Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Confinement... An ECW battle played via WhatsApp (Concluded!)  (Read 12411 times)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Great Confinement... An ECW battle played via WhatsApp
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »
Richard: I'm really looking forward to seeing those musketeers after you've finished them. They're great poses. From a personal point of view, I just wish they were wearing 12 Apostles and carrying musket rests.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2020, 08:22:56 AM »
Yes, these mysterious ‘musketeers at rest’ packs seem a mixed bag, equipment wise. Some do have apostles, but most don’t. They are described as having firelocks. Maybe that accounts for the variation in equipment.
Very few of the Bicorne/Renegade musketeer packs have musket rests, as I’m sure you know. I guess they are depicting later years of the ECW, when the musket rest apparently fell out of use.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2020, 10:17:32 AM »
NurgleHH: my experience with the Empress ECW range is much the same as Captain Blood's.  My collection is mainly based around figures sculpted by the Perrys (Foundry and Perry Miniatures), Nick Collier (TAG and a few Bicorne) and Paul Hicks (Bohemian Troops), although I'm hoping to add some 1898 Miniatures and some Avanpost.  I've bought some Empress figures in the past and I've concluded that they don't match in very well. It's a real shame because their range includes some figures which I really like, which I could use and which no-one else makes. Their mounted dragoons are just what I'm looking for - casual poses, enough but subtle variety of pose and genuine dragoon horses, but I just don't think they look right when mixed in with my existing figures. I'm not sure why that is. One old sculptor (who had better remain nameless) said that he thought that the Empress figures were too long in the arm, but I don't think I've heard that from anyone else, so maybe it isn't right. Anyway, I'd love to see photos from anyone who thinks Empress can be mixed successfully, perhaps on a separate thread. 

Richard: that's my understanding on musket rests too. I think that while some muskets were used without rests before the ECW -by dragoons, for example- it was during the ECW that musket rests ceased to be used generally, mainly because muskets were becoming lighter.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »
I bought a few of the Empress packs, but just couldn’t get on with them. Surface detail too shallow. Very unenjoyable and difficult to paint. Wonderful detail in the costuming, but rather stiff in the posing. All in all, just not my cup of tea  :?
This is my problem with them. Seems the details are lost from the sculpt figure to the customer. I think they are nice, the posing is very limited to thre or four poses. Better than the warlord figures, some of the warlords seem to be a comic version. But the bicorn are really interesting
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2020, 11:30:39 PM »
Royalist Turn 7...

Hopton’s blew dragoons finally - third time lucky - succeed in firing well enough to inflict casualties on Sir Melville Gibson’s veteran commanded shot, still lurking behind the hedge in the gorse patch. Two more skirmishers downed, and only two remaining. Yet still they pass a morale check with flying colours.

At the other end of the table, Fondling’s pinkcoat veteran Folorn Hope succeed in activating to fire on Sheffield’s Parliamentarian horse, and remove one casualty (the Roundheads hold firm with high morale).

Back to the other end, and Spoons’ commanded shot successfully activate to skirmish – they make a half move up through the gorse, and fire, succeeding in finishing off the last of Gibson’s commanded shot. That’s the first Parliamentarian unit eliminated  :o
Are things finally turning in the King’s favour?

Astley’s bluecoat shot clamber over the wall into the gorse, and Crawley’s dragoons advance up to the edge of the mown hayfield…

Spoons’ regt. of shot manage to just about get a shot in on Lilburne’s Folorn Hope. Even boosting the Folorn Hope's stamina from 3 to 5 (one for the cover, and one for half Spoons' unit shooting round the corner!) the greencoats manage to carry off one casualty. But the veteran Folorn Hope stands firm.

And finally, Crawley’s regt. of horse appear to carry on trying to outflank the Parliamentarian left flank…

That’s the end of turn 7. Dice for initiative for turn 8 and the Royalists win – they go first.

A general view of the situation at the end of turn 7, seen from the south…

And from the north...

