battle! ;)

Remembering their objective, Dr De’ath orders Nathaniel Crowe’s company of commanded shot to pull back and secure the barn and grain store – not sure they realise there’s another door though! lol

Sheffield’s Horse move up to the hedge, and Gibson’s raw shot unit crosses into the lane behind the gun.

Crowe’s regt. of shot have already rolled to successfully rally at the start of the Parliamentarian turn.
Lilburne’s regt. of shot now tries to activate to fire on Sir Ralph Hopton – and fails. FRICTION! Neither they nor the frame gun get to fire.

That’s turn six over. Dice for initiative for turn seven: Parliamentarian initiative, so the Roundheads go again…

Turn 7

Silent Invader now orders something resembling a tactical withdrawal, suddenly pulling his dragoons and Folorn Hope back to create a defensive line in front of the barn, in the farmhouse garden.

Gibson’s commanded shot now fire on Spoons’ Greencoats behind the farmhouse, taking off another casualty. (That commanded shot unit, has cumulatively done a LOT of damage, despite having lost two casualties themselves early on in the game… )

Nathaniel Crowe’s commanded shot now come over the farmyard wall (or through the barn) into the farmyard, where they are joined by Lilburne’s regt. of shot, advancing at last. They roll a double 6 for their move activation, and then a 4 on the effects table – giving them the right to take another activation this turn.

Sheffield’s Horse and the frame gun move up again, with Gibson’s raw shot bringing up the rear.

Looks like a heroic showdown is on the cards for Fondling’s Folorn Hope!

Finally, Crowe’s regt. of shot unleash another salvo on Sir Ralph Hopton, and finally he is finished off.

Lilburne’s shot now take their second bonus activation and advance again. Things are not looking too promising for the Royalists on this flank.

In fact things are not looking too promising for the Royalists, period.
They've lost two entire units either routed or destroyed, and the Parliamentarians have control of both sets of doors to the barn and grain store, and all their units more or less intact.

The King’s army needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat pretty fast if they're going to save the day…

Royalist orders for turn 7, yet to be received…

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2020, 10:20:34 PM »
Brilliant stuff  :-*
Why do I keep thinking someone is pregnant? ;)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2020, 10:46:21 PM »
Still looking good :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2020, 11:07:08 PM »
A POX ON PARLIAMENT!

lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2020, 11:22:59 PM »
Beautiful figures and terrain Captain!
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2020, 07:03:00 AM »
Getting very exciting.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2020, 07:28:11 AM »
One wish, moi capitan: One picture at the start of the game of the whole table to keep the overview. Sometimes it is hard to follow the game and it is very exciting to see this. (BTW you made so many walls and hedges, was it a hard year only doing this walls and hedges for the table????  ;) ) The figues from bicorn seems to be very good. Do they fit with the empress stuff???
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2020, 08:14:28 AM »
One wish, moi capitan: One picture at the start of the game of the whole table to keep the overview. Sometimes it is hard to follow the game and it is very exciting to see this. (BTW you made so many walls and hedges, was it a hard year only doing this walls and hedges for the table????  ;) ) The figues from bicorn seems to be very good. Do they fit with the empress stuff???

I will try to keep posting pictures of the overall battlefield from time to time, Dirk  :)

The walls and hedges are all bought, so no hard work required. I did spend some time improving the walls though, with some washes of colour and the addition of tufts, flock, flowers etc.

I love the Bicorne and Renegade ECW figures by Nick Collier. No, they don’t really fit with the Empress ECW figures, which have a very distinctive look and feel, quite unlike anything else. I bought a few of the Empress packs, but just couldn’t get on with them. Surface detail too shallow. Very unenjoyable and difficult to paint. Wonderful detail in the costuming, but rather stiff in the posing. All in all, just not my cup of tea  :?