Turn 8

The Royalists go first…

Fondling’s veteran Folorn Hope carry on where they left off, blasting away at Sheffield’s Horse, and taking two more casualties off.
Still the tough Roundhead cavalrymen stand firm, despite being reduced to half strength (not long after arriving on the battlefield! :()

Much moving takes place on the Royalist left flank at the other end of the table. Astley’s bluecoats and both units of dragoons move forward to new positions.
Spoons’ regt. of shot hold their position behind the farmhouse, and Spoons’ commanded shot try to fire on Okey’s dragoons - but fail their activation. FRICTION!

Back on the other flank, finally, on turn 8, after 7 turns of trotting patiently across the table, Crawley’s Horse actually get into action.
They successfully test to activate using their caracole ability – basically this means they can make a half move - 4” for ‘trotters’ - fire their pistols – range 6” – and then, if the target of their attack begins wavering, they can make a follow up attack into hand-to-hand combat.
This follow-up attack, by the way, doesn’t have to be restricted to their remaining available 4” – it’s another full 8” move.
I read that in the FAQs on the Mersey Rules forum. Worth knowing...
... although, given that pistol range is only 6”, they can’t ever be more than 6” away from their target unit. Therefore they can’t ever make a follow up charge of further than 6”, can they?
But I digress… :D

Their shooting takes off another figure. Sheffield’s Horse are down to just two men - and they’ve only properly been on the table for two turns!

Nonetheless, their morale remains rock solid (4 or more on 2D6, which even with minus 4 for casualties sustained, isn't too much of a stretch).
So since Sheffield's Horse are NOT reduced to wavering by the shooting, Crawley’s Horse are not able to execute the second part of the caracole.
it of an anti-climax, but there you go…

That’s the Royalist turn 8 concluded. Over to the Parliamentarians, to attempt to exact a bloody price in revenge!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2020, 12:07:53 AM »
GOD SAVE THE KING!

lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2020, 02:12:22 PM »
Turn 8 continued… Parliamentarians…

(Are you getting bored with this yet? I sense the players are… lol)

Okey’s dragoons fire on Hopton’s blew dragoons and knock off another figure.

Lilburne’s Folorn Hope make to fire on Spoons commanded shot, but as they are ‘hard to target’ they can only be shot at in 12” or less - so the shooters find they are out of range. Doh!

On the other flank, the Parliamentarian forces steadily close in, comprehensively boxing in the isolated Royalist left wing…

In activating one of his shot units to move up to the wall, Dr De’ath rolls (well, I roll for him) another double 6. And on a follow up roll of 3, he regains the first salvo for one of his shot units. Bonus!

And the frame gun fails to fire – again  ::)

Turn 9

The Parliamentarians win the initiative.

Lilburne’s Folorn Hope fire on Hopton’s blew dragoons, kill two, and the rest of the unit breaks and runs  :o :(

Okey’s dragoons skirmish forward down the lane bordering the gorse, firing on Spoons’ commanded shot. They knock off one figure, and make them waver.

Much Parliamentarian shooting now ensues at the Royalists in the killing box. They're queueing up to blast 'em, and Nathaniel Crowe's regt. of shot, with it's regained 'first salvo' bonus of +1, is hitting on 3s or more :o
In the ensuing firestorm, Fondling’s Folorn Hope lose half their strength and fall back wavering. Crawley’s Horse lose a figure but hold firm.

And the frame gun fails to fire – again  lol  Completely useless...

Royalist turn 9

Fondling’s Folorn Hope rallies, and Crawley’s Horse attack the remainder of Sheffield’s Horse. Each lose one figure in the ensuing melee, but neither loses its morale check, and as the attacker – in the event of a draw – Crawley’s Horse fall back half a move.

At the other end of the table, Spoons’ commanded shot manage to rally, Crawley’s dragoons advance up the hayfield in a skirmish move, fire, but don’t succeed in rolling any hits. 12 misses  ::)

Astley’s bluecoats however, do successfully fire on Okey’s dragoons and knock off another figure (their morale doesn’t crack though).

And Spoons’ regt. of shot, largely intact, STILL lurk inactive behind the farmhouse… Hmmm. I'm sure there's a strategy at work here... Possibly...  lol

;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2020, 02:23:55 PM »
Speaking as a player, I am not at all bored, far from it in fact. Working from limited info makes it really quite tense.  :o

Thank you for putting up with us Richard!  8)

Are you enjoying it still?  :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:25:59 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2020, 02:33:49 PM »
Well I will be extremely au fait with the rules after this  lol

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2020, 03:18:29 PM »
Well I will be extremely au fait with the rules after this  lol

Would've been nice beforehand  ;D

I'm certainly not bored but I don't think I'm keen on these rules. They seem too abstract for my tastes although I'd be happy to give it a go in person.

God save the King and all that jazz  ;D

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2020, 02:33:18 AM »
I’m certainly not bored , I’m avidly following every twist and turn . May I suggest placing some cotton wool smoke to indicate who’s firing . :) The frame gun can be devastating , btw , if it can be jockeyed into firing . I can appreciate how frustrating it may be for the players, giving orders without being present at the table. These rules reflect the amateur nature of the Civil War , essentially civilians called to the Colours who gradually learned their trade by hard campaigning over the years . Brilliant thread , although you may feel the need of a reviving glass at the end , Captain.  ;)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2020, 02:38:26 AM »
I’m enjoying it :) The terrain I thinks helps vastly, if it was a grass mat,a few 4ground trees,and a building,it may be a bit blah ;) But. It’s. Not.  :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
Not boring at all. Studying the photos of all those lovely figures has been very enjoyable. I've even ordered a pack of Bicorne musketeers, which is all your fault! Not another project of course, just a few for fun!   ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2020, 10:45:44 AM »
Not boring at all. Studying the photos of all those lovely figures has been very enjoyable. I've even ordered a pack of Bicorne musketeers, which is all your fault! Not another project of course, just a few for fun!   ;)

Haha! So it begins... >:D lol

Turn 10

Royalists win the initiative.

Spoons' commanded shot in the gorse, fire on Okey’s dragoons in the lane, and take off another figure. They fail their morale check and fall back wavering.

At the other end of the table, Fondling’s veteran Folorn Hope fire on Gibson’s raw shot, and take off another figure there too.
Gibson’s however, pass their morale check and stand their ground behind the wall.

Crawley’s Horse attack the sole survivor of Sheffield’s horse but fail to kill him, and – the result being a draw – they have to fall back again  ::)

Spoons’ veteran greencoat regiment of shot clamber over the farmyard wall into the field, and Astley’s shot fire on Okey’s dragoons - but fail to score enough hits to take off another figure.

Finally, Crawley’s dragoons fire point blank at Lilburne’s veteran Folorn Hope and manage to remove two figures. Nonethless, Lilburne’s Folorn Hope pass their morale check.

Now it’s the Parliamentarian turn…

Okey’s dragoons immediately succeed in rallying, and Lilburne’s veteran Folorn Hope, now reduced to six dice, return fire on Crawley’s dragoons, and succeed in taking off a figure. Their morale holds firm though.

Up on the other flank, the expected slaughter fails to take place, as the very first activation of the Parliamentarian units here (Sheffield’s lonely horseman to fire his pistol) results in a double 1 activation - MASSIVE FRICTION :o

So that is not only a failure which ends the Parliamentarian turn, stops four other units activating, and prevents (probable) wholesale slaughter of the Royalist right wing, but also results (with a follow up roll of 4 on the back of the double 1) in another ‘negative’ outcome of the testing unit suddenly kicking off into an involuntary attack on the nearest enemy!

Thus Sheffield’s horse(man) launches a kamikaze attack against Crawley’s Horse.

In the ensuing melee, he is of course killed – but manages to take one of Crawley’s Horse with him.

And in the ensuing morale check (because they lost a figure), Crawley’s Horse become wavering and fall back half a move! (So the suicide charge actually worked out quite well for the Parliamentarians).

End of turn 10!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »
"What dost thou plan to do today, Sheffield?
"I planneth to kill you, Crawley!"
"That's big talk coming from a Parliamentarian fat ma- Oh shit he's charging us!"
 lol
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt